Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Terrible pain after surgery  (Read 1419 times)

Offline ybnormal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Terrible pain after surgery
« on: August 17, 2005, 03:44:16 AM »

I'm sorry to bother anybody but I'm a lost ball in high weeds & about at the end of my rope> I hurt my knee very badly in January. I went to my Doctor who sent me for a MRI. She told me there wasn't anything wrong. But I couldn't walk for the pain. I went to an Orthopedist we had used before for my husband. He is a very good Doctor. I think. He looked at the MRI I had done & said it was nothing but gave me a shot of Cortizone & sent me on my way. It was OK for a couple of weeks tops. I went back & He had his group do a MRI. He said it was a Torn Meniscus. I went to have the surgery and they wouldn't operate. I'm a Diabetic (Type2) & my Blood Sugar was 370. They wouldn't touch me until I got it down, now mind you I was in the most awful pain!! To say the least.
I went on insulin besides my regular medication & some others. It took over 3 weeks to get it down. They operated in May. I did all the exercises, took the anti-inflammatory and did all he said. After the surgery pain & some healing, in the end of June I tried to get back into walking. I started walking around the block, within a week my knee started hurting like it did before. A sharp, piercing pain in the side of my knee on every step.
Three weeks ago, I was hurting so bad I went back. He again gave me a shot of Cortizone in my knee. It helped the pain for about a week this time.
I do not know what to do NOW. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions? Please? I bought an elastic type knee brace tonight but I don't even know if it'll help. But I will try just about "anything"!!!  Thank you for listening (Reading)..   ybnormal   

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Terrible pain after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 04:18:53 AM »
Hi ybnormal,

Sorry you are in such pain.  It can be draining and confusing to try and get to the bottom of it.

I'm sure some of us feel like we say the same thing over and over, but when you aren't getting a definitive answer from one doctor, it's time to get a second opinion.   Are you able to take pain medication and if so, are you?

There is a reason for your pain, especially a sharp piercing pain. It's not anything to self-administer...I would definitely get a second opinion.

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline ybnormal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 12:25:16 AM »
I know it has been since August but I did wrong. I kept going back to my same Surgeon. Just hoping & praying he'd see the pain I was in and finally find me some relief from the pain that was steadily getting worse & worse. Each time I called (& he always said: If you have any problems...call ME!) He would give me a shot in my knee and said it'd be OK.
I finally got tired of him & his SHOTS. I called about 2 months ago and his Nurse (?) called me and left a message on my recorder saying: The Doctor said if I wanted he would order me some Physical Therapy and that my problem was Arthritis (funny, I was NEVER told this, no X-Rays, no nothing). But that was the last straw!!!
I went to another Orthopedist. He immediately took X-Rays. They showed that I had Medial Compartment Arthritis. I am now bowl-legged and one side of my knee bones doesn't even begin to touch the other. About an inch gap. Today I got a brace and if this doesn't work- he said I'd need a partial knee replacement. He doesn't want to do a total knee replacement, he says I'm too young. I'm 57. He also wants me to ride a stationary bike or swim. I haven't got a place to swim this time of year.
I am still hoping beyond hope & praying to the Dear Lord that this pain will ease.   

Offline Nails

• Regular Poster
  • I love sports!!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:04:04 AM »
There is always hope...
Hang in there...

Nails
ACL Reconstruction June '05 (Hamstring Graft)
MCL Tear Grade III
Bone Bruise
Cyst
Dried up cartilage on bone
"Its time to release the beast.. Let me play!"
*18 years old*

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 03:11:20 PM »
ybnormal - Haven't seen any posts from you, and was wondering how you are making out? Are you getting any relief with the brace? Did you decide to try PT to see if it helps?

Please let us know how you are doing.

All my best.

MSS
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 04:25:27 PM »
ybnormal,

I'm glad you saw another OS for an opinion. 

I hope what I tell you willl help you with your situation.  I've had grade 4 (severe bone on bone) OA in the medial (inside) part of both my knees.  This has been ongoing for years, so I understand the pain you are in.  My OA caused my legs to be so bowlegged, that I stopped wearing dresses and skirts to work, in favour of pants which sort of hid the bowlegs. 

Over the course of several years, I tried everything suggested...orthodics, braces, physio, bike riding etc etc.  Some things did help, as strengthening the muscles is a good first step to help align the knee.  I finally reached the stage where my quality of life was so affected, that surgery was the route open to me to find relief.

I had partial knee replacements on both knees last year at age 49.  Haven't looked back.  My life has changed for the better 100%!  Am I totally pain free?  No...I still have OA in the other compartments, but the surgery realigned my legs so that they are not as bowlegged and the weight on my knees is more evenly distributed.  I no longer need pain meds and anti-inflammatories just to get me through the day.  I sleep better.  I LOOK better...amazing how living with pain drags you down and people start mentioning how tired you look!  Now they say I look great!

So, listen to your surgeon and try first what he suggests.  I didn't have a pool available either, but I could ride my stationary bike.  The idea is to strengthen your legs...it won't hurt, only help you.  But ultimately you will need to decide if surgery is the right option.  You'll want to decide before your OA becomes so progressed PKRs won't be an option and instead you will be looking at TKRs.  Consider your quality of life.  All I can say is that this surgery was the right choice for me and I wish I had it done years ago!

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer!

kath
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 04:26:58 PM by kath »
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004