Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromyalcia  (Read 2922 times)

Offline USMom

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Suggiemom Rescue Pages
Chondromyalcia
« on: August 23, 2005, 03:58:57 AM »
Okay, I know I've seen this here, but what is chondromyalcia?  I am having surgery next week to clear out some debris and they said in addition I have chondromyalcia.
Possible meniscus tear diagnosed 5-4-05
Partial Meniscotomy 9/3/05
Sugar Glider owner and Rescuer
27 gliders in house
www.sugarglidergear.com

Offline amlaboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Chondromyalcia
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 04:21:47 AM »
It's an abnormal softening of the cartilage.  HTH

Mary
1st injury - motorcycle accident - 1986
2nd injury - trampoline w/kids - 12/03
DX: Absence of ACL.
ACL Cadaver Recon 9/30/05.

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 12:08:30 PM »

USMom

This shows patellar chondromalacia very well, I think.  You can see them fixing the shredding.....

Shade
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:12:03 PM by Shade »

Offline msatc03

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Sports Injury Info
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 01:11:31 PM »
Bart Anderson MS,ATC
Certified Athletic Trainer
Midwest Sports Medicine Center
http://www.sports-injury-info.com

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 01:21:39 PM »
chondromalacia is softening of the cartilage.  Depending on if it is happening in isolated areas, or to the joint overall, it may lead to focal lesions (potholes in the cartilage) or arthritis.  Is is measured on a scale of 1-4, 1 being the mildest case, 4 meaning the cartilage has worn away to bone.  Depending on your age, it is not usually considered a diagnosis, but rather a symptom of some other problem.  (This is more true for damage to some parts of the knee than others.)  For example - if the chondromalacia is on the back of the patella, it is a sign that the patella is moving abnormally in it's track, and your doctor should be trying to correct this issue.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline USMom

• Forum Faithful
    • Suggiemom Rescue Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 03:45:47 PM »
Thank you guys very much!  I origianally went in for what was diagnosed as a bruised meniscus, but it has not gotten better.  Okay, so with this chondromyalcia would it cause pain above my knee cap, where it seems to attach to the thigh muscle?  It feels like a knot in there, and it hurts when I put pressure on my knee to stand up or climb stairs.
27 gliders in house
www.sugarglidergear.com

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 04:15:09 PM »
Chondromalacia can cause different types of pain.  But it has no connection to tendons and ligaments.  Chondromalcia is the softening of the articular cartilage.  (The white stuff at the ends of your bones.)  As it deteriorates, it can look something like crab meat - it is the softening cartilage that you see as "fronds" in the image Shade attached.  These floating pieces of cartilage can get caught in various parts of the joint, causing a "catch" sensation - where it feels like there is something stuck in the joint, blocking movements.  As to what part of the hurts - it depends on where the damage is.  The damage can be located on the tibial plateay, the femoral condoyles, the trochelar groove, or the back of the patella.  Pain on stairs, if caused by damaged cartilage, is often the result of damage to the back of the patella or the trochlear groove - it is the sensation of raw bone rubbing as the patella moves through the joint.

I think there is an article on the main site about chondromalacia.  Be sure to ask lots of questions before your surgery (a good one to ask is if your OS is considering the microfracture procedure if he finds grade IV damage.  If it's under consideration do your research so that you can decide if that's a path you want to take - lots of people go in for minor procedures and wake up with microfracture.  Informed choices are better than surgical surprises.)

