Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: sports in three months...  (Read 986 times)

Offline monster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
sports in three months...
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:52:23 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm from the Philippines and just got my ACL surgery almost 2 months ago (july 1 exactly). It's kind of weird because I expected to really have a hard time to rehab and recover, but right now,  I already have 130 degrees flexion (my right leg has 135 degrees) and have been discharged from Rehab...

It seems that my rehab is really going well and I feel the strength in my left knee. My question is, is it normal to be able to go back to sports in three months? Although I feel great about my fast recovery, I also don't want to over do it as I don't want to re-injure my knee again. Right now, I already walk normally, and the only complaint I have right now is the little "stiffness" I feel in my hamstring when I try to bend it by bringing my foot to my buttocks. Aside from this, everything feels great.

Hope some knee geeks can help me out and give me some clarity on what I should do and if this is a normal thing...

thanks

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: sports in three months...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 08:04:20 AM »
It depends which sports you are intending to go back to - contact sports such as soccer and rugby are usually delayed until you are at least 6 months post-op (the guy who owns the PT practice where I go recommends 9 months before returning to those sports) but some people go back at 4 months if they have a very fast recovery - ask your surgeon what you are able to do.

Rachel

Offline monster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:10:11 AM »
Hey,

Thanks for your quick response. I play basketball and I know it's totally different from football and rugby so perhaps I really can get back in four months... Thanks for the assist.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »
You really should talk to your doctor.  I don't think the return to cutting and pivoting sports has to do with lack of pain so much as the amount of time it takes for the ACL graft to vascularize and become an organic part of your knee.  I think the graft is actually at its most vulnerable a few months after the surgery, but again, this would depend on your graft choice and the other problems you had in your knee, along with your rehab status. 

I do know that my knee surgeon is one of the best, and he pioneered the 'rapid return to sports' concept with the use of patellar tendon grafts and very strong internal fixation.  But even he doesn't allow return to sports for world class athletes who make their living playing soccer, basketball, and skiing until about 6 months post op.  He does allow running and such at about four months, but no cutting or pivoting sports.  He's an amazing doctor who is 100% focused on getting athletes back on the playing field, so I have to assume that there's a reason for the six month requirement.

Here's a link to his web page, and the rehab protocol:  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/acl/recovery.asp  (this page goes straight to rehab/recovery, but there are four other pages dealing with the ACL injury from start to finish, including FAQ's).  As always, links like this are just a guideline--you really should talk to your surgeon and show him how much progress you have made.  Find out straight from the person who's been inside your knee what kind of recovery time you are looking at.

Also, take some time to be really grateful and proud of yourself for such a speedy recovery!  Luck is a factor, and the skill of your surgeon--but so is hard work.  You have done a great job at your rehab.  Now you just need some guidance on next steps and areas to concentrate on, and hopefully you'll be back to sports before you know it.

Heather
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 08:20:44 AM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline monster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 08:26:32 AM »
Heather,

Thanks so much for your e-mail. I immediately read through your link and will study it further. I will definitely talk with my doctor and will seek his advise with regards to my desire to return to active sports at the earliest time.

My graft was taken from my hamstring and although I am no longer a full time athlete, I did agressive rehabilitation for one week and did it 3 times a week until my discharge last week. Next step is to strenghten my muscles through gym work.

Thanks again...

Offline Bmm1821

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 02:45:27 AM »
Recovery time and motion I have come to find out depends on the person. I had had 8 knee surgeries in 2 months. About 3 months out of the hospital I played basketball even though I still had an IV in....which was pretty amazing. I just found out that I have been playing basketball with a severed ACL. I have to have ACL surgery too. But take it easy and just take it day by day. One of my mistake was after running I didnt ice it as much as I should have. So make sure to do that. Also, if u dont already have one, ask ur doctor if there is a knee brace you can wear until you feel absolutly comfortable running. They really do help. I hope I have helped some what. Good Luck
<3 Bmm1821

support