Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy - Post-op  (Read 7866 times)

ariel

Arthroscopy - Post-op
« on: August 16, 2005, 07:00:40 PM »
Hi all - had my Arthroscopy today :) - all went well - apparently all the major structures in my Knee are reasonably ok - however, still a diagnosis of "degenerative changes in medial meniscus" on one of the summary sheets - I'll be going back in a couple of weeks to find out more about what they found etc - mild pain at the moment - I was able to walk out of the hospital, no crutches needed etc. Just a question or two about post-op excercies etc.

1) - How long should you wait before starting conservative excercies (ie gentle straightening, pushing the knee down flat on the bed, wiggling toes, quad tensing/relaxing)

2) - The physio at the hopital said it would be ok to do full weight bearing gentle walking around the house with an emphasis on not limping - does this sound ok.

3) - Does it sound about right to take your bandages off after roughly 2-3 days - also, is it ok to take a shower on the day that you take your bandages off.

Also, feel free to add any other post op tips etc.

Thanks everyone :)

shadehawk

Re: Arthroscopy - Post-op
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
Ariel,

Wow, things are sounding very good.  Walking out after surgery without crutches is a really good sign.

About the dressings.  Taking them off in 3 to 4 days sounds normal,  I was told not to get soap in the stitches and to pat dry after shower.  I had my bandages removed on 4th day and could take shower the same day also....I used a little plastic stool in the shower as I was still weak standing, but that depends on you.....

Being full weight-bearing without limping would sound normal also after arthroscopic surgery. 

Take care and hope everything goes well for you,

Shade

ariel

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:53:12 PM »
Thanks Shade :) - after being in the recovery room etc, the physio came round and got me gently walking within about 1 hour of waking up from the surgery - I wasn't offered any crutches at all - presumably they thought I was reasonably ok etc. It's now about 6-7 hours since the surgery and the pain's building up in the leg (I've just took 400mg of Ibuprofen for starters - I'm going to drop some more later ;)) - my toes are slightly numb at the moment - feels like they are trying to curl up "on their own" if that makes sense - I feel in good spirits though, generally and it's good to see some friendly faces here now that I've actually had the op.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 07:54:45 PM by ariel »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 08:38:21 PM »
Ariel, good to hear that everything good so far.
Take it easy with your knee and take day by day.
Looking forward to hear about your process and what the doc says when you get back.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

ariel

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 10:26:21 PM »
Thanks Nettan :) - btw, does anyone know if it 's normal in the first few days for it to be swollen like a Football (Soccer ball) - I'm about 10 hours post-op and mines swollen into like a round ball both front back and sides - it's like a straight leg and then a "sphere" at the knee joint - admitedly, the bandages puff it out a bit but it's still a ball shaped swelling - does that sound normalish?

Thanks.

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 11:35:39 PM »
Ariel,

Some people are really swelled.  I was not as I was put on a CPM machine for 231/2 hr a day and I also had an aircast cold therapy unit on 24 hrs a day to keep the knee cool all the time. 

Elevate and ice as much as you can and do ankle pumps that will get rid of the swelling.

Good luck,

Shade

Offline khaley80

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:49:19 PM »
Hey Ariel,

I had an arthroscopy about three weeks ago. I was swollen for about four days and I was also in pain but I had pain medicine for that. I was also walking around the first day, in fact, I left the hospital and went to the pharmacy and IHOP, my surgery was at 12 and I was starving. It is a good idea to keep it elevated and iced. I started exercising on the second day, just leg presses and heel slides trying to get my ROM back.  It sounds like everything you are going through is pretty normal. Just give it some time and rest.

Good luck,

Kate
plica removal 11/2000
lateral release 7/2004
arthroscopy 7/2005
TTT/VMO 6/29/06
Hardware removal 5/24/07

ariel

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 10:39:56 AM »
Thanks all - day 2 - 20 hours on from-op - mild/moderate pain soreness and stiffness - painful when walking - very swollen still - toes aren't numb any more though - all in all reasonably happy so far - could have been alot worse :)

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 05:37:58 PM »
Sounds like your doing well...I had a scope on 8/11 and am now 6 days post op...definetly remove the bandage and shower on day 3 your knee/leg will thank you..plus you will feel much better... try you best to weight bear without a limp...it will help in the long run.

Good vibes headed your way--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

ariel

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 07:41:30 PM »
Thanks man, and good luck with your recovery - having just checked under the bandages the swellings gone down alot thankfully. Just one question though for anyone - when you take your bandages off and have a shower, say around day 3, do you still leave the plasters on that they put over the puncture wholes - or do get rid of the plasters and shower on your "bare knee".

Thanks.

shadehawk

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 07:48:43 PM »
Hi,

Plasters - do not understand - do you mean the steri-strips?  If it looks like a little bandage over the stitches - do not pull them off.  They will come off all by themselves.  Pat your surgical area dry after your shower and you should have no problems.

I am still wearing my ace bandage, but everyone is different....

Shade

ariel

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 08:13:06 PM »
Thanks Shade - I'll keep them on then when I shower - they're sort of like sqaure 2*2 inch waterproof thingies with an antisceptic bandage in the middle - just another thing - how long do you have to keep these plasters (that are over the puncture wounds) on for - is it like a week or 2 weeks or what.

Thanks.

shadehawk

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 08:18:51 PM »
Ariel,

Those plasters do not sound like what I had - I had steri-strips over my stitches.  I think mine lasted for about 10 days.  I had dissolving stitches underneath the steri-strips.....These were right over the portal holes.....

Shade
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 09:23:33 PM by Shade »

Offline khaley80

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 09:06:30 PM »
Ariel,

My OS told me to take them off when I remove the ace bandage. I just had to put waterproof bandaids on when I showered. 

Kate
plica removal 11/2000
lateral release 7/2004
arthroscopy 7/2005
TTT/VMO 6/29/06
Hardware removal 5/24/07

ariel

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 05:17:00 AM »
Thanks Khaley & Shade:

Day 3 - very early:

* Swelling is fairly minimal now - most swelling that's left is just above the knee.
* Mild to moderate pain - very sore and feels "dry" inside - painful to walk on - I'm hobling  about with a limp at present - will try to get that right over the next few days.
* Puncture wounds seem to be heeling fine.
* Can straighten the leg most of the way
* Can flex the leg to 90 degrees - I'm not going to push it considering I'm only 2 days after the op - will hopefully be improving on this over the next few days though.
* Took roughly 800 mg of Ibuprofen.

Day 3 verdict: - reasonably happy so far (relative to having had surgery) - however, pain and soreness (particularly when walking) is getting me down a bit - this willl no doubt improve over the next week or two though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 05:19:23 AM by ariel »

Offline stoutfalcon

• Regular Poster
  • Remeber,No matter where you go<there you are
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 01:54:19 PM »
 :) your doing good for just being three days out. I would talk to doc about the plasters,and like Shade said,pat the leg dry. It wont like being rubbed at day three
 Keep icing as needed,and when you are just siitting around .it'll help bring the swelling down.Keep flexing as tolerated,dont let it stiffen on you
Good luck
TTT/LR 6/23 
38yo male
3.5yrs on aircraftcarrier/14yrs commercial/residential construction,?wonder why my knee are boogered up

ariel

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 01:51:04 AM »
Thanks Stout, I appreciate that :)

Day 4: Very early in the morning:

• Swelling is fractionally less than it was yesterday - main area of swelling is still above the knee.
  • Pain has reduced a fraction - I'd describe it as relatively mild at the moment - although it's still very sore and "dry" - there's aching in the knee and down the back of my calf - walking with a slight limp still - pain when walking still - improved a fraction over yesterday though.
  • Puncture wounds appear to be healing fine.
  • Can straighten the leg - little bit painful when I do though - can flex it to about 95 degrees - slight improvement over yesterday - not pushing the flexing too much though at this stage.
  • Took roughly 800 mg of Ibuprofen.

Day 4 verdict - reasonably happy so far - incremental , measured progress - not bad for 3-4 days post op.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 02:02:46 AM by ariel »

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 02:20:47 AM »
Sounds like good progress...the next couple of days you should see a good amount of progress...I'm just a couple days ahead of you post op and our progress has been roughly the same day to day...just don't do too much and have a setback and you'll be back to somewhat normal in no time...Take care--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04

ariel

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 08:53:49 PM »
Thanks DJK - hope your's is going well aswell :) - thought I'd do a brief update because of a minor issue:

Day 4+1/2:

*Swelling is fairly minimal now - quite happy.

