Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!..mri results and i dont understand??  (Read 952 times)

Offline daffy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!..mri results and i dont understand??
« on: August 27, 2005, 10:39:46 AM »

Please could some one help me,by explaining to me what this report means. I had the scan done as i was getting pain to the inside of my knee and i was told ive most probably got patellar tendonitis.
The report is as follows:

Findings

The patellar tendon has a curious appearance. Posteriorly and to the medial side of the tendon, there is abnormal increased signal and there is oedema in the adjacent subcutaneous fat to the medial side of the infrapatellar region.

There is also thickening of the tendon just proximal to its insertion at the tibial tuberosity.

Unfortunatley, the axial images do not extend down this far. These appearances are not absolutley typical of chronic patellar tendonitis and i wonder whether there has been a recent acute injury. Does the patient have any symptomotology to suggest recurrent patellar dislocation? There is no evidence of bone oedema and the under surface of the patella itself looks normal. There is preservation of articular cartilage.

Conclusision

No internal knee joint abnormality is detecteed.

There is abnormality relating to the patellar tendon, which has diffusely increased signal throughout its posteromedial aspect, and this is associated with some oedema in the local soft tissues.

There is also abnormal signal within the patella tendon as it runs over the proximal tibia just before the insertion into the tibia tuberosity.

These appearances suggest acute on chronic patellar tendon injury.

Few questions

Has the report shown that i have tendonitis, or is there something else going on in my patellar tendon worse than it just being inflammed?

Will it need surgery?

What is oedema?

Any help on this would be great, as all those big words got me really confussed and im desperate to know whats going on inside my knee.

Cheers

Daffy
March 06 -  (L) Patella tendon debridement and microfracture

July 06 - (R) MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!..mri results and i dont understand??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 11:09:22 AM »
I think it's implying you had a long term tendon injury and have recently done something more to it. You have some swelling (oedema) around the tendon and the doc is wondering if you maybe dislocated your kneecap recently or other recent injury. I'm sure someone more knoweledgable can probabaly fill in the bits I've missed.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!..mri results and i dont understand??
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 09:48:58 PM »
That's a good summary, Charliemouse

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru