Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: hyperextention=hypermobile??  (Read 2903 times)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
hyperextention=hypermobile??
« on: January 31, 2005, 02:06:31 PM »
My OS and PT complain on a regular basis that I hyper extend my knees. I have always been very flexible but no one has ever said that I am hypermobile. Does the fact that I hyperextend constantly mean that I am hypermobile? the hyperextention does not hurt, my knees hurt for other reasons .
Just curious about the answer.
thanks
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

shadehawk

Re: hyperextention=hypermobile??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 08:42:45 PM »
You would notice if you were hypermobile.  In the case of kneecaps - they float all over when you walk.  Mine go from side to side and also bang on the top.  It makes walking very uncomfortable unless you have them wrapped or braced.

Also with hypermobility your joints are all very flexible and most people have had dislocations.

Hope this helps you some. 

Offline NancyMich

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: hyperextention=hypermobile??
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 06:01:53 AM »
I have had various body pains for decades and I took till age 45 for anyone to figure out I had hypermobile joints in general.  I just complain when something hurts, the doc looks perplexed and sends me on my way!  Now, thanks to Stan, the PT man, I am leariing how to move and stand correctly so as not to hyperextend.

Do a search on Ehler-Danlos Syndrome and you will find the tests that determine if you are hypermobile.  Here is a quote from another thread that gives scoring for the Beighton Scale.

For peoples information they use the Beigton scale as a guide to give the diagnosis of Hypermobility. The beighton score is as follows.

The Beighton score gives a patient
one point for each of the following characteristics:

*passive extension of the fifth metacarpophalangeal (MCP)(Finger joint at lowest knuckle) joint past 90 degrees,
*passive apposition of the thumb to the forearm (thumb bent down to touch forearm),
*hyperextension of the elbow past 10 degrees(if elbow strightens beyond (straight),
*hyperextension of the knee past 10 degrees, and
*trunk flexion allowing the palms to be placed flat on the floor (bending forward at waist with legs straight and together and palms of hands flat on the floor).

Beighton et al scored each limb separately for the first 4 items, generating a possible score of 9.

A score of 5/9 or more is usually a sign of significant hypermobility.(as far as I know).
Just thought I would add this for those who don't know but would like to know what criteria is used to diagnose Hypermobility.
There is a new scale too called the breighton Criteria which is used to diagnose HMS (Hypermobility Syndrome a pain and more serious problem that just hypermobility (Hypermobility iself is a benign condition).
See http://www.hypermobility.org/diagnosis.shtml