Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: patella alta  (Read 1563 times)

Offline blackberry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
patella alta
« on: August 25, 2005, 03:36:49 PM »
Hi I live in the UK and on my 40th birthday suffered a complete dislocation of my right knee. When I attended the orthopedic clinic after having x-rays was told that I have patella alta, Up to the dislocation was being treated by my GP for arthritis something which I now know isnt present.After years of what I now reconise as partial dislocations and leading up to recent events feel as If I have been hit with a brick. I have been told that even though I have a problem compounded with the fact I also have a tilt on the right knee, and in a lot of pain and discomfort, basically been told that surgery is not offered at the moment as in their opionion dislocations not happening frequently so dont need realignment. Been told to modify my life and in a nutshell give up work. My job is a pharmasict tech, in a NHS hospital and involves standing for long periods. Although I understand the benfits of Physio feel that unless I have a realignment what is the point as the underlying cause is still there.I feel old before my time and not coping too well with it my GP is started me on a short course of antidepressents as very low at this time. How do you cope? Feel that have to put up with the pain and discomfort and why should I? I am still young and want to enjoy life something which I am not.Any tips in coping would be great. Also has anyone else been in a similar situation when they have been told that they cant be operated on or am I just over reacting to the fact that I dont like getting older?

Offline teekay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: patella alta
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:41:28 PM »
I've been dealing with dislocated knees (both of them) for almost 15 years. I'm a young woman but I'm fed up with dealing with this. I have to say the first time this happened to me I freaked out. But as time went on I got used to the pain (as sick as it is) and went on with my life. I still play sports but wear a brace.
I have seen so many doctors that thought my condition was due to weak muscles and it wasn't until about 6 months ago that I was diagnosed with a tilt in both knees.
In about a month from now, I will have a procedure called a patella release. What this does it that it make the patella lie flat on the knee. I'm not sure if your condition is worse than mine, but I would check with another doctor to see if this is an option. I've done physical therapy for many years and it has not helped. I've never had surgery but this is my last resort.
I will keep you posted after my surgery to let you know if this was the best solution for me.

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 09:20:30 PM »
Hi Blackberry,

I hope you do get another opinion or two or three on your knee.  There are options available!

Your note about feeling old before your time and wanting to enjoy life says it all!  If you use the search field at the top of this page, you can type in Patella Alta and read the posts from people on this site concerning this problem.  Likewise, go to the main website page and do the same in the search field to read information about this condition.

Good luck!

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 07:59:19 PM »
This makes me so angry, so angry........ and everyone has heard the story so many times. Things can be done, get a new OS. PT doesn't work cause all the biomachanics are wrong and that actual adds to you building up the wrong muscles making it worse.

If you want anymore info, you can pm me, as I have dislocations and patella alta, I'm quite nice when not angry. No seriously do not hesitate.

Hope you can sort things out.

Lol
M
xxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 11:31:46 PM »
Hi,

I can absolutely relate to the “Live with it” attitude when docs don’t know how to help you. I lived with recurrent patella subluxations for more than 25 years, because my surgeons chose to downplay, and essentially ignore my instability issue when I was 15 years old. These were the same pediatric surgeons who watched over my knee issues like hawks from the initial growth injury at 6 years old, when they did a “never done before” procedure, to halting the growth in my good (never been injured) knee, and finally straightening a 30° valgus deformity with a distal femoral osteotomy. Because they didn’t know what to do, they chose to ignore it, and sent me on my way into adulthood. Never even bothered to warn me of the damage this was going to cause. Just, “See ya, wouldn’t wanna be ya!” The truth is, when you have what is considered the "Best" in the business, when they say, "you're out of luck", you pretty much figure you are.  Besides, when you're a 15 year old kid, being raised by a single mother, with no financial resources, well you feel like you've been fortunate to get any serious treatment in the first place. 

Fast forward to 2005. I now have no articular cartilage behind my patella; bone-on-bone is what my current OS informed me.  What did I know? Maybe they perceived it as a small price to pay, considering they saved my leg. Maybe...  but I think I should have been told the “Price I was paying”.

Anyway, I guess my reply to you is Never give up. You have to keep looking for someone who will help. Cause that someone is probably out there. If I had known that someone somewhere would have the courage to help me, I’d have re-started my journey a long, long time ago….. Before the extra damage had been done.

All my best.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:29:03 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline scruffyhound

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 08:13:15 PM »
Hello Blackberry,

Im sorry to hear of your misfortune.  I have only had one patella disslocation and am still getting over it now it was done in April I founf out then I have bowing legs and small kneecaps and a tilt.  That sucks that they will not concider sorting it out.  I was told when I did this one that if it happened about another 2 or 3 times that it would be an operation.  So I dont know why you and so many other people are not being treated fairly!  Its very frustrating to hear of this misery that could be sorted out! I have to agree with what has been said and see more OS's.  Its always worth a try.  At least if nothing else you can say you have tried everything and it might take your mind off being down.  It is hard not to get depressed I get down form time to time now as I have not wlaked my dogs since it happened.  Then there are the other things you take for granted like walking, the gym, standing for long periods, dancing (although its probibly best for everyone else that I dont!!) going out for a drink with friends....... you could go on really. Im sure there is a cure for you out there you just need to find it and the right person with the right attitude. There are things you can do maybe go to the cinema or a meal.  That is what I have been doing to lift my spirits a bit.  I dont know if this is your thing?

Take care and let me know how you go on,

Scruffyhound ;D   

support