Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy - Post-op  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Arthroscopy - Post-op
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 12:27:10 AM »
Hiya aerial,

Whoohoo Im loving your post op diary but not cos youve still got pain :( just because im a couple of days behind you and im pretty much on a par with you as your days go!  Im pretty much having the same pain as i had before but it is really difficult to tell so early!! Im still thinking hmm do i risk work on friday but i really dont think its a good idea as yet...might have to see the doc which is always an experience hmmm.

Ps with regards to Ibruprofen as ive had a gammy knee for 2 years I used to take it constantly like 1200 - 1600 a day until i started being sick in the mornings.......doctor came to the usual conclusion with sickness in the morning and it took a good few weeks before the connection was made!!.  I would be careful with prolonged use. i took it for about 10 months before i started to get problems but they do say some people are more subseptable than others.  Ive now got some called Arthrotec 50  which have special stomach protection stuff in it and it seems to do the trick, although there are warnings on the packet about risk of miscarriage so if this is a risk of pregnancy dont do it!!! the doc prescribed these cos of previous trouble.

Hope everything settles down for you soon

Caggie xxx
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 19/08/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 07/10/05
L/K Open lateral cyst excision 11/11/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy  in 2007
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 03/08/12
L/K lateral Meniscectomy/Chondroplasty 25/04/16

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 01:47:21 AM »
Just a heads up..if you are going to increase your dosage, talk it over with your OS and GP...I get blood drawn every 3 months and they do a lipid test also a liver and kidney function test..so far I have no ill affects.--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 11:20:48 AM »
Thanks Ariel I'm going in for this next week on Thursday and it's great to get some idea what to expect post-op. I've got a medial men tear in my left knee and and only have 30-90 degrees movement (been like it for over 2 months now) so I'm looking forward to any more rom I get!
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

ariel

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 05:46:09 PM »
Thanks Caggie, DJK and Charlie :)

Day 10:

Knee's almost completely healed from the surgery - swelling's virtually gone - portals have largely healed - I took the steri-strips off on Day 7 or Day 8 - the poratls have dried up nicely since then. Two dried vertical slits either side of the kneecap now.

However, the underlying degenerative medial meniscus issues are still there - mild popping and clicking when walking - the main problem is the pain and aching though - in particular, significant aching from the back of the knee joint which goes down the back of my calf - taking liberal amounts of Ibuprofen and paracetemol at the moment because I'm sick of the aching.

I'm now actively looking into ways of reducing the load on the medial side of my knee.

ariel

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »
Day 11:

Knee's largely healed from the surgery now - swelling's virtually gone - portals have largely healed which is a good thing.

ROM

Can fully straighten leg - but hurts a bit when doing so.
Can Flex knee to 120 degree's which is ok - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

However, no improvement in underlying condition - Pain is the worst symptom with mild popping/clicking and warmth secondary to this.

The pain radiates all over the joint but is focussed at the back of the knee and the top of my calf - the pain often goes down the back of my calf into my foot making my toes curl down inwards.

Medication[/u]

Took more medication the last day or two because of awful aching - roughly 800mg of Ibuprofen, 2500mg of paracetemol.

Looking forward[/u]

WIll be seeing the OS soon to get a summary of the arthroscopy and the way forward.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 07:54:11 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »
Day 12:

Knee's virtually healed from the surgery now - slight pain on touch over portals - scabs over portals.

ROM

Can fully straighten leg - slight pain and soarness when I do though - this is from the underlying condition though and not related to surgery.

Can Flex knee to 120-125 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

The aching and burning Pain from the back of my knee and top of my calf is the worst symptom I have - mild popping/clicking are secondary to this - it's the constant pain that's doing my head in.

Medication[/u]

800mg of Ibuprofen, 2000mg of paracetemol a day at the moment - the pills do help with pain relief.

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar in a few days - thank god :)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 01:05:40 PM by ariel »

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2005, 02:54:54 AM »
Ello

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2005, 03:19:10 AM »
Day 9 for me:

Raised portal medial side massive.............might be normal but dunno

constant aching in knee - not normal huts like hell doc wished me good luck said he hoped it was worth it !!! i know i will need crutches tomorrow hmmm :(
XXX

ariel

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »
Thanks Caggs - hope your knee situation is improving.