*Pain's reduced a fraction on yesterday - relatively mild but still quite sore - aching in joint and down back of calf.

*Walking's improved somewhat - less limping than yesterday.

*Can straighten leg - slightly sore when do so.

*Can flex to 100 degrees now - not pushing too hard - but trying to get 3-5 degrees a day.

*Took 400 mg of Ibuprofen so far today - will take another 200mg  later.

*** Minor issue - Medial portal has been bleeding slightly - hadn't noticed, then checked a few hours later and a bog blotch of blood had soaked through and semi-dried - will be keeping a close eye on this over the next 24 hours - Lateral portal seems reasonably hard and dry though - no probs with lateral portal so far.

Day 4+1/2 verdict - generally happy with progress - didn't expect any bleeding, however, it only seems minor so no worries :)

* ROM Tip - we've got an "office chair" with wheels on - makes a nice adhoc ROM excercise machine - start sitting and flat foot at 90 degrees - push chair back gently to straighten legs, then wheel back to 90 degree start position and back to straight again - once warmed up can wheel back to 95 100 degrees etc etc - nice, gentle ROM excercise with no weight bearing involved :)

ariel

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 01:25:45 PM »
Day 5:

* Swelling is minimal now.

* Mild pain generally, mild pain when walking - quite sore still.

* Walking's improved somewhat in terms of not limping as much.

* Can straighten leg fully - slightly sore when do so.

* Can flex leg to 100-105 degrees.

* Medial portal has stopped bleeding - wounds healing reasonably well.

* Took 400 mg ibuprofen so far - will be taking another 400mg before the days out.

Day 5 verdict: - reasonably happy - however, certainly no magick "cure" - I'll have to wait some time yet to see whether there's an improvemnet relative to before surgery.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 02:48:55 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 02:46:11 PM »
Day 6:

* Very little sweling now.

* Pain increased a fraction over yesterday - pain when walking - sore still.

* Can walk with very little limp now - but painful.

* Can straighten leg fully.

* Can Flex leg to 105 degrees

* Still a bit of fluid from medial portal - moist.

* Have taken 400 mg Ibuprofen - will need another 400mg before the days out.

Day 6 verdict - not as happy as I have been - feels like I've got exactly the same areas of pain that I had before surgery - constant mild pain and moderate aching is getting me down today - am now hoping things improve in the coming week.

shadehawk

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2005, 03:17:04 PM »
Ariel,

Sorry that you are a bit down today....that is what happened to me - I have the same pain as I started with & have OA behind the patella - Yuck!!, but think we have to give ourselves more time to heal before we know that we are having the same type of pain.....We have to get our knees completely healed first - before we really know and it does take time.......
Maybe you are just a little swelled today & that is the reason for the pain or it could be that you are feeling much better and overdoing it a little.

Hopefully, you will get some answers when you go for your next OS appointment & find out everything that was done during your operation.   Give it more time.

Good luck,

Shade   

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:55:50 PM by Shade »

ariel

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 07:14:47 PM »
Thanks Shade, for those kind words :)

I've got a nervous feeling that I'm slipping towards osteo-arthritis aswell - at the moment the diagnosis is "Degenerative changes Medial meniscus" and am not entirely sure what that means - I suspect it means, multiple subtle frays of my medial meniscus, but I'm not totally sure - I've got an appointment to go back to see the OS in 1 weeks time so I'll find out more then on what exactly they've done and what the prognosis is. I'm lucky in one way that there aren't any acute tears in my ligaments or meniscii - however, as we know, there's no fun in the "degenerative" and "osteo-arthritis" side of things - anyways, I'm hopefull, it's still only 6 days post-op.

And good luck to you with your current knee situation - I hope you're improving and getting more out of life day by day.

Good luck :)

ariel

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »
Day 7:

* Very little sweling at all now.

* MIld pain, aching and soreness generally - mild pain and soreness when walking.

* Can walk pretty normally now in terms of having very little limp - walking mechanics ok.

* Can straighten leg fully.

* Can Flex leg to 110 degrees now - doing ROM exercises on sliding office chair - working well.

* Medial and lateral portal are healing reasonably well (lateral portal's healed well) - a little bit of blood still from the Medial one - however, sharp pain from Medial portal since I've removed the steri strips - sharp pain on touching Medial portal.

