Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Worried about surgery, am I getting the right one?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline jdspaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Worried about surgery, am I getting the right one?
« on: August 16, 2005, 06:48:35 PM »
Hi everyone, I posted a while ago with the description of the surgery I'm scheduled to have on Oct 24/05.  It sounded like I would be having a TTT (15+ dislocations of my right patella).  I was told to buy a cryo-cuff and Zimmer splint for after surgery and I would be off for 3-4 months.  I phoned the OS office yesterday to get a letter for my insurance company and this I got a message on my answering machine from the OS's office saying I was scheduled for a scope and that I wouldn't need to buy anything!  So of course I'm freaking out at this point.  I called the OS office again and was told that there was some type of mix-up and I am scheduled for a 2 hours Osteotomy (whatever that is).  I'm now being told I will be off for 4-9 weeks depending on my job and I will be in physio for 12 weeks right after surgery.

Does anyone know what an Osteotomy is and will it correct dislocations?  All I've been able to find is that it is performed on younger patients who should not have a knee replacement yet.  I'm 28 and I do have osteoarthritis in my knee but the main problem is the repeated dislocations.  It's been happening since I was 12 and it's getting to the point where is pops out when I'm shopping.  I'm not active and never have been because of this problem.  What are the recovery timelines for this type of procedure.  Would I be crazy to make an appointment with the doctor just to discuss this and to put my mind at ease?  I have cancelled a couple of surgeries in the past because of my nerves and I finally thought I was ready for this but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Worried about surgery, am I getting the right one?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 07:32:12 PM »
Hi Jdspaz,
   A TTT is an osteotomy.  It should correct maltracking, center your knee cap in the trochlear groove and help stop dislocations.  I have had the Maquet TTT on both knees.  I was off work and non-weight bearing for 10 weeks after surgery, but a lot of people go back to work sooner and start weight-bearing sooner.   There are 4 types of surgery that are considered TTs and the rehab protocol varies for each procedure and for each OS.  Are you scheduled for a pre-op apointment?  This is where the OS and I discussed the surgical procedure and rehab protocol again and he answered all of the uqestions that I had.   If you are having recurrent dislocations, you definitely need to get that corrected before you do any more damage to the knee (I am speaking from experience here).  There are other options that aren't quite as drastic as a TTT.  I would suggest going to www.kneehippain.com and reading the surgery section under patellar pain.  There are a couple of other good site.  I will let you know what they are when I remember!  Good luck.

Patty

Offline jdspaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 05:29:58 PM »
Because of my age and general good health I won't be having a pre-op.  I'm just outside of Toronto and the health care system isn't the greatest here.  I would have thought a pre-op was standard but it must be another way to save money.  I don't understand one thing about the surgery, if a part of my leg will be broken and screws put in to hold it together, how can I start physio right away?  I will be in a splint for weeks but I assumed it would be until the bone healed.  Did you use a cryo-cuff after your surgery for the pain and swelling?  Did you find the surgery a success?  I was told I would have about an 80% chance of success in stopping future dislocations.  My only other option is a knee replacement but I am too young for that right now and the doctor wonít do it anyway. 

You mentioned I need to get the dislocations fixed before I do more damage to my knee, what other damage could be done?  I have osteoarthritis in my knee.  I assumed that after all the dislocations I have had all the damage is already done.  By dislocations I mean when my patella goes to the back of my leg and stays there until someone can put it back or it goes back on its own.  I usually end up in a fibreglass cast or a splint for 6 weeks and then physio.  I have had several partial dislocations where the patella only goes as far as the side of my leg and goes back in by itself.  I donít bother going to the hospital about those anymore.  The last dislocation was at the beginning of March of 2005.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 06:26:10 PM »
Hi Jdspaz,
   If you are not having a pre-op with the Dr. I would call and see about getting an appointment to answer all of your questions.  Most people start physio shortly after surgery.  It doesn't necesasarily mean that they are doing all kinds of exercises.  Some start with ultrasound (speeds healing), E stim, gentle range of motion.  Even though the bone is broken and then moved, the bone isscrewed in its new location and the screws hold it very tightly.  I did not use a cryo cuff, I was in a fiberglass cast from hip to ankle for 3 1/2 weeks after surgery.  Most people that aren't casted do use a cryo cuff and find them very helpful.  Like you I am looking at TKR and I am too young.  My OS did a Maquet procedure which is designed primarily to elevate the patella off the joint ro relieve the pain from the OA.  The surgery on the right knee helped a little bit, certainly not as much as the OS and I were hoping.  The left knee has been worse since surgery.  But there may be a scar tissue issue going on with it.   Most people that have the more medially oriented surgery do have good success with stopping dislocations.  There is definitely damage done to your knee already, but each subsequent dislocation just furthers the damage or may create new damage.  Have you gotten a 2nd opinion?  I went to 5 different OSs and then did some research on the web before making a final decision.  I would also recommend using a doctor that has performed a lot of TTT surgeries.  It isn't a very common procedure.  Good luck!

Patty

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 07:34:59 PM »
Hi Jdspaz,

Are you sure you won't be having a pre-op prior to your surgery?  I live not too far from the Toronto area, and I attended an almost full-day pre-op clinic a week before my surgery.  This is where they took blood, urine, tested for infections, met with Occupational Therapist, Anethesiologist, Nurses, watched a video, got to ask all the questions I needed to ask.

This is almost standard for knee surgeries in our area...both for young and old alike. In fact, if you didn't attend the pre-op clinic, your surgery would be cancelled!   It may be that you haven't yet been notified of this as your surgery is not until October. 

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline jdspaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 07:00:07 PM »
Hi Kath,

The OS office told me I don't need to have a pre-op because I am generally healthy.  Everyone I have said this to is surprised because they have never heard of it.  Funny enough, I did get a letter in the mail saying I needed to have an EKG and I did and everything was fine, if I didn't attend that appointment the surgery would be cancelled.  The office is still saying I won't have a pre-op.  I'm wondering if I should call the hospital directly and ask them.  I'll be at the Scarborough Hospital, any experience there?  I'm really impressed with the doctor and have complete confidence in him and he is actually my 4 or 5 opinion.  I had one about a month before him and it was suggested that my only problem was in my head and that I should get Synvic injections for the "'pain" I was experiencing.  What surgery did you have?  Can you think of any questions I should ask before my surgery? 

Julie

shadehawk

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 09:59:14 PM »
Julie,

Here is an animation that might help you, once in there click I agree, then Knee, then Osteotomy....

Another place to check out is the 'Rehab Dept' - 'Post-Op Diaries' there are many TTT stories in there.

Good luck,

Shade

support