Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: my vmo advancement has been over a month still hurt doc has no clue  (Read 2307 times)

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
well i had my lateral relese with a vmo advancment......... will i ever be able to bend my knee.. and why the pain. it's been 4 weeks since surgury and i still can't put any pressure on it or go back to work for 1 more. it sucks,,,,,,,,, but will it ever be the same again.. will i be able to run again and for 8 miles at a time help me out............. i feel as if it is always going to hurt forever. :'(. hey i would love to hear from people that have had a vmo adv........ please help. :-X anyone with this sur... please write
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 07:32:27 PM by cuba »

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: well i am the u.s army soldier with the vmo advancement
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 10:00:46 PM »
 :-X :-X

Offline pxs

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:04:31 AM »
i had a vmo advancement w/o the lateral release.  in my case it was a repair of the vmo and retinaculum (ligament between vmo and patella) which had been torn away from the patella.  i couldn't start physical therapy for a month cause i had to let it heal and then it took some time to get range of motion back and even more to get strength back.  this is a significant surgery and it hasn't been long yet, you will have to be patient and it will start to get better.  i hope you have the luxury of allowing it to heal and not rushing your rehab.

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 04:45:38 PM »
 :-*

Offline RakhshandaE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 07:00:35 PM »
I have had 3 VMO advancements and the rehab is not a walk in the park but hard work.  It took me months to get my ROM back and it was a slow process.  I always thought of it like trying to stretch a rubber tire it is a gradual process.  Be careful you don't want to tear where they attached it and you want it to heal correctly.  If I remember correctly I was Non Weight Bearing for at least 4 weeks then partial for 4 more.  As for the running again I think everyone is different but running for me is only in an emergency because the impact is just too much stess on my knees.  Good Luck
Rakshanda
10 surgeries 5 on Left 5 on Right in last 11 years
2LR, 3VMO, TTT, Multiple Meniscus repairs and partial removals, 3 Patella Microfractures 1 Femoral Microfracture, multiple debraiding and tendon repairs. Most recent surgery 10/7/05. Will have either TKR or OATS in 05 for 4cm lPat. leison

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 05:41:46 PM »
 :'(

Offline pxs

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 08:45:43 PM »
i am running again - just doing 3 1/2 to 4 miles now.  i used to do half marathons.  i could probably build up to that as i gain strength but probably will not do the longer runs so that i can preserve cartilage, which was damaged during my injury.  i have some significant cartilage lesions on patella and femur.  i don't think the vmo advancement should prevent you from running by itself.

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: well i am the u.s army soldier with the vmo advancement ...need help
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:05 PM »
 :'(

shadehawk

Re: well i am the u.s army soldier with the vmo advancement... need help
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 11:55:26 PM »
Cuba,

Glad to hear that you have your surgery over with and are now rehabbing.  Well, this stuff takes time.  I had my surgery on July 29th and still am having problems getting around also, think this stuff is so hard to take when you are an active person. 

Try to enjoy your time off and hopefully you'll get back to doing all the things you like soon.

Shade

Offline trish85

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 04:26:39 AM »
Hi
I had a VMO realignment 2 monthes ago (june 10th) and I have about 110-120 degrees of flextion back.  It took me about five weeks to get off crutches and I have been out of the bledsoe brace for about a week now.  I haven't tried running yet but the condition my knee was in before surgery I wasn't able to.   It will take a while for you to be able to bend it even though at my first post op (to get my stitches out) my doctor had me in his office bending my knee and told me that i couldn't leave until I could get it to 90 degrees.  I know what your going through and what your feeling right now.  It took me about three weeks to actually be comfrotable to really move around somewhat normally.  Good Luck with the rest of your rocovery.
Trish
R LR 2/02
R TTT/LR 8/02
L LR 1/03
R hardware removal 7/03
L TTT/LR 8/03
L hardware removeal 6/04
L VMO realignment 6/05
L TTT/VMO revision 10/05
R VMO advancement 4/06
L hardware removed 7/06
R VMO recon 9/06
L VMO recon 7/07
L MPFL recon w/ hamstring autograft 3/14/08
EDS type 3

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 10:43:01 PM »
 :-X

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 03:42:49 AM »
 :-X

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 04:10:39 AM »
cuba..send me an Im via the board.....just click on my name and select send mssg..would like to help..

cheers..

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues