Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 81704 times)

Offline Barson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 10:08:12 PM »
Had a small pain in left knee and my docter incorectly diagnosed with this at 26, but it is more common in younger childs/ teens.
About a year later or less, i dislocated my left knee and tore the ACL!!!!  :'(

I recommend getting an MRI just incase! I had some pain on and off for a while before I did this!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 02:49:41 PM by Barson »

Offline elbingz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 10:48:46 AM »
I had Osgood Schlatters when I was 14 yrs old.  I had it in both knees and had each leg immobilized and put in casts for 4 weeks each.

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2006, 07:03:11 PM »
how long did it last ? my son like you has it in both knees ,immobilised in plaster, operated on both knees but no better

Offline KeraDawn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 10:43:10 AM »
Ok folks here is my story.  When I was in like 3rd grade I started having lots of knee pain on both sides, we found out that I was one of those lucky (haha) kids that grew an inch in about a week instead of the normal month.  The Dr.s said it was "Growing Pains" and there was nothing they could do, take Asprin and rest.  I took so much Asprin that I started having alergic reactions to it and had to start taking Tylinol(sp?) and I still have to be very carefull taking Asprin. Anyway the pain stoped sometime in 5th grade but I still had problems with my knees, you know that strech in PE where you sit and bend one leg back to your side I still (I'm 38) can't do it because it hurts, and prologned cool, wet weather kills me.  Growing up the only sporting activity i did was swimming and I lived at the pool (mom was the maniger) every summer till 6th grade.  In jr. & sr. high I continued to do some swimming and a little track where I had to stick to sprints or the pain would start.

My question is was the Osgood's caused by a growth disorder or is the fast growth part of Osgood's?  It seems my pain related to growth started at an earlier age than normal, by the time I entered 6th grade I'm sure I had arthritus in both knees and I would have been 12 or 13 by then.
Peace
   KeraDawn

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2006, 01:15:52 PM »
we have always been told fast growth plus overuse (too much sports) causes OSD.The tendons cannot keep up with the bone growth.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2006, 03:27:39 PM »
That is what my doc said too. The tendons could not keep up with the bone growth.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline KeraDawn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2006, 10:12:46 PM »
Ok the growth causing tendons to be overstressed or torn makes sense and it's what we figured happened, it still doesn't answer is the fast growth part of Osgood's or something else.  Wasen't I very young when it started?  I knew I had aurthritus in both knees by the age everybody i'v heard about is just starting to have the pain.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 10:17:08 PM by KeraDawn »
Peace
   KeraDawn

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 02:50:50 AM »
Everyone grows differently. My son has it but he did not get his big growth spurt until age 16. It's like puberty, we all go thru it at different times and at different levels.
missy

PS, Osgood schlatters does not cause the growth,,,,, the growth triggers the OS.
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline KeraDawn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 06:38:49 AM »
We are getting there now, that's half the answer ;D thank you.  Now what causes the growth?
Peace
   JoAnn
Peace
   KeraDawn

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
Hormones, mother nature, kids just GROW. In my humble opinion, I think it can be genetic too. My husband had it badly as a child and both of our children have it. My knees were fine until a car accident. Never had any trouble with OS and I am 5' 8" tall. I had a huge growth spurt in high school but never had knee problems. In 2 years, I went from 4'9" to the now 5'8".  The most important thing to me is, there is no "cure" for it. It is tough to see my kids in pain. Thankfully, they are outgrowing most of it.

missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline laxplayer5

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2006, 11:14:23 PM »
I would just us the knee straps and ice after activities.
December 01-Chromadic Pattela tracking problem
January 06- Tear in Patellar Tendon (no surgery
Febuary 06-Paralysis Sprees gone now
March 06- knee tendinitis in L and R
August 06- suspected meniscus tear

Offline rouellon

• Regular Poster
  • I can see the light at the end of the tunnel NOW!
    • All about me!
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2006, 08:31:09 PM »
I had knee pain through out my childhood, spoke to the doctors about this and they did nothing (was in Canada at the time).  They all said athat it had to do with the fact that I have high arches in my feet.  It wasn't until I had a medial tibial plateau fracture that the doctor was able to see the OSD.  So I never had any treatment for it.....  I just had orthodics and was told to jog on the grass and not the cement.  Has anyone heard of this before?

P.S.  Nothing bad about Canadian Doctors but now that I am living in the US again I can see the difference in the quality of physicians and the level of care. 
May 7-  Fell off ATV, diagnosed with medial TPF of the left knee
May 9- Saw OS 1st time aspirated knee (what releaf!)
May 16- Saw OS X ray taken Told up to 12 weeks NWB and 4 months bf I can be on horse again
May 23- Saw OS X ray again NC
June 12- Bone gowth PWB and Bike exercise

Offline kneepainpain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »
Hey.
I was diagnosed at 13 with OS in my right knee. I could barely walk, let alone straighten my knee or do any sports. I tried pain killers, strapping it up, resting, icing etc.
It finally settled down after 3 years, but now at 22, I'm still having issues with my right lower knee.
I don't see how having it in a cast for 6 weeks will help. I was told to strech the back of my knee, and strenghten my front thigh - but i was told this at 17 (recurrent episodes of pain). Not sure how true it is.
Sarah

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 02:34:03 PM »
my son has had very bad OSD for 18 months now, he is house bound because of the pain on walking .A year ago the OS operated on both knees for Osgood, something called a forage,and when he came round one of his legs was plastered hip to toe.It didnt do anything to cure his OSD but it did give him respite from the pain while the plaster was on that leg as he couldnt bend it.as soon as the OS cut off the plaster it was back with a vengence,and it also was a total inconvienance,couldnt sit on toilet seat properly or get trousers on or shower etc.

Offline shelbelly04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 11:09:41 PM »
I read your story!! that's terrible.  What's happend sence?  I have OSD and i am 32.  I have been told that No doctor in my area (Farmington NY)  Has ever heard of Osgood's in an adult.  I'm in so much pain , i can barley walk by night fall.  There is one doc that might try mayjor surgery.  HELP!!  What is YOUR next corse of action?  Noone will help me and i feel like a freak of nature!! I cant where shorts because they are out 2-3 inches on each knee.  My 7 year old begs me to go on the trampiline w him and I cant.  I'm so mad that noone will help me.  -Michelle
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:11:58 PM by shelbelly04 »