Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP! need sleep suggestions post TTT  (Read 6573 times)

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
HELP! need sleep suggestions post TTT
« on: August 20, 2005, 03:46:57 PM »
I'm so desperate. I haven't slept well in so long!!!!! I had my surgery June 29. Can anyone suggest comfotable sleeping positions? 

Thanks
Anna
6/29/05 TTT,LR,medial realignment - Right Knee
1989     LR - Right Knee

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: HELP! need sleep suggestions post TTT
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 03:51:39 PM »
hi anna~

do u have a recliner at home?  i ended up sleeping in the recliner for about a week and  a half before sleeping in my actual bed.  i found i could get more comfy there and slept better.  otherwise what i did for sleeping in my bed, i took my brace off and didnt sleep with it on.  i'm not sure if i was actually supposed to do this so ya might wanna ask your OS if you can or not. 

if sleeping just isnt working for you, i'd ask you OS and see if s/he has any suggestions or remedies for not sleeping.  i took over the counter Tylenol PM every once in awhile when i just couldnt fall asleep.

hope this helped.
~mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 10:03:07 PM »
Anna,

Sorry that you are having sleeping problems.  There is nothing worse than not being able to sleep.  I have heard several people on this site speak highly of Ambien.  It is a sleeping aide and you could maybe ask your GP about it.....

Good luck to you and in the meantime maybe a lazyboy might help....

Good luck,
Shade

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 04:35:46 AM »
Mandy and Shade thanks for the suggestions. It's so fusterating! I took my strong pain med tonight to see if it will help. I think I might try the Tylenol PM.

How long is pain medication needed after surgery?  I am on Ultram and Motrin as needed. Which for me means I take one or both of them most of the time.  But, when it's really acting up they don't help.  Even with ice and elevation. I always feel guilty asking my OS for refills. My Ultram is almost gone and I'm wondering is I should ask for more or try just Motrin and just get through the discomfort.

Thanks again forthe advise :D

Anna
1989     LR - Right Knee

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 03:07:01 PM »
Anna,

Never feel guilty asking your OS or GP for pain meds.  You have had surgery on your knee and that causes major trauma, controlling pain with your surgery is very important......

I had my surgery on July 29th and still have alot of pain and will be going to my GP this week to try to get my meds straightened out for pain relief.  I could not get through a day without meds.

Talk to your GP or OS and let them know how bad your pain is and when it is worse....

Shade

Offline Major Ursa Norte

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 06:00:27 PM »
I agree. Don't hesitate about asking for the pain meds. You might even try switching around in case your body has developed a tolerance to your current one. On the sleeping position. In 2002 I had a lateral release and patella mediation, followed by another surgery one week later to clean out a bout of bone infection. The pain was staggering. I tried everything, but found no relief until my wife came home with a full body pillow. This allowed me to place the pillow between my legs and then roll onto my side. The pillow supported the weight of my leg and did not let the brace cam into my skin. Worked wonders for me. I was actually able to get more than a few hours of sleep during the night. My pain meds were Loracet plus coupled with a heavy duty muscle relaxer to stop the muscle jerks my thigh was going through post op.

3 years later and I still sleep with the body pillow. Wish I still had the muscle relaxers though, as my thigh still jerks on most nights.

Offline annaliese

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 10:19:51 AM »
Hi Anna,

I had four weeks of sleeping on my back (and not very well or even all through the night for that matter) before I could manage sleeping on my side.  Get yourself a nice semi-firm foam pillow - and a satin pillowcase, and pop it between your knees for sleeping on your non-operated side.  I found that my brace would drag on cotton or flannette pillowcases, but glides nicely over satin.  For sleeping on your operated side, two pillows are good, one for under the operated knee and one for between the knees.

As far as pain meds goes, if you need them - take them!  Pain meds are there for a reason, which is to make you comfortable enough to get some sleep.  Sleep as much as you can - I found that after a couple of weeks, the meds were waking me up in the middle of the night and I was having to take a nap for a couple of hours mid-afternoon.  Sleep is when our bodies heal and regenerate themselves, so get as much sleep as you can, whenever is practical. 

I've been off meds for about three weeks, but I have a low pain threshold and I need to toughen up!  I also got sick of lying awake for hours from 3am onwards, then crashing out when it was time to wake up, and not being able to get out of bed when I had to!  I was on Tramal - not sure what you guys call that in the USA (I'm in NZ).  I can't drive if I take Tramal, and as I live alone I needed to get to PT - so I'm going without meds unless I really need them, then I take a combo pill which has paracetamol and codeine phosphate in it.

Hope this helps - hang in there, it does get easier!

All the best,
AnnaLiese
Patellofemoral reallignment, chondroplasty, LR and TTT (L) knee 07/13/2005. 
Currently post-op, down to single crutch and no more brace!!  Screws are named Sid and Nancy :-)
Meniscal tear repair by arthroscopy/menisectomy (r) knee 08/02/2002
Recurrent subluxations of (L) kneecap since 1989

Offline yellowg17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 10:41:04 AM »
Ice helps a lot too

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 12:24:26 AM »
Thanks for all of the tips. Since my last post I have tried sleeping on my side with the pillow between my legs and I have been sleeping better.

As far as the pain meds.....I called my OS and talked to him through his nurse and he will not refill any pain meds. I can only have Motrin. That pissed me off!!!! I am not someone who even likes taking pain meds and I have a high tolerance for pain. I still had almost a full bottle of Darvocet. So I have been using those when the Mortin doesn't work.  My OS said that it is against his policy to refill narcotics past 6 weeks post-op! I think he should treat it on a case by case basis.

His nuse told me to call my primary care doctor and ask her for medicine if I need it. The whole situation made me feel real stupid for even asking him for more meds.

Thanks again everyone,
Anna
1989     LR - Right Knee

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 03:18:57 AM »
sorry u are going thru what we all have at times....os's cut and run after a time re: pain meds...your best pal is a compassionate gp....find one u can speak to honestly..thankfully i have one..but had to find him..the os who botched my maquet was the same as yours and i felt terrible for days....tell him what the prob is and ask him if he can help u navigate thru this..there is no time limit...surgery is an insult to your body ...it takes time..and pt then re-awakens all of the insulted nerves and tissue..it is a huge prob here in the US......docs worry that the just say no police will get them.....there are docs out there that can help...in my case..i brought my files and spoke honestly....since that day i have never had a prob...getting what i need when things are bad..altho after 9 surgeries he has for his own protection labeled my file thusly as chronic pain.....

take care and find a doc not an OS who will help..

best..

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 04:01:44 PM »
Thanks Ronnie.

I am going to contact my GP today. She has been my doc for years and I think she will help. It's good to know I'm not the only one who is going through this!

I'll let you know what happens!

Anna
1989     LR - Right Knee

Offline alacy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:27:41 AM »
Well good news! I talked to my GP and got my pain meds.  Yhea!!!

That's all for now.
Anna
1989     LR - Right Knee

Offline Durga

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 06:20:08 PM »
If you really don't want to take narcotics, I find Melatonin really helps me sleep.  I am drug sensitive and had surgery 8 weeks ago.  After six days of pain meds, I couldn't swallow another pill.  Melatonin does help me sleep and arnica tincture on my knee and orally helps with pain/swelling...good luck.
Durga

Offline Nekomimi

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 07:42:17 PM »
After 2 months of pain, the ONLY thing that knocks me out is liquid Benadryl (children's brand is fine). Darvocets, hydrocodone, and everything else make me very talkative rather than sleepy! My husband just laughs after I take my medication because I just cannot shut up! I'm normally a quiet person, so I don't know why it would have this effect.

I've been sleeping on my back with a pillow setup which takes me about 10 minutes to get right! :D I end up using a total of 6-7 pillows, no joke!
7-08- Weightlifting, L Knee Injury
7-15- Diagnosed with MCL Sprain & Cartilage Pinch; immobilized for 1 mo.
8-16- First visit to OS. Diagnosed with OA and possible meniscal tear. Put on PT.
10-14- First steps on my own in over 3 months.
Currently- dealing with OA and hoping that I'm healing!

cholt

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 01:40:04 AM »
Hi, I had similar problems.  I couldn't sleep for so long because of severe leg cramping after my LR.  I tried everything including morphine, demerol w/ phenergan, Lortab, Darvocet, and more.  I also hate pain meds but was desparate.  The best sleep I got was in my recliner with Tylenol PM.  I took 3 not 2.  I would sleep for about 4-5 hours straight which was wonderful.  Now I sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs.  I can still sleep better on my couch than anywhere else.  I have a new bed too!  My couch though has a back that can support me on my side.  Good Luck!

Cindy

support