Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 81691 times)

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osgood Schlatters
« on: August 26, 2005, 11:35:54 PM »
plzzz someone help me!! i have severe knee pain. i was dignosed with osgood schlatters but i cant run or play any sports. is it always this severe? he wants to do an MRI on it if it doesnt get better. does anyone know anything that makes it better? if u do plz tell me. i will do anything. i play soccer, indoor soccer, footsole, dance team, basketball, gymnastics, and track(distance running). sports r my life plzzzzzzzzz help me!!!
                                      thanx niki
ps-reply plz

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 09:58:59 PM »
There is no "cure" for osgood schlatters. Both of my kids as well as my hubby have it. The only thing that will aleviate the pain is to stop your activities. My daughter tried wearing one of those bands around her knee and that helped somewhat but reduction in activitie and rest are the only things that will slow down the progression of Osgood. Ice and aleve can help reduce swelling but there isnt a cure. On the bright side, the pain ususally stops when you stop growing.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »
Like Missy said there is no cure for Osgood Schlatters. My best friend has it. I don't think she has it that bad though. Some days are worse than others. She still cheerleads though thats about te only thing that she does do. But she can't jump or anything. Her OS told her that it would go away when she stops growing. She's only 13 though. I know how you feel about sports. I do Volleyball, Basketball, Track (ran hurdles and Long distance), Softball, Dance, Gymnastics. It is hard not to be involved. I had surgery in July for torn cartilage and its hard to have to sit on the sides and not do anything. But don't do anything to make your situation worse. I did that and now wish that I hadn't. Good luck Nikki!! I'm here for you if you ever need to chat.

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 10:16:03 PM »
thanx guys your the best!
 i cant wait till i get this MRI done to c if it is rly osgoods or not. your right it is horrible sitting on the side lines watching. but its like everytime i try to play i can only play 15 min. b4 i have to sit out the rest of the game. everyone at school keeps telling me stuff bout soccer and asking me stuff, i dont think they've gotten use to me not bein there. i ve been playing for over 7 years(im 13). gotta go.
 thanx again, niki

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 10:34:01 PM »
hey everyone, is anyone else besides me dealing with depression since your knee pain. it feels like its taking over my whole life!! i cant do sports at all which is what probably depresses me the most. it feels like im not good for anything. all i want to do is play sports. another thing that sux about it is my parents fight all the time and all they do is yell at me so i cant go any where to get away. i use to b in every thing possible to just stay away from them as much as possible... plz help me. do u know any ways of dealing with depression? if u do plz reply.
thanx,
        nicki

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 11:25:43 PM »
Do you have a school counselor that you can talk to nicki? They might be able to help. Maybe a favorite teacher? It would be best if you could go talk to your family doctor but if not, the school counselor would be your second best shot. We all get depressed now and then. It comes along with the territory with knee problems. I hope that you are feeling better soon. You could always do what my daughter does, she goes into her room and listens to her music ALOT. 

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 11:37:04 PM »
Nicki,
What about a best friend. Or you could just talk to some of us. I know exactly how you're feeling with sports and it's really hard to be home. I tried talking to my counselor but she really didn't seem to get it. Maybe yours will or like Missy said a favorite teacher. If you want to talk just IM me. I'm here for you and understand what you're going through. Btw I'm 14. Have you though about maybe being manager for some of the sports you like to play?? Well like I said don't hesitate to IM me. Hope that you're feeling better.

Morgan
*14 years old*

8/9/05 Possible RSD???

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 03:38:55 PM »
hey nicki
            my son has osgood schlatters very badly,he had MRI scans to check there was no underlying  cause which confirmed osd,he had to stop rugby,and the pain stops him going to school as he cant climb stairs or walk without being in chronic pain.they have operated on both knees and put him in plaster to immobilise him but nothing worked,he has it bi-laterally.he takes many tablets but none really takes the pain totally away.He gets very depressed as he doesnt see his peers and never really leaves the house,I am trying to find a wheelchair basketball team as he could compete in that and make new friends.If you want to chat to him about it i will give him your e-mail address,he is 15 and cant wait to stop growing .

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 05:40:39 AM »
Hey Nicki, i had osgood schlatters as a child and i understand how painful it can be! I had days where i couldn't walk and run easily but it really does get better with age. It usually stops after you finish growing. I had mine when i was about 12-15 years. I continued to play sport through some of this time which probably isn't a great idea. I have the massive lump under my knee still, now 9 years later... Apparently if you rest the lump subsides. Mine isn't painful anymore but it makes kneeling really difficult because of where it lies. Just take it easy, the pain won't be forever :)
Goodluck!
Pip
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline dalvino

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 10:27:10 PM »
Niki,

Hang in there kiddo! You have your whole life in front of you. It is really easy to get down when you are in pain and watching everyone around you enjoy the activities that you enjoy and they appear to not be in any pain. Unfortunatly, I have been in pain on and off almost my entire 35 years. I began life in knee braces and let me tell you..knee braces were not very attractive in 1974. I recently ruptured my patellar tendon and am post-op struggling to regain flex and strength. However, keep in mind that the only true strength is that which we carry in our heads and hearts. I wish you the very best of luck and remember "you can't keep a top dogg down long"

Dalvino

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 02:23:56 AM »
thanx for your suggestions.
lately i ve been feeling much better i dont rly know y but it was like one day i felt horrible and the next i was back to my old self. thanx again. im getting my MRI in 2 days so mayb thats y i was stressing.  i cant wait to finally c whats wrong with my knees!!!!! my friend derek has been having problems with his back(he tore a muscle and cant play any of his sports either :( ) so we have been going to all the games together it helps so much to have someone who is also going threw the same thing. well, i ll let u know how the MRI goes.
luv,
   nicki :D

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 09:23:45 PM »
i got my MRI today. they said that it was a moseclus tear or something. :'( has anyone ever heard of that b4?? if u have plz tell me how long it took to heal or something plz!!! the MRI  showed it wasnt osgood schlatters so.... yea i knew it wasnt that  ::) well i better get goin

nicki

ps-reply plz!!!

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 11:56:43 PM »
whoops sry i spelled moseclus wrong  ;) its rly meniscus.

nicki

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 05:18:46 AM »
Nicki,
Yep just had that fixed actually IM me on what you want to know.

Morgan
*14 years old*

8/9/05 Possible RSD???

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline nicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 04:51:28 PM »
well the doc. said that it was a small tear and it might heal on its own but then he said they dont heal on there own so im rly confused :-\ he said to rest it for 3-4 weeks and then if resting doesnt work hes going to give me a corzone shot. do u think it will heal on its own? and what is the surgery like?