Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Baker's (popliteal) cyst - SUCCESS STORIES  (Read 5646 times)

Offline speedyatetree

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Baker's (popliteal) cyst - SUCCESS STORIES
« on: August 17, 2005, 06:48:40 PM »
Hi, I've got a baker's (popliteal) cyst and I'm finding it difficult to trust Dr's when all they want to do is MRI scans and consultations. Seems the easiest way would be to just set fire to my money in the back garden, instead.

I'm struggling to find someone with a success story or any positive outcome from treatment of a baker's (popliteal) cyst.

Please can you post here if you've had a success story and what it was due to. If you're a sports person with a success story, even better!!

Thanks.

Dan

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Baker's (popliteal) cyst - SUCCESS STORIES
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:56:56 PM »
I had one rupture when I was in college. I had another one come up and I had it surgically removed. The OS thinks that I have another one now but I had no problems for 20 yrs after I had that second one cut out.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline speedyatetree

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:23:42 PM »
Ok, but why the recurring treatment? How active are you? I need to be training every single day for my sport.

Dan

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:46:06 PM »
When I had the first two, I was extremely active. I played raquetball several days a week and was on 2 softball teams. Now, I am not active at all. I have had too many ortho surgeries to be able to do any sports anymore.  some say that a bakers cyst is a sign that there is a problem inside the knee but back then, I had no knee problems whatsoever. My injuries are due to a car accident not a long term problem (well , its been 4 yrs but that isnt long term in mymind)
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 08:30:11 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by success story with *baker's cysts*, because a popliteal cyst is usually linked to some kind of underlying and chronic problem.  Usually it is arthritic change in the knee, a torn meniscus, or something like that.  A baker's cyst isn't a diagnosis...most often it's not a problem in itself but rather usually a sign of an ongoing condition in the knee.  Sometimes, neither the cyst nor the underlying condition can cause the patient any real problems, so they are hidden conditions.  Other times, it can cause pain periodically, then resolve on its own.  Lots of people have baker's cysts without knowing they do, for example, and it's not uncommon to see an MRI for other problems note in passing that there is a popliteal cyst in the knee.  My baker's cyst is very painful at times, completely asymptomatic at others.  It seems to relate to how big the cyst itself is.

I imagine this is why the doctors you've seen are intent on MRI's and exams/tests on your knee--because there isn't really a treatment for a baker's cyst, per se.  Instead, the underlying knee problem causing the cyst is addressed, and that usually takes care of the problem.  Sometimes a cyst is bad enough in itself to require surgical decompression, but I think that's pretty rare and it is a big surgery with an incision behind the knee.  More often, a scope or something would be done to look for a torn meniscus, synovitis, etc., and hope that this takes care of the baker's cyst.  At least that's my understanding, and I've had one of the nasty little puppies for about two and a half years.  Mine is due to meniscal degeneration and articular cartilage damage.  This is the approach my doctors have taken, but I'm not a professional athlete or even a weekend warrior anymore.   ::) ;D  That might make all the difference.  So would your age, activities/sports, and the general state of your knee health--could you have a torn meniscus, for example?  Repetitive stress injury?

I'm not sure how many athletes are diagnosed as having a baker's cyst--you might want to do some research on the web about that.  Also, you could try seeing a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon who takes care of a lot of athletes in your particular sport.  That might be the best way to find a good treatment plan and success stories.  Find a doctor you really trust, one who understands your sport and can diagnose whatever is causing your baker's cyst.  Someone you can trust.  If you want to post the general region where you live, someone might even be able to recommend a sports medicine orthopedist for you to consider.

Heather

PS Here are some links on baker's cysts and their treatment--maybe this will help to reassure you?  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001222.htm  This link even has motivational strategies for dealing with this:  http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/knee/bakers_cyst_tx.html 

This link goes through the surgical procedure and recovery:  http://experts.about.com/q/2076/3675964.htm

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 09:13:06 AM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:13:08 AM »
Just my personal experience here but when I had my baker cyst surgically removed, it was a simple in office procedure with a local anth and a tiny incision. It did not even require one stitch.

My first cyst was very painful but my current one is not painful at all. I didnt even know that I had one until I had another MRI.

good luck
missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 05:02:33 AM »
Missy,

I think that means you had your cyst aspirated, which they'll often try rather than doing surgery.  That used to be the standard treatment in days before arthroscopic surgery was done on a wide scale, because it was so much easier than an open incision.  But I don't think aspiration is done much anymore--I've asked five different doctors and they won't even consider it on my knee!

You're lucky the aspiration worked for so long, that's a great result. Is it the same knee that is now giving you trouble from your car accident and microfracture?   My current baker's cyst goes through phases.  Usually, it doesn't hurt too much, but I'm always aware of it.  It's in my 'good' knee, and I think that my bad knee hurts so much I can't really focus on anything else!  When my bad knee feels better, I'm much more aware of the baker's cyst and the pain it causes.  Also, if I'm on my feet for a while, like when I travel by plane, I feel like the cyst gets much bigger and it is very painful.  You can feel it bulge out the back of my knee...it's nasty.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline speedyatetree

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 10:21:42 AM »
Thanks for your input guys. This post was meant for 'success stories'. But I guess the fact no one has posted with one, speaks for itself.

Ta.

Dan

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 11:41:52 AM »
Heather, I was an adult when this happened. I believe that I can tell the difference from an aspiration and someone cutting something out of my leg. THe surgeon numbed it up and CUT IT OUT. Everyones experiences are different. We cannot judge what happens to other people. YOur experiences may be different from mine but I do know what was done to me in the surgeons office.

missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis