Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy - Post-op  (Read 7864 times)

Offline stoutfalcon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Remeber,No matter where you go<there you are
Re: Arthroscopy - Post-op
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 01:54:19 PM »
 :) your doing good for just being three days out. I would talk to doc about the plasters,and like Shade said,pat the leg dry. It wont like being rubbed at day three
 Keep icing as needed,and when you are just siitting around .it'll help bring the swelling down.Keep flexing as tolerated,dont let it stiffen on you
Good luck
TTT/LR 6/23 
38yo male
3.5yrs on aircraftcarrier/14yrs commercial/residential construction,?wonder why my knee are boogered up

ariel

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 01:51:04 AM »
Thanks Stout, I appreciate that :)

Day 4: Very early in the morning:

• Swelling is fractionally less than it was yesterday - main area of swelling is still above the knee.
  • Pain has reduced a fraction - I'd describe it as relatively mild at the moment - although it's still very sore and "dry" - there's aching in the knee and down the back of my calf - walking with a slight limp still - pain when walking still - improved a fraction over yesterday though.
  • Puncture wounds appear to be healing fine.
  • Can straighten the leg - little bit painful when I do though - can flex it to about 95 degrees - slight improvement over yesterday - not pushing the flexing too much though at this stage.
  • Took roughly 800 mg of Ibuprofen.

Day 4 verdict - reasonably happy so far - incremental , measured progress - not bad for 3-4 days post op.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 02:02:46 AM by ariel »

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 02:20:47 AM »
Sounds like good progress...the next couple of days you should see a good amount of progress...I'm just a couple days ahead of you post op and our progress has been roughly the same day to day...just don't do too much and have a setback and you'll be back to somewhat normal in no time...Take care--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

ariel

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 08:53:49 PM »
Thanks DJK - hope your's is going well aswell :) - thought I'd do a brief update because of a minor issue:

Day 4+1/2:

*Swelling is fairly minimal now - quite happy.

*Pain's reduced a fraction on yesterday - relatively mild but still quite sore - aching in joint and down back of calf.

*Walking's improved somewhat - less limping than yesterday.

*Can straighten leg - slightly sore when do so.

*Can flex to 100 degrees now - not pushing too hard - but trying to get 3-5 degrees a day.

*Took 400 mg of Ibuprofen so far today - will take another 200mg  later.

*** Minor issue - Medial portal has been bleeding slightly - hadn't noticed, then checked a few hours later and a bog blotch of blood had soaked through and semi-dried - will be keeping a close eye on this over the next 24 hours - Lateral portal seems reasonably hard and dry though - no probs with lateral portal so far.

Day 4+1/2 verdict - generally happy with progress - didn't expect any bleeding, however, it only seems minor so no worries :)

* ROM Tip - we've got an "office chair" with wheels on - makes a nice adhoc ROM excercise machine - start sitting and flat foot at 90 degrees - push chair back gently to straighten legs, then wheel back to 90 degree start position and back to straight again - once warmed up can wheel back to 95 100 degrees etc etc - nice, gentle ROM excercise with no weight bearing involved :)

ariel

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 01:25:45 PM »
Day 5:

* Swelling is minimal now.

* Mild pain generally, mild pain when walking - quite sore still.

* Walking's improved somewhat in terms of not limping as much.

* Can straighten leg fully - slightly sore when do so.

* Can flex leg to 100-105 degrees.

* Medial portal has stopped bleeding - wounds healing reasonably well.

* Took 400 mg ibuprofen so far - will be taking another 400mg before the days out.

Day 5 verdict: - reasonably happy - however, certainly no magick "cure" - I'll have to wait some time yet to see whether there's an improvemnet relative to before surgery.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 02:48:55 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 02:46:11 PM »
Day 6:

* Very little sweling now.

* Pain increased a fraction over yesterday - pain when walking - sore still.

* Can walk with very little limp now - but painful.

* Can straighten leg fully.

* Can Flex leg to 105 degrees

* Still a bit of fluid from medial portal - moist.

* Have taken 400 mg Ibuprofen - will need another 400mg before the days out.

Day 6 verdict - not as happy as I have been - feels like I've got exactly the same areas of pain that I had before surgery - constant mild pain and moderate aching is getting me down today - am now hoping things improve in the coming week.

shadehawk

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2005, 03:17:04 PM »
Ariel,

Sorry that you are a bit down today....that is what happened to me - I have the same pain as I started with & have OA behind the patella - Yuck!!, but think we have to give ourselves more time to heal before we know that we are having the same type of pain.....We have to get our knees completely healed first - before we really know and it does take time.......
Maybe you are just a little swelled today & that is the reason for the pain or it could be that you are feeling much better and overdoing it a little.

