Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy - Post-op  (Read 7867 times)

ariel

Arthroscopy - Post-op
« on: August 16, 2005, 07:00:40 PM »
Hi all - had my Arthroscopy today :) - all went well - apparently all the major structures in my Knee are reasonably ok - however, still a diagnosis of "degenerative changes in medial meniscus" on one of the summary sheets - I'll be going back in a couple of weeks to find out more about what they found etc - mild pain at the moment - I was able to walk out of the hospital, no crutches needed etc. Just a question or two about post-op excercies etc.

1) - How long should you wait before starting conservative excercies (ie gentle straightening, pushing the knee down flat on the bed, wiggling toes, quad tensing/relaxing)

2) - The physio at the hopital said it would be ok to do full weight bearing gentle walking around the house with an emphasis on not limping - does this sound ok.

3) - Does it sound about right to take your bandages off after roughly 2-3 days - also, is it ok to take a shower on the day that you take your bandages off.

Also, feel free to add any other post op tips etc.

Thanks everyone :)

shadehawk

Re: Arthroscopy - Post-op
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
Ariel,

Wow, things are sounding very good.  Walking out after surgery without crutches is a really good sign.

About the dressings.  Taking them off in 3 to 4 days sounds normal,  I was told not to get soap in the stitches and to pat dry after shower.  I had my bandages removed on 4th day and could take shower the same day also....I used a little plastic stool in the shower as I was still weak standing, but that depends on you.....

Being full weight-bearing without limping would sound normal also after arthroscopic surgery. 

Take care and hope everything goes well for you,

Shade

ariel

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:53:12 PM »
Thanks Shade :) - after being in the recovery room etc, the physio came round and got me gently walking within about 1 hour of waking up from the surgery - I wasn't offered any crutches at all - presumably they thought I was reasonably ok etc. It's now about 6-7 hours since the surgery and the pain's building up in the leg (I've just took 400mg of Ibuprofen for starters - I'm going to drop some more later ;)) - my toes are slightly numb at the moment - feels like they are trying to curl up "on their own" if that makes sense - I feel in good spirits though, generally and it's good to see some friendly faces here now that I've actually had the op.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 07:54:45 PM by ariel »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 08:38:21 PM »
Ariel, good to hear that everything good so far.
Take it easy with your knee and take day by day.
Looking forward to hear about your process and what the doc says when you get back.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

ariel

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 10:26:21 PM »
Thanks Nettan :) - btw, does anyone know if it 's normal in the first few days for it to be swollen like a Football (Soccer ball) - I'm about 10 hours post-op and mines swollen into like a round ball both front back and sides - it's like a straight leg and then a "sphere" at the knee joint - admitedly, the bandages puff it out a bit but it's still a ball shaped swelling - does that sound normalish?

Thanks.

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 11:35:39 PM »
Ariel,

Some people are really swelled.  I was not as I was put on a CPM machine for 231/2 hr a day and I also had an aircast cold therapy unit on 24 hrs a day to keep the knee cool all the time. 

Elevate and ice as much as you can and do ankle pumps that will get rid of the swelling.

Good luck,

Shade

Offline khaley80

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:49:19 PM »
Hey Ariel,

I had an arthroscopy about three weeks ago. I was swollen for about four days and I was also in pain but I had pain medicine for that. I was also walking around the first day, in fact, I left the hospital and went to the pharmacy and IHOP, my surgery was at 12 and I was starving. It is a good idea to keep it elevated and iced. I started exercising on the second day, just leg presses and heel slides trying to get my ROM back.  It sounds like everything you are going through is pretty normal. Just give it some time and rest.

Good luck,

Kate
plica removal 11/2000
lateral release 7/2004
arthroscopy 7/2005
TTT/VMO 6/29/06
Hardware removal 5/24/07

ariel

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 10:39:56 AM »
Thanks all - day 2 - 20 hours on from-op - mild/moderate pain soreness and stiffness - painful when walking - very swollen still - toes aren't numb any more though - all in all reasonably happy so far - could have been alot worse :)

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 05:37:58 PM »
Sounds like your doing well...I had a scope on 8/11 and am now 6 days post op...definetly remove the bandage and shower on day 3 your knee/leg will thank you..plus you will feel much better... try you best to weight bear without a limp...it will help in the long run.

Good vibes headed your way--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

ariel

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 07:41:30 PM »
Thanks man, and good luck with your recovery - having just checked under the bandages the swellings gone down alot thankfully. Just one question though for anyone - when you take your bandages off and have a shower, say around day 3, do you still leave the plasters on that they put over the puncture wholes - or do get rid of the plasters and shower on your "bare knee".

Thanks.

shadehawk

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 07:48:43 PM »
Hi,

Plasters - do not understand - do you mean the steri-strips?  If it looks like a little bandage over the stitches - do not pull them off.  They will come off all by themselves.  Pat your surgical area dry after your shower and you should have no problems.

I am still wearing my ace bandage, but everyone is different....

Shade

ariel

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 08:13:06 PM »
Thanks Shade - I'll keep them on then when I shower - they're sort of like sqaure 2*2 inch waterproof thingies with an antisceptic bandage in the middle - just another thing - how long do you have to keep these plasters (that are over the puncture wounds) on for - is it like a week or 2 weeks or what.

Thanks.

shadehawk

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 08:18:51 PM »
Ariel,

Those plasters do not sound like what I had - I had steri-strips over my stitches.  I think mine lasted for about 10 days.  I had dissolving stitches underneath the steri-strips.....These were right over the portal holes.....

Shade
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 09:23:33 PM by Shade »

Offline khaley80

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 09:06:30 PM »
Ariel,

My OS told me to take them off when I remove the ace bandage. I just had to put waterproof bandaids on when I showered. 

Kate
plica removal 11/2000
lateral release 7/2004
arthroscopy 7/2005
TTT/VMO 6/29/06
Hardware removal 5/24/07

ariel

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 05:17:00 AM »
Thanks Khaley & Shade:

Day 3 - very early:

* Swelling is fairly minimal now - most swelling that's left is just above the knee.
* Mild to moderate pain - very sore and feels "dry" inside - painful to walk on - I'm hobling  about with a limp at present - will try to get that right over the next few days.
* Puncture wounds seem to be heeling fine.
* Can straighten the leg most of the way
* Can flex the leg to 90 degrees - I'm not going to push it considering I'm only 2 days after the op - will hopefully be improving on this over the next few days though.
* Took roughly 800 mg of Ibuprofen.

Day 3 verdict: - reasonably happy so far (relative to having had surgery) - however, pain and soreness (particularly when walking) is getting me down a bit - this willl no doubt improve over the next week or two though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 05:19:23 AM by ariel »

support