Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Doctor stumped - need help  (Read 895 times)

Offline mr_flood

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Doctor stumped - need help
« on: October 03, 2005, 03:54:29 PM »
I'm a 35 yr old male that works out at the gym but do not participate in sports.  Last January I began experiencing swelling in the back of my left knee with no associated pain or specific injury.  Over the course of the next few months I tried changing my workout or stopping my leg workout altogether.  What I discovered was that the swelling would go down after a few days and the knee would act pretty normally but then I would do something, perhaps turn on it or do an exercise and the swelling would come back. But, with no pain and full functionality.

In April I finally went to a Orthopedist/Sports Medicine doctor when I felt that things were getting worse: the swelling was staying for longer and longer periods no matter how much I stayed off of it.  After the initial examination the Ortho told me he was 99% sure that I had a Medial Meniscus(?) tear and sent me for an MRI.  He kept on putting in my record that I came in due to pain but I did not have pain and kept on telling him that.

The next week the MRI came back and I went to see him, the results were negative, no damage apparent anywhere in my knee.  At this point he kind of shrugged his shoulders and gave me an excercise routine saying that perhaps I spraigned it but not really offering me much by way of confidence.  At this point I went and bought a brace and decided to not work out on it at all.

After 2 months of wearing the brace and not working out on it my knee was feeling pretty good.  There was definately weakness in it but no more swelling.  Since then I have been working out, with the brace on, fairly heavily, on my legs and am experiencing the following symptoms:

My left knee grinds in the knee cap area when going from a bent position to straight with weight on it.  It feels weak in a general sense and I have developed a slight pain when squatting in that tendon(?) that connects the top of the knee cap to bottom of my thigh, if that makes any sense. 

Perhaps the most peculiar of all the symptoms, though, is a 'tightness' that I feel at the top of my calf where it connects behind my knee (where the swelling used to be).  It feels like I'm going to 'pull' something there all of the time, even though I haven't yet.  It doesn't hurt, it just feels really weak and on the verge of 'pulling'.  I'm getting that same tightness at the top of my right calf now as well, but only in a very slight way.  This is especially true after having sat down for a while, my knee gets very tight there at the top of the calf and I have to work it out for a couple of minutes before I feel comfortable walking on it normally.

Finally, I believe the swelling is gone so much as I can't tell that it's there, even after working out on it these past few months.

Anyone have any ideas because I'm at my wit's end.  Thanks for your response.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Doctor stumped - need help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 04:24:23 PM »
It sounds like arthritus but I am no dr so dont take that statement too seriously. The best thing for you to do is get another opinion from someone qualified to tell you what is wrong with your knee(s). I got three opinions before I found an OS whom I felt comfortable with. MRIs are notoriously not accurate.dont worry about that. Mine said that I had a torn meniscus.I actually had an chondral defect down to the bone . The grinding is called crepitus and is pretty much normal.It is only a bad sign when the  grindingis accompanied by pain. The stiffness after sitting is what makes me think that it might be arthritus. Again, I am not in the medical field so please get another opinion on your knee. I would not trust a dr who just shrugged his shoulders at me. That is a sure sign that he is not the dr for you.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 10:21:53 PM »
I agree with missy, you should get a second opinion and when you do ask him about arthritus and the possiblitiy that the MRI was a false negative. When i had my first MRI it said that everything was fine, but it turned out that i had a torn meniscus and a sprained ACL.
Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Amanda

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 10:50:47 PM »
I really agree with amanda and missy, you can always get a second opinion and whavtevr you do dont go around trsuting MRI's. Mine showed my knee was in 100%perfect condition, and I ended up getting about 8 opinions before one doctor actually realized what was wrong and had to do a pretty big surgery. Goodluck!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

support