Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Strange knee problems...  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Lant1919

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Strange knee problems...
« on: February 23, 2003, 06:03:22 AM »
Hi, I am a 16 y/o girl wo plays lacrosse. For the past couple of months my knee had been hurting alot.

Also, whenever I am sitting and I cross my legs that knee that is painful seems like it is dislocating and then popping back into place. My leg pulls foward while my femur pulls backwards and then it SNAPS all of a sudden. It is very loud. I don't know what that is either. But the last time I did it, instead if snapping back it made a 'pop' sound and hurt very much! Argh, it never got swollen but I don't usually swell, like I didn't swell when I broke my wrist or foot so I don't know.

Sometimes when i am walking my knee just gives out. I have never actually fallen all the way down but I could just be standing there and my knee will give way. Especially when I am running up stairs or on uneven terrain.

I don't know if this could be my ACL. ALso, I have all the symptoms of hypermobility. Is it easier to tear your ACL with hypermolility?

I don't know what this could be and I don't have access the an OS easily. This is very annoying and I don't want to injure myself further.

What do you think this could be? LIke I said, I really have know access to a doctor due to family and financial reasons. Do you think a brace like the CTI or Donjoy would help?

Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated.

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: Strange knee problems...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 06:47:36 AM »
If you can't see a doctor for financial reasons etc, and you didn't say which country you are in, my only suggestion would be to go the ER and see a doctor there (or if you are somewhere that bulk bills or has free clinics thene see someone there) a brace could be of absolutely no benefit as you don't know what is worng with your knee, you need to see a DOCTOR to get a correct diagnosis and treatment. Even with family problems you need to see a doctor somehow even if it is at the ER. As it could be a serious problem. Braces are and can ber very expensive and without a diagnosis can cause more harm than good by making you rely on them and thus weakening the proper muscles that should be holding your knee together.
I hate to say it Lant1919 but a Doctor you will have to see somehow. If you hurt yourself playing lacrosse then you should be covered under the lacrosse teams medical insurance (i know here ALL sports teams even amature sp? ones must have medical insurance to cover players while playing and training). You should look into this if the injury occured while playing or training (with the team).
Hypermobility can be an aquired condition (ie you have become flexible due to your sports, as opposed to someone (me inculded) who is born hypermobilie or with a genetic condition that causes hypermobility amonst many many other problems, personally I have torn or stretched my Left ACL 3 times so far,a nd had it reconstructed twice, but because I have opne of the genetic hypermobility disorders they REFUSE to do a 3rd reco as it will simply fail again due to the genetic fault in my body.
I am sorry to go on and on but at 16 you need to be so careful and your really need to see a doctor ASAP to rule out serious injury or an injury that can cause further problems (like a torn ACL or stretched ACL can cause meniscal damage, catliage damage or OA to develop or can cause problems in other areas).
Please get to see at least  GP ASAP to get you knee looked at, by at least a GP (if not a sports med doc or OS).
Good luck and let us know how you get on .
I live in Australia in Canberra and am a 31 year old female.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Lant1919

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 07:19:07 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I am sorry to hear of all your knee problems. You must have an infinate amount of strength to be able to deal with this.

Thanks for your concerns but it did not happen during any kind of practice or game or anything. I will try to find a doctor or someone who can help me though. It will be hard because my family doesn't have the financial means to take me to a doctor as it is. Also, due to the situation at home I don't want to add any more problems... I know I should see a doctor though.

What I was really wondering, is if it could be an ACL tear or something like that. I have concerns because my knee gives out and today I twisted it and I had very bad pain for about 10 minutes and could not straighten my leg out without excrutiating pain for 10 minutes either. Afterwards my knee was just sore. I don't usually swell so I didn't notice any.

Also, quite a few times, I have heard either a deep dull POP in the back of my knee and sometimes even a very loud POP. If I had torn my ACL it wouldn't POP anymore, right? I don't know.

Well, thank you and I will try to find someone that can help me but anymore info is very much appreciated!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 10:45:39 PM »
Read up about:
plica
synovial plica
discoid meniscus
meniscal tears
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline Michelle_Gr

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 02:27:30 AM »
Hi
Due to your age I would consider the fact that it may be Osgood-Schlatter's Disease.
          Good Luck
                                           Michelle
I have maltracking and malalignment problems, Osgood-Schlatter's disease and will be having bi-lateral releases this year, most likely over the summer but I'm hoping sooner.  I am 14.

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 06:13:08 PM »
The giving way in your knee can be a sign of something "loose" in there, but I used to get that sensation when I was young (ages 10-13) and had all my knee troubles.  I don't know your situation--why it's hard for you to get to an OS--but you really must see somebody about your knee before more damage is done.  Talk to your parents and get them "on your side" to get you into a doctor.  When my mom first decided to take me to a doctor for me knee (at age 11), she spent a day on the phone with countless clinics and doctors until she found an OS who would take me in within a day without a referral.  

Stay strong, and keep us posted--we're here for you!  And take it easy on the lacrosse until you find out what's wrong!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 05:27:01 PM »
You need a bit more help - start here reading about discoid meniscus:
http://www.posna.org/CoreCurriculum/Book4/Discoid%20meniscus.pdf
The symptoms commonly occur in young people as one is born with this abnormality. You have had a suggestion of Osgood Schlatters - this does also occur in young people, but has a different set of symptoms to what you describe.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 05:30:02 PM »
--