Hopefully, you will get some answers when you go for your next OS appointment & find out everything that was done during your operation.   Give it more time.

Good luck,

Shade   

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:55:50 PM by Shade »

ariel

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 07:14:47 PM »
Thanks Shade, for those kind words :)

I've got a nervous feeling that I'm slipping towards osteo-arthritis aswell - at the moment the diagnosis is "Degenerative changes Medial meniscus" and am not entirely sure what that means - I suspect it means, multiple subtle frays of my medial meniscus, but I'm not totally sure - I've got an appointment to go back to see the OS in 1 weeks time so I'll find out more then on what exactly they've done and what the prognosis is. I'm lucky in one way that there aren't any acute tears in my ligaments or meniscii - however, as we know, there's no fun in the "degenerative" and "osteo-arthritis" side of things - anyways, I'm hopefull, it's still only 6 days post-op.

And good luck to you with your current knee situation - I hope you're improving and getting more out of life day by day.

Good luck :)

ariel

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »
Day 7:

* Very little sweling at all now.

* MIld pain, aching and soreness generally - mild pain and soreness when walking.

* Can walk pretty normally now in terms of having very little limp - walking mechanics ok.

* Can straighten leg fully.

* Can Flex leg to 110 degrees now - doing ROM exercises on sliding office chair - working well.

* Medial and lateral portal are healing reasonably well (lateral portal's healed well) - a little bit of blood still from the Medial one - however, sharp pain from Medial portal since I've removed the steri strips - sharp pain on touching Medial portal.

* Have taken 600 mg of Ibuprofen (Advil) - Ibuprofen doing it's job and easing the pain.

Day 7 verdict - still feeling a bit despondent - the knee's healing from the arthroscopy ok, but the underlying "degenerative" issues and pain are still there - however, I'll have a better idea of where I stand in a few weeks when the surgery has calmed down alot more.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:39:05 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 05:31:38 PM »
1 week post-op verdict

Broadly speaking , the knee's recovered from surgery well - however, the pain areas feel almost exactly like they were before the arthroscopy - I've got constant mild pain and significant aching in the joint and down the back of my calf - Ibuprofen definately helps with the pain though - I'll have a better idea of where I stand in another weeks time though.

shadehawk

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 05:39:04 PM »
Ariel

Glad that the healing has been working....sorry that the pain is back again.....  That sucks!!

Do you take mobic for your knees?  Just wondering because I took it awhile back and plan on getting it once again (tomorrow) when I go back to my GP.  I did not find that it took all my pain away, but it did help.

Good luck,

Shade

ariel

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 05:49:57 PM »
Hi Shade,

I'm currently taking roughly 600-800 mg of Ibuprofen a day - (I think Ibuprofen's also called "Advil" over your side of the pond) - I've not tried Mobic - it's frustrating because I could take the maximum of 1200 mg of Ibuprofen a day at the moment and have less pain again - however, you sort of have to "ration" your stomach out a bit with the NSAID's because of the stomach pain etc etc.

I'll be seeing the OS next week for a post-op report - hopefully then I can discuss ways of reducing the load on the medial side of my knee etc - if you've got any tips feel free to add them to my thread in the General area at the top.

Thanks Shade :)

ariel

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 03:57:42 PM »
Day 9:

Knee's healed well from surgery in terms of swelling very minimal now and portals drying up nicely etc - however, the underlying condition is still the same - mild popping and clicking when I'm walking - mild to moderate pain and significant aching much of the time - main pain from the back of the knee and down the back of my calf - Taking more Ibuprofen now to try and nullify the pain somewhat.

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 07:23:45 PM »
Sounds like your progressing well...I see you are taking Advil at 1200mg a day..maybe they package it differently overseas, but our maximum is 2400mg daily...I've been taking that for roughly 10 months now..plus maybe either an ultracet or a vicoden for breakthrough pain.

Keep up the good progress--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

ariel

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 08:39:11 PM »
Hi DJK, and thanks :) - on that subjext, I've started a thread in the general section to canvas opinions on Ibuprofen/Advil dosage to see what everyone's taking - I'm curious to know what people consider to be safe levels over longer periods and whether anyone's getting any "stomach" issues as a result.