Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cartilage transplant  (Read 1378 times)

Offline carl_uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cartilage transplant
« on: August 13, 2005, 12:16:12 AM »
hello my name is carl and im 21 from manchester. I recently had an arthroscopy on my knee and i have been told i need a cartilige transplant as there is VERY minimal cartilige underneath my patela. I was under the impression from what the surgeon said that they will be taking it from other parts of my knee. What i want to know is what is the recovery usualy like following this procedure and i was hoping anyone who has been through the same procedure could let me know how effective it can be. Thank you for taking the time to read this and i hope to read your replies :)

Offline RichE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: cartilage transplant
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 06:56:11 PM »
Check out the 'OATS Procedure Recovery' thread.

Danielle and I have basically been diarising our recovery over the last few months after both having have the OATS procedure.

Good Luck.

Rich
3/99 MCL Repair
9/99 ACL Reconstruction
2/05 Microfracture
5/05 OATS
7/05 Knee Cap Lateral Release

Offline jmcreynolds

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 09:09:58 PM »
RichE,
In one of your posts, you said your defect spot was starting to feel like it did before the OATS.  I thinkg that post was in July sometime.  How does it feel now? 

Joy
Scope 10/04 and debridement of chondral defect,  OATs on 1/05

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 03:30:47 AM »
Hi Carl,

I had the OATS Procedure on the patella on June 10th.  I am 9 weeks post op and doing fine with the exception of the mobility of the knee.  I am full weight bearing and for the most part, pain free.  The knee bothers me every now and then if I have been on it to long.  The pain is usually from being tired as the knee is not at full strength yet.  I can only bend the knee about 55 degrees due to scar tissue forming above the knee.  This is different for each person.  I was told with time this should work itself out as long as I follow a strict PT schedule.  The OS does not seemed too worried about this at the time.  I had three plugs done on the patella and the plugs were taken from different areas in the knee.  I was NWB for about four weeks and PWB for another 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with the surgery.

Scooter

Offline carl_uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 10:54:44 PM »
thank you for the feedback its been a great help in my preparation for surgery. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes  :)