Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tibial Plateau Fracture  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Layla

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Tibial Plateau Fracture
« on: August 20, 2005, 10:33:39 AM »
Hi,just found this site yesyerday,and feel better knowing that I am not alone here,I fell from my horse 6 weeks ago and sustained a tibial plateau fracture,to my left knee,this was repaired using 3 screws and a plate,I have been using crutches and not weight bearing since then,I did not realise that this was such a serious injury and thought I would be back on my feet in weeks,I now know that this is not the case,and am feeling very depressed about it, it does not help people saying never mind at least it,s not your neck,or oh well it could be worse I know that,but it does,nt help.I was wondering if anybody out there could help with these questions.   When will I be able to walk properly again, when will I be able to drive,when wiill I be able to ride my horse,and is it normal for circulation to not be very good my bad leg tends to go red,although it,s ok when I keep it raised,this has been an emotional roller coaster one day up next day down,no-one seems to understand how fed up I am,sorry if I,m moaning I would love some advice from any one who has been where I am now.  Layla
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 02:10:33 PM by Layla »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »
Hey Layla and welcome here. Sorry for your accident. If you scroll down this site to "Bone breaks around the knee" you find more about your fracture and also find the people who are in same boat.
Wish you good luck !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline yippy

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 01:28:15 AM »
Hi Layla,
I had a tibial plateau fracture last june so can sympathise with you about the shock of realising the seriousness of this type of fracture.Nettan is right suggesting you look at bone breaks around the knee as you will see lots of us there at various levels of healing and most questions you have can be answered there.I know that at the place you are now it seems a huge up hill battle to recover from this trama but please know things get better and you should be able to do most things you were before. Please use this site if things get hard to vent any frustrations you might have...it was a real lifeline to me in the early days when I couldn't see past the week and I didn't want to complain more to my family and friends.
The question you had about the leg going red is probably as a result of the swelling and trama to the knee but I would check with your Dr as there is always that slim chance of artery damage with this type of break. I would be very surprised if it was something like that as it something that usually shows itself fairly early after the injury but having had artery damage myself I would suggest just checking.
I really hope your recovery is smooth and complete.Ask questions all the time this helps.
I will watch for your progress.
Good luck Marianne
shattered tibeal plateau,Blocked artery
3 months in external fixation.
Rehab hicups
Nerve pain from artery repair
16/1/07 Osteotomy to repair plateau angle

Offline Layla

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 09:27:49 AM »
  Thankyou so much to Nettan and to Yippy,for taking the time to reply to me,I will check out the site that you suggested although as well as being new to tpf,I am also quite a novice on the computer,I had a better day yesterday,managed to get out of house for a while with help of course.just a trip in the car does so much for morale.I find the days are so long with just my dog for company,but I guess you have been there too,this site is a godsend it,s great to know you are out there,and that there is life after tpf,love Layla

Offline Julia C.

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 11:55:06 AM »
Hi Layla
I don't know anything about tpfs, but I feel for you about the days being so long.
I will check out the site that you suggested although as well as being new to tpf,I am also quite a novice on the computer
We've all been computer novices at some time! :)
If you can't find the "Bone breaks around the knee" area on this site just click http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=21.0 < that and it'll take you straight there. :)

Julia
Sept 2005 - Benign tumour removed from right knee, diagnosed as localised pigmented villonodular synovitis.

Offline Layla

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 10:21:09 AM »
 Just to say I have checked out the postings on bone breaks around the knee site,and have found a lot of help there,it is very comforting to know that what I am going through now is usual in these breaks,I am now able to PWB and feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel,I .  am hoping to be able to FWB when I next see OS in about 4 weeks.  Layla

Offline Julia C.

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 11:44:50 AM »
I am glad things are beginning to look a bit better for you Layla. Good luck with continued improvement. :)
Sept 2005 - Benign tumour removed from right knee, diagnosed as localised pigmented villonodular synovitis.