Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Injury to both knees and one ankle  (Read 2071 times)

Offline BrigadoonDays

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Injury to both knees and one ankle
« on: February 20, 2003, 09:32:55 AM »
      Two evenings ago I was exiting a hotel lobby (about 4-1/2 driving hours from my residence) to get things from my car.  The exit lacked either color striping or reflective tape to indicate a step, and as I stepped forward with my left foot, it  touched only air.  My foot finally touched down about 8" lower than where I'd been standing.  When I tried to regain my balance by bringing my right foot forward, the heel of my right shoe was trapped in the fibers of the carpet.  My momentum carried all of me but my feet forward !!!
    I slammed down onto both knees, only slightly hitting my elbows & hands.  My attention was focused on my twisted right ankle; although my knees hurt, the ankle pain was greatest at the time.  The hotel staff were very helpful, assisting me with the RICE steps (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).  Yesterday I was provided with the use of a cane for necessary movement, and the location I was visiting provided me with a driver to return me home and another to return my driver.
    While the swelling and pain of the ankle are now somewhat reduced, my concern has now shifted to my knees.  Bruising and tenderness are developing - just medial to the center of the left kneecap and lateral to the center of the right kneecap.  The bruising is also developing both above and below both kneecaps.  
    When I called my local GP, his office said he will not be back in the office until Friday morning, and booked me for 9 AM.  I don't want to be a whiner, but I am concerned that waiting too long before getting an evaluation and initiating any necessary treatment may create long-range problems.  I am 62 years old, and weigh more than 200 lbs.  
    Does anyone have expertise or experience to make a recommendation?  Not having thought an ER visit was necessary on Monday evening, I am now uncomfortable waiting another 36 hours.
    Any expertise,  experience, or common-sense advice  will be gratefully reviewed.  BD   :-/
I flex - - -  Until I snap!

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Injury to both knees and one ankle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 09:53:30 AM »
Welcome aboard! I'm relatively new here, but I have found great support and advice.

Since you asked for advice, I'd say go to the ER. Even if you could wait until Friday, why go through the pain until then? You're probably going to have to have xrays anyway, and the hospital might be a faster route to an orthopaedic doctor, than going to a GP and having to be referred.

I broke my foot about three years ago and waited until morning to go to the hospital. Sure enough, it was broken--and I had been trying to tough it out. My family insisted that I go to the ER, when they got a good look at the swelling that came up overnight. If I had waited to get into the doctor's, I would still have had to go for xrays and then have them read. What it all amounted to is that I was in a cast right away.

I truly hope you have sprains and bruises and no breaks, but do find out.

That's my 2 cents!
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 10:20:13 AM »
Welcome BD
I am going to say the sam as lizl, Get yourself to the ER as soon as possible, it is poosible you could ahve done serious damage or it could just be sprainds and brusing but either way you need to find out , get xrays and get some pain releif.
HEre is hopingit is nothing more serious than a sprained ankle and bruised knees.
You didn't say which country you were in?? The other thing you need to do is make sure someknind of incident report is fiiled out with the hotel. I would personally write down, EVERYTHING i can remember about the accident, and I maen everything, from the time, where it happened, front  internal stairs, if there was adequate lighting, waring of the steps, hwere staff were, whoif anyone witnessed this, down to even what you were wearing footwear etc . which way you were going, that your foot got stuck in the carpet, what the condition of the carpet was, what the hotel staff did, ie. first aid, call the paraqmedics, etc that they drived you home and gave you a cane, if they offered to call the paramedicas or a doctors and such. EVERYTHING you can think of and remember about the incident so that you have a record, of the facts, feelings, memories and everything.
Just in case it is something more serious, so that you are not stuck with HUGE medical bigs for something that was negligent on the part of the hotel.
Hope this helps and Good luck with the knees and ankle.
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

SL99

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 02:10:07 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board - although obviosuly I'm sorry you need to be here!

I'm afriad it's going to sound like a broken record, but I too think you should take the ER route. Firstly because you may have doen damage to your knees and ankle that need attention ASAP and secondly because you will probably get to see an OS a lot quicker too. If you wiat until Friday, your GP then has to arrange x-rays, and appointmets etc...but if you go to ER they can do them straight away and will very likely give you some pain releif and or support bandaging plus bring you back to the daily Ortho/Fracture clinic the next day. That's what happens in the UK anyway but I'm not sure where you are from.

Either way I really think you should get your legs checked out as it's better to be safe than sorry. Like lizl I tend to tough it out rather than go straight away and normally end up in deeper trouble by doing so!  ::)

Good luck and I hope it's not too serious for you.

Take care.........Jo
xx

Offline cyndezu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I'm not having fun yet!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 03:46:00 PM »
Hi BD, and OUCH!
Documentation is so important right now, as the previous post's state... pictures, notes and follow up appointments with your doctor and any other's recomended. ER. is good for now but not enough further down the road should there be any legal disputes.
I hope it's nothing serious, good luck,

Cindy
acl allograph, meniscus repair, patella shaving
August 23, 2002

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 03:49:30 PM »
Joining the chorus of voices...

I'm one of those reluctant types, too, when it comes to ER visits, but I agree that you should go.  It can't hurt, in any case, and they may be able to give you some better advice for relieving your discomfort.  My advice would be to go during daytime hours--in my vast ER experience, I've learned that the services are not the best at night (less staff=longer waits and, in a couple of cases, bad decisions for treatment).

In addition, it provides some documentation of your urgent pain as a result of the fall, should you need it for legal reasons down the road.  I'm no sue-happy person, but if this leads to large medical bills, the hotel is certainly liable here.

Good luck, and though it comes under unfortunate circumstances, welcome!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline BrigadoonDays

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 01:25:28 AM »
Thank you very much to those who sent the encouraging messages.  I am in the US, where it is currently just before 6:30 PM, and have a dr. app't. for tomorrow morning.
    I fully agree with all those who stressed the need for laying a paper trail as well as seeking prompt medical attention.  
    I was also responsible for a major meeting today, one that would have been a real pain of a different type to re-schedule.
    I will let you know what my dr. has to say tomorrow.  Besides chiding me for not seeking attention sooner, etc. . .  
    Thanks again!   : )    BD    :)    

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 07:12:47 AM »
Brigadoon,

Report in, please!

We all want to hear that you are bruised and recovering.
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline BrigadoonDays

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 04:52:44 PM »
Hi, All - -
    Saw Dr. yesterday.  Like everyone else, he asked why I hadn't gone to ER immediately.  I guess the only answer is that I'm one of those who always put "duty" ahead of self, forgetting that the first duty IS to self.  
    Anyway, he did send me for X-rays of Rt. ankle and foot, both knees, and left patella.  He wrote a request for a "wet read" and phone call as soon as it was done and said he would call me if a referral to an orthopedist is indicated.  X-ray was quite busy, and indicated that depending upon his Friday afternoon office schedule, he might be gone for the weekend before they could call him.  
    Meanwhile, he  recommended hi-top athletic shoes to stabilize the ankle until I speak with him again.  Which flashed me back to the 1940's, when I complained very bitterly at having to start school wearing what I called "ugly shoes":  they resembled  baby shoes, they came up over the ankle, and they were brown!   :'(
    I'll report  back as soon as I have the results.  Thanks for your concern.   BD    

support