Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 81453 times)

Offline racquijack

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »
plzzz someone help me!! i have severe knee pain. i was dignosed with osgood schlatters but i cant run or play any sports. is it always this severe? he wants to do an MRI on it if it doesnt get better. does anyone know anything that makes it better? if u do plz tell me. i will do anything. i play soccer, indoor soccer, footsole, dance team, basketball, gymnastics, and track(distance running). sports r my life plzzzzzzzzz help me!!!
                                      thanx niki
ps-reply plz

Hey Nikki,
My daughter has Osgood Schlatters. The doctor told her that outside pain medication (whatever your doctor says, probably just tylenol) there isn't much you can do. My daughter plays soccer too and I think all of the direction change is quite a strain on the knees too. But anyway, the good news is that he says that it isn't damaging your knee and that it usually goes away by the time you turn 13-14. She grits her teeth and bares it. Tell your coaches what is going on and get advice from your doctor on minimizing the pain. Good luck.
Hey, if you are older than 13-14, I might try getting it looked at again.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 08:40:18 AM »
Hey Nicki :)
I have had both Osgood Schlatters and have had a meniscus tear fixed twice in the same leg. If you want to IM me i'd be more than willing to talk about it with you :) Meniscus tears can definitley hurt, they are pretty temperamental as well, mine mainly hurt when i was twisting.
 :D Pip
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 10:27:20 PM »
hey pip,
           at first my doc. said i had osgood schlatters so i got the MRI u  know and it was a meniscus tear.... should i get a new doc.? he was way off on the dignoses or w/e.....
 :-\ Nicki

Offline msatc03

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Sports Injury Info
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 04:56:48 AM »
even though it may seem like he was way off, he actually did exactly the right thing by getting the MRI to make sure. Clinical tests, like poking and pulling on your leg/knee can only tell so much, and often times several injuries can look similiar. Meniscus tears are not really common in 12-14 year olds, but Osgood Schlatters is. So I wouldn't write him off just yet.

As far as meniscus tears...depending on the size of the tear, and where it is in the meniscus, it can sometimes heal on its own. While this is not as common in adults, it is much more possible in younger people, like yourself. So the best medicine is to let it rest, let the knee calm down, and then see how things are. As your pain subsides, and things get back to normal with everyday activities, you should be able to start in sports very gradually. Then, depending on how well it healed, you will know what is next.

Surgery for this is usually fairly simple, and recovery time on average is 4-6 weeks for everyday activities and a couple months for sports. Of course, everyone is different. Your OS wants to avoid surgery if he can, which is why he suggested letting it heal.

if you want to know a bit more about meniscus tears, this might be of interest...
http://www.sports-injury-info.com/torn-meniscus.html

Hope this helps.

Bart
Bart Anderson MS,ATC
Certified Athletic Trainer
Midwest Sports Medicine Center
http://www.sports-injury-info.com

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 12:09:52 AM »
hey thanx for that sight!!!
well... is it possible to have both knees with a torn meniscus? because both of my knees have been hurting. the doc. only did an mri on one of them so.. he doesnt know about the other one and the inside of my knee hurts just as much as the outside is that just a sidefect of it being torn because i thought the pain was only on the outside. :-\ o by the way im 13.

thanx,
       nicki

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 04:49:39 AM »
Hey Nicki,

I agree with Bart, your doctor took the preventitive measure of ordering an MRI just to make sure. Osgood Schlatters usually presents as a bump below your knee on the top of your tibia. From what i gather knee problems are complex, when i had my first surgery to fix my torn meniscus i actually went in to have surgery to fix a supposed discoid meniscus which was causing a meninscal cyst on the side of my leg, however both the doctor and the MRI were wrong, it happens! The important thing is that the problem was fixed, as yours will be.
If you are concerened that you may have damage in your other knee as well asked to get it checked out. It is possible to have a torn meniscus in both knees, especially if you have had some kind of accident that would cause this.

Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 10:48:32 PM »
pip,
how long did yours take to heal after surgery? hopefully i wont have to get surgery. and r u back to playing sports and stuff again? im scared that once i go back to playing im going to be weak and maybe injure myself again. :( i sure hope not.
thanx
       nicki

Offline SKOM

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 03:41:50 PM »
Well I guess this is no longer the Osgood Schlatters post? Good for the patient.  :)
ACL/PCL Reconstruction (96)
Partial Medial Meniscectomy (03)
Post Lateral Corner reinforcement (too help with Laxity issues) (03)
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (05)
ACL/PCL Revision (05) Hamstring, Achilles Allografts.

Leader of the "Lax" Knee Clan!

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 02:45:11 PM »
yea its not osgood schlatters anymore. haha  :D

Offline SKOM

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 09:00:28 PM »
unsticky please.
ACL/PCL Reconstruction (96)
Partial Medial Meniscectomy (03)
Post Lateral Corner reinforcement (too help with Laxity issues) (03)
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (05)
ACL/PCL Revision (05) Hamstring, Achilles Allografts.

Leader of the "Lax" Knee Clan!

CNL

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 02:31:39 AM »
Hi everyone!!!!! im new to this board ;D

Offline jlyn74

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 07:02:33 PM »
speaking of osgood-schlatter's, ok i'm new to this site & not an avid chat room user, but i need answers...i was diagnosed with os at age 12, told by ortho dr. that pain would stop by age 18, i'm now 31, pain getting worse - now constant & excrutiating,  :'(especially when standing from a sitting position or climbing stairs, anyone else suffering as an adult? any suggestions???

Offline dimples3887

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:00 PM »
jlyn74,

I would definitely go get your knees looked at because with Osgood-Schlatter's disease, it is possible to pull of a small piece of bone and have it cause you all the pain and soreness.  It's definitely worth getting looked at though. 

Wishing good knee days to all!
21 yrs. old
LK: 6/02-LR(fail)
     9/05-MRI shows patella bone bruise
     12/15/05-Medial reefing, LR, patella debridement (fail)
     TTT to be scheduled after RK TTT rehab is done...
Pain, clicking, and crepitus in both knees now...
RK: 11/19/08 - TTT

Offline Angelam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006, 08:57:13 PM »
 ;) try pool therapy in a heated pool. then 15 minutes in a spa afterwards it helps with the pain.  And  it will help with any sports injury,because there is no weight on the injury. I injuried my right knee and had my activities taken away -it drives me crazy,but the pool really helps.

Offline messed^kneegurl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 05:24:51 AM »
plzzz someone help me!! i have severe knee pain. i was dignosed with osgood schlatters but i cant run or play any sports. is it always this severe? he wants to do an MRI on it if it doesnt get better. does anyone know anything that makes it better? if u do plz tell me. i will do anything. i play soccer, indoor soccer, footsole, dance team, basketball, gymnastics, and track(distance running). sports r my life plzzzzzzzzz help me!!!
                                      thanx niki
ps-reply plz

that sux im so sry, ive had knee prob 2, i had the same thing. but very suttle then it went away but then i tore my acl i 2 am very active competitive soccer, volleyball, softball, skiing, biking, ice skating, swimming, hiking, and anything that keeps ur heart pounding. Ne way scar tissue built up and i could play soccer!!!! ;D very kewl right... wrong hurt it again plus lateral meniscal tear. i got sugery the day b4 thnxgiving.  all was goin gud then i slipped on the ice 9 weeks out and broke my kneecap im goin  in 4 surgery on monday
sports r my life 2 i know how ya fell and im only 14 man o man i don't think i can really tell u ne thing about ur problem but i feel 4 ya hun i really do
olivia