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion

Offline USMom

• Forum Faithful
    • Suggiemom Rescue Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 05:22:29 PM »
What's microfracture?  :o  It sounds like small breaks in the bone.  Is that right?  Jeez, it sounds like I have a lot to learn!
27 gliders in house
www.sugarglidergear.com

Offline USMom

• Forum Faithful
    • Suggiemom Rescue Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »
Ack!  Looked up microfracture.  Panicked call to doctors office ensues!  Waiting for them to call me back!!!  I don't think I want to do that!
27 gliders in house
www.sugarglidergear.com

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 06:36:27 PM »
I didn't bring it up to cause panic.  I wanted you to have the option of an informed choice.  Many don't (myself included).  As with any surgery, it is a risk.  And you do want an experienced surgeon and physical therapist.  But this is a procedure used by professional athletes to gain a few extra years on the field, so it has an upside.  As a general rule, it is used when the focal lesion is grade 4, or down to bone.  Your damage may not be at that level.  But that's why I wanted you to ask your OS before you sign the medical release.  This way you know if it's being considered, you have a chance to research the benefits, drawbacks, etc. and you can decide if it's something you will permit.  It's also not your only question, I'm sure.  If you've already scheduled your surgery, and you won't see your surgeon until the day of surgery, make an appointment to see him before then so that you can go into surgery confident.

Jess

shadehawk

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 06:53:26 PM »
USMom,

Here is an article that explains microfracture - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007255.htm

Like Jess said, there is no reason to panic...Heck, the more you know going into a surgery the better.  You already know more than I did going into my surgery.  I did not have any idea that I had OA behind my patella but found out after surgery.  Now we have to play the wait and see game to see what the next step will be or if this surgery has been enough.

Please take a breath and know that your OS will only be trying to help your condition.  Before my surgery - I had bad pain coming upstairs and also getting up from a chair.  If you do not have trust in your surgeon then you should not be going into surgery.....  I firmly believe this. 

If you need microfracture then you might get years of relief from knee pain, but like Jess said - maybe you will not need more than a debridement procedure to clean things up.....

Good luck,

Shade
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:56:47 PM by Shade »

Offline USMom

• Forum Faithful
    • Suggiemom Rescue Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 06:59:13 PM »
Well, I did tell them that if it needs to be done, okay, but I just wanted to know before I wake up!  :)  They have been great about answering my questions, and his nurse said if I wanted we could schedule an appt before the surgery to ask any questions.  It just looked kind of scary on the sites that I saw!
I really, really appreciate the input.  I'm not terrified, it just kind of threw me off for a minute!  Panic subsides, rational thinking is starting to take over. LOL!  Anymore thoughts and ideas are welcome.  I promise not to freak out or panic again!
27 gliders in house
www.sugarglidergear.com

shadehawk

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 07:04:13 PM »
USMom,

Well, I am really glad that the OS office took the time to answer your questions.  Hey, we all have our moments.  This is scarry stuff these knee problems. 

The best thing to do is ask questions - if you do not ask you will never know.

Good luck, Sending good vibes your way.......................

Shade

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 07:53:29 PM »
USMOM -

I'm glad you had such a quick response from your OS.  (That's pretty unusual, and quite impressive.)  Again - I urge you to ask more questions.  Find out what the expected rehab will be from debridement (the "clean up" procedure) and from microfracture.  You may find yourself on crutches for 6-8 weeks.  As a mom, that may require a bit more planning on your part.  If your OS thinks microfracture is a possibility, do some more reading.  Read the post-ops, the research, etc.  A good website is cartilagedoc.org.  Go to the knee section.  It's all very intense medical articles, but they offer a great explanation of cartilage damage and treatment options.  Check out the "Bone Marrow Stimulation" section on this board.   You'll learn from all of us on this board.  Then ask some more questions.  Then take a deep breath, hope for the best, and dedicate yourself to your rehab and recovery.  I'm sure you'll do great.

Jess

Offline USMom

• Forum Faithful
    • Suggiemom Rescue Pages
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 08:44:34 PM »
Okay, well they say microfracture is NOT in the pic for this surgery.  Just a meniscotomy, partial and some clean up.  So, if that is a possibility, it is one for another surgery.  Yay!   Once again, thank you for your help.  I'm sure I will have more questions.  I always think of them in the middle of the night.
27 gliders in house
www.sugarglidergear.com