Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: need support from some who have been there  (Read 1570 times)

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
need support from some who have been there
« on: August 17, 2005, 04:08:53 PM »
Hi All
It has been over a month since I fell off a ladder and injured my left knee.  (tibial plateau fractures non displaced, torn acl, meniscus damage)  never underestimate the damage that 3 feet of air and gravity can do.
My op has had me on crutches for the fractures to heal since that time, and I go back next week for more x rays.  The leg itself feels fine, and I hope that at that time the acl will be addressed.   I want the surgery to fix it... just getting that on the calendar will be a means for me to be able to see the end of this.   
I thought I was doing fine after the initial emotional meltdown, and although I am no longer in pain, my knee is so unstable.
Yesterday I stepped down to put my crutches aside, and it felt like it just gave out.   It hit me all over that my normal mobility is gone, and I had a terrible night of crying and thinking the worst.   I have been very active up until this happened, and being on crutches for the past month has been a real challenge.   I am really struggling right now with my emotions.
From all the reading I have done, I understand what is involved with a hamstring graft to fix the acl, and I am ready, if it means gettiing better.   I am not afraid of the physical therapy, and I know I will be a good patient and do everything the op says.   I am already doing leg lifts, heel slides and range of motion movements like crazy, and also working on my upper body strength to help with the crutch work. 
But suddenly I am so scared that my life from this point will never be the same.    I need to hear from some of you who have had the acl replacement surgery, to know that it does get better.   When it is over and healed, after therapy, do you really have your pre-accident mobility back?  Can you ever again go about your daily routines without being afraid your knee will suddenly give out?   Does your knee ever feel normal again?  I am having so much anxiety right now, and I think hearing some success stories would help a lot.
Ann
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005

Offline beckyc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: need support from some who have been there
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 04:27:13 PM »
My husband had his ACL done about 10 years ago. He has never had a problem since. He plays volleyball, basketball, baseball and weight lifts. He also does some running. I have never even heard him say that his knee is stiff. I have never seen his knee give out and never noticed him worry about anything with the knee. Good luck to you, it will all work out in the end.
Becky

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »
Ann

I had the ACL in my left knee reconstructed using a hamstring autograft on 20 January and tomorrow will be 30 weeks post-op.  It has worked really well for me so far - most days I forget that I have ever had a bad knee.  It still flares up occasionally if I overdo things but as that is to be expected, I don't worry and just ease up on my exercise for a day or two and it then goes away.  I went back to my sport of rowing in April and have been gradually increasing my training intensity over the past few months - I go back to full training when the new season starts at the end of September but will still be careful.  i don't regret having the operation at all.

Rachel

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:20:35 PM »
Ann,

Had autopatellar recon as an oldster last November and man I had alot of crying "I've lost it all forever" days too.  At six months post-op I was back on the racquetball court playing carefully.  At nine months, I am kicking up the pace and movement and pivoting in my game.  Just spent a week in unGodly sweltering D.C. walking and walking and walking, some of it up and down all those smooth old marble staircases, with tons of weight in my backpack from books I purchased and things seemed pretty darn good with knee.  I am gaining more and more confidence with each month with knee and expect to be FULLY recovered by one year to eighteen month post-op mark.  And, like I said, that is for an older patient.  Think positivelly; don't let it lick you.  I wish you the best and speediest recovery. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:12:09 PM »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!!!   I really needed to hear those success stories.   You have helped me to get refocused on life after recovery.   Some days it seems like it will never end, and hearing about some positive outcomes is just what I needed.
Ann
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005