Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Needless Operations  (Read 2215 times)

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Needless Operations
« on: February 23, 2003, 10:27:18 PM »
Hello everyone

Well I have been on this website for the last week as you may guess I seem to have hit a brick wall with my knee problem which I will say does not appear to be anywhere as bad as what some of you relate.

Which leads me to this; it seems like 2/3 of knee operations especially to some of you who are quite young are unnecessary. What appears to follow for a lot of you are more complications. BTW I'm not being critical or 'I told you so' A lot of people do listen to dr's sometimes to a fault and may make a wrong decision. Guess it's clear to you all now I don't have to great  a credibility to dr's >:( Me I'm wondering that scoping I had done 20 yr.ago on my plica problem may have caused my problems now!! Sure the gait analysis showed up some leading factors contributing to it. My right knee X-ray taken a few years ago showedarthritic change too but it honestly is not a problem, that is if my left knee felt the same as my right I would still be out running.

Anyone care to comment?

Regards

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
Re: Needless Operations
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 07:43:54 AM »
Chris, on the other side, there are a bunch of folks who have tried every conservative treatment known and a few odd-ball ones to boot before they contemplated surgery as an absolute last resort.  By the time you get it down to that demographic the odds of a successful outcome are fifty-fifty at best and probably sixty-forty against if you're really pessimistic.

Naturally you'll hear the horror stories here and probably the folks telling it believe in the veracity of their interpretation of events.  A busted knee can make the most objective thinker become totally subjective.

20/20 hindsight is a particularly accurate tool for berating oneself over life's less positive outcomes too.  While we all give our doctors stick about the lifestyles they have established and maintained on our pain, few of us would suggest that the operation that went wrong was entirely down to them or that we entered into it without having been fully appraised of possible negative as well as the positive outcomes.

Frinstance, I'm about to have a bunch of hardware pulled out of my knee mid next month, Mike, my OS flatly told me "there may quite possibly be no reduction in pain"  but then again there might.  Orthopaedic surgery is an imprecise art as a result of all of us being different,
maybe I'll win the lottery .... maybe not!

Ya just gotta keep on jumping at opportunities and hope for some good ones! ;)
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline mabdegonian

• Forum Faithful
  • Luck cant last a lifetime, unless you die young.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 08:16:11 AM »
All I know is I put off knee surgery and put up with discomfort and intermittent pain for 25 years.  I could have pursued surgical alternatives earlier but I think in the long run my decision to wait was the correct one.

The really funny thing is my knee surgery had little to nothing to do with my current knee issues.  There is no doubt in my mind that if I had not had the surgery the only difference in my fall and break would have been the need to purchase crutches.  As it was I just had to pull the ones I got after the surgery out of storage.

I am sure that with anything there are some unnecesary surgeries here.  There are also some complications and failed surgeries.  Life happens.  Even to knee people :)
4/02 Arthoscopy, 8/02 Tibial Plateau Fracture. (Doh!) 12/02 Back walking! 1/03 Fall reinjury 3/24 walking again with a new brace.

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 09:11:59 AM »
Thanks guys for you replies.

I will weigh every alternative before I decide

Maybe it's just all these things I have been reading through that I didn't know are done to knees that freak me out..ugh..if you wetre reading through my other thread 'bad left knee' you may see my problem isn't anywhere as bad as som ei have read up on.

Guess I was feeling a bit of angst all day today.

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2003, 03:45:20 PM »
I really don't think many (or any) of us had needless operations. I don't there are many (or any) doctors out there who do needless operations. I think most of us tried every conservative method first. I think most of us were not "run of the mill" cases in the first place. I think that tracking problems (which most people here seem to have) are not totally understood or easily corrected. I especially think the people who had good outcomes are not here on this board! And some of us (me, for one) didn't have much choice before our first surgery, as it was needed after an injury. The complications set in from there. All that being said, I would pursue every avenue before having surgery.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Helen_uk

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 07:03:15 PM »
I personally think that can be few needless operations performed these days as all these surgeons are afraid of law suits if they do the wrong thing and in hine sight I had a few procedures when I was younger that wouldnt be performed today because of poor results but T THE TIME THAT WAS WHAT THE BOOKS suggested, but it has also been said that if I hadnt had my surgeries I would probably be a double amputee now, some of it has been patching me up to give me a better quality of life at that time, to keep me mobile until technology catches up with my complex condition, in retrospect I would probably been better putting up better having surgery has meant that I could carry on with my job longer have a family and look after them and keep my independance,if theres a chance of success and a better life who wouldnt take that chance?
I would again and aagin.
H xxx ;)

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 10:44:25 PM »
Hi Chris,

I think that I needed my first knee surgery to find out what the trouble was. I do feel that the LR that was done at that time was needless, and caused more trouble. I think that if I had not been in such a hurry to just do something since it hurt so much, I could have done a better job choosing my OS. My current OS would never have done an LR.

I am not sorry that I have had the ACI done though. Even if it is not entirely successful in the end, I am in less pain now, and I have hope at this point. I did not before the surgery. I think Hope is half the battle.

Just my thoughts,
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 05:49:45 PM »
Hi,
I needed my 1st ACL recon but as the doctor messed that one up I had to have it redone by another doc who didnt do a much better job either but I had trust in him and let him go in again. He said he would do 1 thing and when I woke he'd didi something different. This took a while to recover from and my results werent any better at all. Now I get to see this top rate OS in the state and he says he wants to do another ACL recon from scratch using grafts from both my legs. He also says that a good deal of my problems were from the last surgery I had, the one where I let the OS go in for his 2nd attempt, he did a lateral loop, winding my quad muscle around the lateral lig to strengthen it. There wasnt anything wrong with the lateral side but he thought strenghtening it would get rid of the rotation I had in the knee. So I agree that some OS's do unnecessary ops sometimes and they all love doing their scopes. I opted out of a scope and said that I only wanted the one op and that when he went to have a look he should fix whatever the problem is while he's in there. Saved myself a thousand dollars doing it that way. Well, who knows, take care, Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 10:17:33 PM »
Thanks Netty

I read all your posts to me on te other forums.
I hope things improve for you, really I do.

Keep the faith

Chris

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 05:07:05 PM »
Sorry if you read them before, its hard to remember who you replied to. Sometimes we all feel like we're repeating ourselves but I try to answer any questions that I can relate to. Take care. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 01:23:00 AM »
chris, i doubt any surgeon would do unnecesarry surgery with malpractice suits being what they are in the states.   we inherit some of our healing capabilities but sometimes simple things to some can be complicated to others. we are all different.  should i go out and run so soon after surgery. absolutely not, do i want to go thru unnecesarry surgeries, absolutely not, i have young children who i want to be active with. i heal as my body , medicine and comkon sense allow.  at 41, i have been told i may need a total knee replacement, but before doing so i will have other surgeries that may allow me to escape tkr.  
needless operations are so few you make it sound like taking asprin every time there is an ache or pain.  
i have found this forum a great place to vent and air out my aggrevations. but i also respect and appreciate all the views and opinions others provide.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 02:26:31 AM »
Hi Neil

All the best with your recovery, hoping your knee will improve.

I assume you are working on strengthening exercises.

Chris