Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Allograft info needed.  (Read 2484 times)

Offline collins8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Allograft info needed.
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:09:39 AM »
This may be a little long so please be patient.  I am a 37 year old male.  In July 2002 I had an Autologus chrondocyte implant(ACI) in my trochlear groove along with a fulkerson.  It was a very large defect.  At 4 months I had full range of motion and could walk perfectly with no swelling.  It was performing wonderfully.  At that point, I lost my balance at work one day and my quad on that leg loaded up hard and ripped the periostium off and also ripped out 25% of the tissue.  They scoped it and pulled out the damaged tissue.  We waited until July of 2003 and they decided to do an ACI to repair the 25% I ripped out.  It never did well.  Constant swelling and pain.  In Dec 2004 they went back in and reperformed the whole thing.  At that time they found out that the trauma had produced bleeding to the underlying tissue and my carticel cartilage had developed a blood supply and nerves.  No wonder it hurt so bad.  Durring this surgery they had significant bleeding from the graft site and finally they got it to stop to finish the graft.  Well that night after surgery, I had to be taken back in the O.R. for bleeding.  Well this time the knee has not done well at all.  Any bending of the knee at all causes it to balloon up and swell horribly.  My Quads are totally shutdown due to the pain level.  I feel very certain the nerves are back, more so than before due to the bleeding.     
This brings me to my problem.  I am employed as a Reactor Operator for a nuclear power facility and they have very strict medical requirements that I must meet.  I must have normal range of motion, normal symmetry, and normal power.   I do not come close to the power requirement.  I can not put any load on my patella and trochlear area.  After much research I feel like an Osteochondral Allograft is my only hope of repairing the knee and keeping my job.  An PFR (patellar-femoral replacement) will require a waiver and I have not read any good things about them.  Even if I did well after an PFR surgery, there is no guarantee they would pass me on my physical due to this being a knee replacement.   I have approached DOL Federal Workers Comp asking them to allow me to see another surgeon that is proficient with the allograft, and they will not.  They insist that I stay in my local area in TN and find a surgeon here.  In there eyes any surgeon should be able to perfrom an allograft.  There is not any that I can find that has done fresh allografts.  I would really like to go see Dr. Bugbee in CA but they say no way.  You would think they would work with me but they could care less.  Has anyone here ever worked with the  Dept of Labor workers Comp and know of cases where they have allowed someone to travel long distances to see a surgeon that is very proficient in a certain type of surgery??  If you have a specific instance I would love to know.  This would help me out because if they have done it in the past they will have a hard time denying me.  I have a very large defect in my trochlea and from what I have read Dr. Bugbee is my best shot.  Do you guys know anyone else that has done these and is close to Chattanooga TN??

Rob   

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Allograft info needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »
Brian Cole of Chicago has done these.

Rob
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 02:55:41 PM »
Dr Fred Flandry is my OS in Columbus GA and allograft will be my next surgery so I know that he does them. This man is brilliant. pm me if you want contact info.

misssy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline collins8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 01:58:21 AM »
Well
I got back from SanDiego today.  I had a bipolar allograft of the trochlea and patella.  My entire patella and trochlear groove area was done by Dr. Bugbee.  These were very large grafts.  The trochlea was 8.6cm wide alone.
I will let you know how it works out.

Rob   

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:30:41 PM »
Hello, i emailed you yesterday, but I think my computer froze up before it got sent out.  Any how, I am also a patient of Dr. Bugbee, and read that you just got home from having a surgery from him.  How did it go?  I am on the waiting list for an allograft, and was just interrested in some personal experiences you had during the hospital stay, etc.  If you would be willing to share with me, let me know and then I will email you with my questions.  Hope I am not bothering you, and hope you are nto in too much pain.  Please help me with some answers................Thanks, Lori
LORI

Offline WEnterline

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 11:07:09 PM »
Hello Rob,

I'm a 41-year old male and have gone through a microfracture and lateral release, about 3 years ago. I am wondering how the allograft operation is turning out for you, or is it too soon to tell? I've been researching about an allograft for my right knee (lateral femoral condyle) and am looking at having it done some time in August '06. Are you completely non-weight bearing at the present time? Continuous Passive Motion machine as well?

The doctor I am queuing up with now is Dr. James Bruckner, Bellevue Orthopaedic Associates. He has done a number of them - but I am most curious about the recovery. Any insights?

Thanks,
Walt

Offline collins8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »
Honestly I am great.  I am weight bearing as long as my knee is locked straight.  I can weight bear because my repair site is not under load at that time.  I am not in a CPM and motion is coming just fine.  I have got some great pics if you want to see.
Email me at
[email protected]
for pics.
It has been 2 weeks today and I am very pleased but I will not know for another 6 weeks what I really have.  Pain is minimal but I use Ice for pain control.

Rob