* Have taken 600 mg of Ibuprofen (Advil) - Ibuprofen doing it's job and easing the pain.

Day 7 verdict - still feeling a bit despondent - the knee's healing from the arthroscopy ok, but the underlying "degenerative" issues and pain are still there - however, I'll have a better idea of where I stand in a few weeks when the surgery has calmed down alot more.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:39:05 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 05:31:38 PM »
1 week post-op verdict

Broadly speaking , the knee's recovered from surgery well - however, the pain areas feel almost exactly like they were before the arthroscopy - I've got constant mild pain and significant aching in the joint and down the back of my calf - Ibuprofen definately helps with the pain though - I'll have a better idea of where I stand in another weeks time though.

shadehawk

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 05:39:04 PM »
Ariel

Glad that the healing has been working....sorry that the pain is back again.....  That sucks!!

Do you take mobic for your knees?  Just wondering because I took it awhile back and plan on getting it once again (tomorrow) when I go back to my GP.  I did not find that it took all my pain away, but it did help.

Good luck,

Shade

ariel

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 05:49:57 PM »
Hi Shade,

I'm currently taking roughly 600-800 mg of Ibuprofen a day - (I think Ibuprofen's also called "Advil" over your side of the pond) - I've not tried Mobic - it's frustrating because I could take the maximum of 1200 mg of Ibuprofen a day at the moment and have less pain again - however, you sort of have to "ration" your stomach out a bit with the NSAID's because of the stomach pain etc etc.

I'll be seeing the OS next week for a post-op report - hopefully then I can discuss ways of reducing the load on the medial side of my knee etc - if you've got any tips feel free to add them to my thread in the General area at the top.

Thanks Shade :)

ariel

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 03:57:42 PM »
Day 9:

Knee's healed well from surgery in terms of swelling very minimal now and portals drying up nicely etc - however, the underlying condition is still the same - mild popping and clicking when I'm walking - mild to moderate pain and significant aching much of the time - main pain from the back of the knee and down the back of my calf - Taking more Ibuprofen now to try and nullify the pain somewhat.

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 07:23:45 PM »
Sounds like your progressing well...I see you are taking Advil at 1200mg a day..maybe they package it differently overseas, but our maximum is 2400mg daily...I've been taking that for roughly 10 months now..plus maybe either an ultracet or a vicoden for breakthrough pain.

Keep up the good progress--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04

ariel

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 08:39:11 PM »
Hi DJK, and thanks :) - on that subjext, I've started a thread in the general section to canvas opinions on Ibuprofen/Advil dosage to see what everyone's taking - I'm curious to know what people consider to be safe levels over longer periods and whether anyone's getting any "stomach" issues as a result.

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 12:27:10 AM »
Hiya aerial,

Whoohoo Im loving your post op diary but not cos youve still got pain :( just because im a couple of days behind you and im pretty much on a par with you as your days go!  Im pretty much having the same pain as i had before but it is really difficult to tell so early!! Im still thinking hmm do i risk work on friday but i really dont think its a good idea as yet...might have to see the doc which is always an experience hmmm.

Ps with regards to Ibruprofen as ive had a gammy knee for 2 years I used to take it constantly like 1200 - 1600 a day until i started being sick in the mornings.......doctor came to the usual conclusion with sickness in the morning and it took a good few weeks before the connection was made!!.  I would be careful with prolonged use. i took it for about 10 months before i started to get problems but they do say some people are more subseptable than others.  Ive now got some called Arthrotec 50  which have special stomach protection stuff in it and it seems to do the trick, although there are warnings on the packet about risk of miscarriage so if this is a risk of pregnancy dont do it!!! the doc prescribed these cos of previous trouble.

Hope everything settles down for you soon

Caggie xxx
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 19/08/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 07/10/05
L/K Open lateral cyst excision 11/11/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy  in 2007
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 03/08/12
L/K lateral Meniscectomy/Chondroplasty 25/04/16

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 01:47:21 AM »
Just a heads up..if you are going to increase your dosage, talk it over with your OS and GP...I get blood drawn every 3 months and they do a lipid test also a liver and kidney function test..so far I have no ill affects.--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 11:20:48 AM »
Thanks Ariel I'm going in for this next week on Thursday and it's great to get some idea what to expect post-op. I've got a medial men tear in my left knee and and only have 30-90 degrees movement (been like it for over 2 months now) so I'm looking forward to any more rom I get!
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

ariel

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 05:46:09 PM »
Thanks Caggie, DJK and Charlie :)

Day 10:

Knee's almost completely healed from the surgery - swelling's virtually gone - portals have largely healed - I took the steri-strips off on Day 7 or Day 8 - the poratls have dried up nicely since then. Two dried vertical slits either side of the kneecap now.

However, the underlying degenerative medial meniscus issues are still there - mild popping and clicking when walking - the main problem is the pain and aching though - in particular, significant aching from the back of the knee joint which goes down the back of my calf - taking liberal amounts of Ibuprofen and paracetemol at the moment because I'm sick of the aching.

I'm now actively looking into ways of reducing the load on the medial side of my knee.

ariel

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »
Day 11:

Knee's largely healed from the surgery now - swelling's virtually gone - portals have largely healed which is a good thing.

ROM

Can fully straighten leg - but hurts a bit when doing so.
Can Flex knee to 120 degree's which is ok - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

However, no improvement in underlying condition - Pain is the worst symptom with mild popping/clicking and warmth secondary to this.

The pain radiates all over the joint but is focussed at the back of the knee and the top of my calf - the pain often goes down the back of my calf into my foot making my toes curl down inwards.

Medication[/u]

Took more medication the last day or two because of awful aching - roughly 800mg of Ibuprofen, 2500mg of paracetemol.

Looking forward[/u]

WIll be seeing the OS soon to get a summary of the arthroscopy and the way forward.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 07:54:11 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »
Day 12:

Knee's virtually healed from the surgery now - slight pain on touch over portals - scabs over portals.

ROM

Can fully straighten leg - slight pain and soarness when I do though - this is from the underlying condition though and not related to surgery.

Can Flex knee to 120-125 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

The aching and burning Pain from the back of my knee and top of my calf is the worst symptom I have - mild popping/clicking are secondary to this - it's the constant pain that's doing my head in.

Medication[/u]

800mg of Ibuprofen, 2000mg of paracetemol a day at the moment - the pills do help with pain relief.

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar in a few days - thank god :)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 01:05:40 PM by ariel »

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2005, 02:54:54 AM »
Ello

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2005, 03:19:10 AM »
Day 9 for me:

Raised portal medial side massive.............might be normal but dunno

constant aching in knee - not normal huts like hell doc wished me good luck said he hoped it was worth it !!! i know i will need crutches tomorrow hmmm :(
XXX

ariel

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »
Thanks Caggs - hope your knee situation is improving.

Day 13:

Knee's virtually healed from the surgery now - slight pain on touch over portals - scabs over portals.

Exercise[/u]

Straight leg raises and extensions from 90 degrees to straight with ankle weights. Trying to build up my Vastus medialis in particular.

ROM

Can fully straighten leg - slight pain and soarness when I do though - this is from the underlying condition though and not related to surgery.

Can Flex knee to 125 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

The aching and burning Pain from the back of my knee and top of my calf is the worst symptom I have - mild popping/clicking are secondary to this.

Medication[/u]

800mg of Ibuprofen, 2000mg of paracetemol a day at the moment - the pills do help with pain relief.

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar in a few days.

ariel

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2005, 07:54:04 AM »
Day 14:

Nothing's changed from yesterday really - constant aching burning pain from back of knee that radiates all over the knee and down the back of my calf into my foot.

Exercise[/u]

Straight leg raises and extensions from 90 degrees to straight with ankle weights. Trying to build up my Vastus medialis in particular - quite enjoying the exercises.

ROM

Quite pleased with ROM - enjoying the exercises.

Can Flex knee to 125-130 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

The aching and burning Pain from the back of my knee and top of my calf is the worst symptom I have - mild popping/clicking are secondary to this.

Medication[/u]

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar in 2 days roughly.

shadehawk

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2005, 11:26:03 AM »
Ariel,

Everything sounding very good from your surgery.   Your ROM is great.....

Sorry that your original pain is back again, that is disheartening, but my OS said it might take up to 6 months for this feeling to improve - maybe you will also be told that so do not give up.  It just might take awhile for your pain to subside.

I know it is very hard though when you get this pain back again.

Good luck with your OS appointment.

