Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Feeling discouraged  (Read 927 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Feeling discouraged
« on: August 17, 2005, 05:25:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

I knew it was all going way too well in recovering from my surgery. And today I hit that point where things aren't seeming to go so well anymore and it's not a good feeling. I've had to feel this way too many times and even though this is really minor it's still really discouraging. Basically my ROM has gone downhill a bit and considering that my surgery was to replace my scarred patellar tendon and scar tissue was a big problem leading to that it's not a good thing that my range isn't so great. I was having a good day in PT until it was time to work on my flexion. My PTA from the office I used to go to that closed was there today helping my PT out as she was short handed. I was so happy to see her and to get to work with her because she is so wonderful and so encouraging. My PT is absolutely wonderful as well but my PTA has worked with me since the first time I went to PT in 1999 and has been there through everything my knee has gone through so I just feel really close to her. I wish she was working full time at this office but actually she just got hired to cover for another PTA at one of the other offices in the company. But it was so great to see her today and I think she's going to be there Thursday too. She had me working hard today too-adding new exercises and really just cheering me on.

Then came the time to work on my flexion and that's where the fun ended. First she was stretching me while I was sitting on the table with my leg hanging down and my PT was there to measure my range. That was really painful and I only got to 70 degrees. I also was lifting my hip off of the table and using my other leg instinctively when she was pushing back my bad leg. So they decided to have me lie down and try to bend my knee while I was on my back. This time my PTA was measuring and my PT was stretching. Again I was only able to get to 70 and it was really painful. My PTA tried again to bend it using some different approaches but it just hurt so bad and really didn't get me anywhere. They had the PT student who works there trying to talk to me through this so I would be distracted but that didn't work and I was just in alot of pain. After all of that they had me lie on my back, put my foot on the wall, put heat on my leg and had me lie like that trying to move my leg further down the wall for 10 minutes. I got a tiny bit more range after that but not much. It just wasn't fun and was extremely discouraging. I know I was at about 90 last week and this week it's all gone downhill. So the first thing we're going to do is I'm going to call my OS's office tomorrow and ask him if it's okay for me to use my flexion dynasplint when I sleep. It's horrible, uncomfortable and I hate it but I NEED to get my flexion back ASAP-that's the most important thing. And I'm also going to keep my leg bent at all times when I'm not standing as my brace has to be locked when I'm standing. Hopefully we'll see some improvement on Thursday.

I'm just really upset by this and the thing is that I don't think my PT's realize it. I mean they probably do in a way but it's always been my nature to not let them see me upset about all of the things that have happened with my knee. I don't know why but when I'm there I play happy and cheerful me even if I'm really down about this. I think on Thursday I need to be honest with them about how discouraging this setback really is for me. I just want to be able to bend my knee. I can't go through the failure again, this surgery has to work and for it to work I need to be able to bend my knee. I'm just a bit scared right now so thanks for listening.

(((Hugs)))
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Feeling discouraged
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:50:44 PM »
Sharon, I understand that you feel down and worries. You really need to tell them how you feel, how the real Sharon feels right now. It's easier for both you and also for them. Hope you get hold on your OS soon and that this is one of the setbacks you can get and nothing more.
Thinking of you !!

NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support