Day 13:

Knee's virtually healed from the surgery now - slight pain on touch over portals - scabs over portals.

Exercise[/u]

Straight leg raises and extensions from 90 degrees to straight with ankle weights. Trying to build up my Vastus medialis in particular.

ROM

Can fully straighten leg - slight pain and soarness when I do though - this is from the underlying condition though and not related to surgery.

Can Flex knee to 125 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

The aching and burning Pain from the back of my knee and top of my calf is the worst symptom I have - mild popping/clicking are secondary to this.

Medication[/u]

800mg of Ibuprofen, 2000mg of paracetemol a day at the moment - the pills do help with pain relief.

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar in a few days.

ariel

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2005, 07:54:04 AM »
Day 14:

Nothing's changed from yesterday really - constant aching burning pain from back of knee that radiates all over the knee and down the back of my calf into my foot.

Exercise[/u]

Straight leg raises and extensions from 90 degrees to straight with ankle weights. Trying to build up my Vastus medialis in particular - quite enjoying the exercises.

ROM

Quite pleased with ROM - enjoying the exercises.

Can Flex knee to 125-130 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

The aching and burning Pain from the back of my knee and top of my calf is the worst symptom I have - mild popping/clicking are secondary to this.

Medication[/u]

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar in 2 days roughly.

shadehawk

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2005, 11:26:03 AM »
Ariel,

Everything sounding very good from your surgery.   Your ROM is great.....

Sorry that your original pain is back again, that is disheartening, but my OS said it might take up to 6 months for this feeling to improve - maybe you will also be told that so do not give up.  It just might take awhile for your pain to subside.

I know it is very hard though when you get this pain back again.

Good luck with your OS appointment.

Shade

ariel

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »
Thanks Shade - it's good to hear some positive words and sentiments - I'll be seeing my OS in the next day or two - I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again :)

ariel

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2005, 02:46:20 PM »
Day 15:

Knee's fractionally better today in terms of a slight reduction in pain - main pain is still an aching/burning pain from the back of my knee that radiates all over the knee and down the back of my calf into my foot.

Slightly better than yesterday though. Will be seeing my OS or his registrar tomorow. Bought some shock-absorbing heel inner-soles today.

Exercise[/u]

Straight leg raises and extensions from 90 degrees to straight with ankle weights. Trying to build up my Vastus medialis in particular - quite enjoying the exercises.

ROM

Quite pleased with ROM - enjoying the exercises.

Can Flex knee to 125-130 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

Medication[/u]

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar tommorow.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:48:05 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2005, 09:26:38 PM »
Day 16[/u]

Well, finally got to see my OS's registrar today for a follow up appointment regards the surgery - apparently all the important structures in the knee were reasonably ok in the Arthroscopy - there wasn't anything "acute" or "obvious" to repair or whatever - obviously some wear and tear due to age - they're not sure what's causing the pain from the back of my knee and down the back of my calf into my foot - it's aching like mad tonight (as ever) primarily at the back of the knee and the top of the calf - I'm starting to wonder whether there's any nerve/blood vessel/"entrapment"/"compartment" type damage or issue at the back of the knee or the top of my calf - the continuous aching pain gets that bad it sort of makes my foot go numb and my toes curl downwards. I've got an appointment to go back to see them in 4 months time to see what's what, then.

Anyways, I have to carry on with Physio - my Vastis medialis has atrophied alot, amongst other muscles and I'm determined to find out the cause of the constant pain/aching.

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2005, 01:14:43 AM »
Hiya,

So the registrar didnt really have a clue and sent you on your way for the next 4 months?? did they give any indication? i just checked and yeah you are in the uk that explains a lot!! it doesnt sound particularly normal that though, did they think it was just you still healing? even on nhs i would hope that they would review you earlier than that?  I guess your follow up is quicker than mines going to be! mines 6th October!

I hope things start to improve for you soon

Caggie xx

support