Shade

ariel

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »
Thanks Shade - it's good to hear some positive words and sentiments - I'll be seeing my OS in the next day or two - I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again :)

ariel

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2005, 02:46:20 PM »
Day 15:

Knee's fractionally better today in terms of a slight reduction in pain - main pain is still an aching/burning pain from the back of my knee that radiates all over the knee and down the back of my calf into my foot.

Slightly better than yesterday though. Will be seeing my OS or his registrar tomorow. Bought some shock-absorbing heel inner-soles today.

Exercise[/u]

Straight leg raises and extensions from 90 degrees to straight with ankle weights. Trying to build up my Vastus medialis in particular - quite enjoying the exercises.

ROM

Quite pleased with ROM - enjoying the exercises.

Can Flex knee to 125-130 degree's - sharp pain as usuall if I try and flex any further.

Pain

Medication[/u]

Looking forward[/u]

Will be seeing my OS or his registrar tommorow.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:48:05 PM by ariel »

ariel

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2005, 09:26:38 PM »
Day 16[/u]

Well, finally got to see my OS's registrar today for a follow up appointment regards the surgery - apparently all the important structures in the knee were reasonably ok in the Arthroscopy - there wasn't anything "acute" or "obvious" to repair or whatever - obviously some wear and tear due to age - they're not sure what's causing the pain from the back of my knee and down the back of my calf into my foot - it's aching like mad tonight (as ever) primarily at the back of the knee and the top of the calf - I'm starting to wonder whether there's any nerve/blood vessel/"entrapment"/"compartment" type damage or issue at the back of the knee or the top of my calf - the continuous aching pain gets that bad it sort of makes my foot go numb and my toes curl downwards. I've got an appointment to go back to see them in 4 months time to see what's what, then.

Anyways, I have to carry on with Physio - my Vastis medialis has atrophied alot, amongst other muscles and I'm determined to find out the cause of the constant pain/aching.

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2005, 01:14:43 AM »
Hiya,

So the registrar didnt really have a clue and sent you on your way for the next 4 months?? did they give any indication? i just checked and yeah you are in the uk that explains a lot!! it doesnt sound particularly normal that though, did they think it was just you still healing? even on nhs i would hope that they would review you earlier than that?  I guess your follow up is quicker than mines going to be! mines 6th October!

I hope things start to improve for you soon

Caggie xx

ariel

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2005, 07:59:36 PM »
Thanks Caggs for the supportive words - and I hope you're doing well at your end with your post-op knee situation :)

Day 17[/u]

Knee's virtually healed from surgery - only tiny swelling over each portal hole now - Continuous burning/aching pain from the back of my knee down the back of my calf and into my foot as ever though - I'm beggining to suspect some kind of nerve type damage at the back of my knee - it's uncanny that I regularly get a cold "numb" ish tingling sort of foot in addition to the aching pain etc -  on a positive note, I'm going to step the physio up now and to that end I've got some sort of "theraband" type tubing today to do leg exercises with - lots of Ibuprofen and Paracetemol as ever - trying to keep spirits up and determined to find the source of the pain/injury at the back of my knee.

I'll be drawing this post-op diary to a close very soon and moving back to the rest of the site with normal questions or whatever as usuall.

Thanks to everyone for their support over the last few weeks - a few positive words means the world when you're alone and in continuous pain.

Thanks again,

Ariel

ariel

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2005, 07:36:47 PM »
Day 19[/u]

Last post-op post today - (I'll be carrying on as normal on the rest of the forum though).

Knee's basically healed from the arthroscopy - went for a 1.5 - 2 mile walk yesterday - increasing aching pain throughout the walk - nothing new there, then - Ibuprofen and Paracetemol as ever throughout the day - Pain's still the main problem I have - it's been slightly stiff in the mornings lately though with a knawing aching pain on waking up - the stiffness goes after half an hour or so though but the pain continues and builds throughout the day - I've stepped up the physio now considering my ligaments atleast have been given a reasonable bill of health.

Anyways, back to the main part of the forum.

Thanks for all the post-op support everyone.

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2005, 11:55:20 PM »
wow go you great walk!!! Im really pleased for you :) i cant really walk 100 yards yet but hoping soon :) if youre anything to go by yeyyyyyy!!! thanks for your post its really helped me being a couple of days behind to realise that all the strange things i was experiencing werent quite so weird!!:)

Good luck for the future and long may you recover

Caggie

xx