Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Allograft?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Patella Allograft?
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:33:02 AM »

I saw a new OS for another opinion.  He proposed doing a patella allograft, and probably a realignment procedure.  My lesion is too big for anything else.  It's grade IV on the underside of the patella 15mm x 9mm x 6mm.

This is after reading the contrast MRI.  The good news is that the reattachment of my LR is still holding, and looking good.

Was wondering about the success rate of the patella lesion surgery.  If I don't have this, he recommended a PKR.  No thank you.  I'm only 46, and as active as my knee allows.

I don't think I am going to do anything until the pain is unbearable.

Thanks,
Alyce
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

kelsaygh

Re: Patella Allograft?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:30:32 PM »
Hi Alyce
I am scheduled to have a patellar allograft w/ a distal realignment procedure soon, and I will let you know how I make out if I can figure out how to use this board more effectively! I have had previous procedures similar to yours as well, and I am older than you  ;), but quite active, so you might get a reasonable idea of what to expect.  The patella procedure seems much less common than other areas--anyone else out there have experience?  Kelsay

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:37:56 PM »

Kelsay,

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.  Please let me know your progress.  I believe if you click on my user name, you can email me.

My plan is to have Synvisc, and hold off for a uni patella replacement.  There are only a handful of surgeons in the U.S. that perform this procedure.  My surgeon, who is 3000 miles away, has done the most...20.  I'd feel better if she had 60 under her belt.

At any rate, thanks for your reply  Best wishes for a pain free day!

Alyce
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:30:14 PM »
I had a very large lesion on my patella , larger than your measurements. I went to see a well known OS for cartilage restoration to the patella. He gave me 3 options but the first 2 weren't really viable options. The first option was pallectomy , which we both agreed would not be the thing to do. The 2nd was an ostrchondral allograft to the patella. He said he would need a donor piece of tissue large enough to cover entire backside of patella. He said at best, I would have only a 50/50 chance it would work. He said that was not good enough odds. He said my only option was to get a TKR.  He said I could do a PKR, but a PKR wouldn't last long and I didn't want to go thru another major surgery in about 4 yrs time.I had aready done everything else including synvisc. Eight mos later , after alot of research, I had him do the knee replacement. I wanted to get some quality of life back. My patella pain is gone. I was 48 when I had the TKR. Large patella lesions are very hard to do. If I had a small one , then it would have been done.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:44:16 PM »
Hi,

Just thought I'd add this article about mushroom-shaped osteochondral patella allograft.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9049767&dopt=Abstract

I have a small lesion behind my patella on the central ridge and have just been trying to stay informed regarding different treatment options that I might have to face in the future.

Shade

support