Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My introduction, situation, and questions...  (Read 844 times)

Offline climberjde

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My introduction, situation, and questions...
« on: August 13, 2005, 11:21:53 AM »
Hey all,

My name is Jason E. I'm 25, live in Nevada. I haven't posted, but I am a long time lurker.  My situation is this: Never had any knee problems or issues until i was 23 (two years ago). At that time, i was jogging one day, and after i stopped, i noticed that my left knee was popping and swollen. Went to an OS and he told me i had Chondromalacia possibly caused by bad pronation, and gave me exercizes. I stayed off my left knee for 3 weeks, and it seemed to heal up fine. No popping, no pain, i figured I was well.

So then a year went by, then about 6 months ago, I was helping my father pour concrete in his backyard for about a week straight. On the seventh straight day, i woke up with sore knees and took some ibuprofen and continued the project. The NEXT morning, my knees were both swollen, and painful, popping and cracking. This incident brought out my current situation. I waited for 2 months after my "injury" hoping they would get better on their own, before i went to an orthopedic surgeon. By this time, i couldn't walk without a cane. Both knees popping loudly and painfully each time i bent them. I tried physical therapy for six weeks, but i just got even worse to the point that i couldn't even walk. To the point where i just laid in bed all day for weeks doing isometrics alllll day long....No improvement.

So it was 3 months since symptoms arose, and I had surgery on my left knee. He went in, found one clean inch long vertical crack in the center of the trochlear groove, and did subchondral drilling to seal the crack together. He then cut out some swollen plica, and cleaned up a small meniscal tear he found. He said he saw NO damage to the underside of the patella. And would classify that one vertical crack down the center of the groove as grade II. It has been over a month since the surgery, and i still cannot walk. My other knee is beggining to give out due to the stress of being on crutches. My operated knee still pops loudly and hurts just like my right.

I guess my question is how is it that I can have no problems all my life, totally healthy then all of a sudden, be virtually crippled IN BOTH KNEES at the same time.  My knees both pop at the same point of extension which is painful, and I literally walk around like a very old man. Is this just a typical Chondro flare-up? Can i expect to ever run again? Or walk without pain? Or walk up and downstairs again? My doc told me i should have surgery on my right knee also, when my left is strong enough, and after that, i should be able to become active again. But from what i have researched, that is potentially not the case. I'm currently doing a home PT program. I'm just worried that I'll be a limping cripple for the rest of my life. What can i expect in a year? Five? My knees seem to be getting worse and not healing at all in 6 months. Will I ever walk without a limp? Any insight or feedback will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Jason E
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 11:46:08 AM by climberjde »

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: My situation, and questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 11:38:02 AM »
Jason,

Sorry you're having knee problems.

Have you been back to see the OS?  If not make an appointment ASAP, therapy should not make worse.  If you're uncofortable with the OS, get your records and go get a second or third ot 4th opinion.  You should not be confined to bed with you knees.

Good luck

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: My introduction, situation, and questions...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »
Hey !!

Welcome here !!

Agree with Rozzzie, get more opinions on this before going into more surgeries. Surgery isn't always the best solution.
Try find docs who are good at these issues you have.
Wishing you good luck !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

shadehawk

Re: My introduction, situation, and questions...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:33:47 PM »
Jason,

Sorry about your injuries.  I agree with Rozzzie and Nettan.  I also think you should get another opinion.

Somehow, I do not get the feeling that you are really sure of this surgeon you have.  You must trust your surgeon - if not then it is time to find a good knee surgeon that you can trust.  It is just so hard to go through treatment programs and surgeries - you have to trust your doctor.....

Maybe what you need is physio sessions - you mentioned doing physio at home, but maybe you need ultrasound treatments - that might really help your knee right now.  Your GP can give you a referral for physio (PT).  It is just a thought.....

Hoping you get some answers soon,
Shade

support