Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Same knee pain after LR?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline bbcygnar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Same knee pain after LR?
« on: August 12, 2005, 05:53:34 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. I had a LR with shaving of my patella on July 13th. I know it
has only been four weeks, but the pain is exactly the same if not worse, when I go up and down the stairs when I bend my
knee our squat.. It is also still grinding. Whatelse can I do? I have had this knee problem for over 2 years now PT
hasn't helped and now my other knee is starting with the same problem..
Now my bad knee is also giving out on me since the surger and I never had that before, well not as bad before..
Any help anyone could give would be great.. Thanks Brooke ???
Scope with LR -  07/13/05 
Scope with Harvesting - 11/30/05
ACI & TTT scheduled - 02/02/06
Married with three beautiful boys!

shadehawk

Re: Same knee pain after LR?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:03:17 PM »
Brooke,

Well that does not sound like good news.  Sorry that you are feeling so bad, but there is no way that you could tell if the LR has failed or helped just yet. 

I just had one + some other stuff on July 29th and I am still immobilized.  You have to give it more time.  I'll be reassessed in three months to see if my surgery was successful, so you should wait a bit longer before getting discouraged.  Have you been going to physio?   Physio exercises will balance your muscles.  You sure get quad wasting after these surgeries.  I actually was having muscle wasting before I even had my surgery.....

It also depends if anything else was done while the OS was inside your knee. 

Hang in there and give it more time. 

Shade

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:03:55 PM »
Hi Brooke,
   I am sorry that you are having knee problems.  Why did your OS perform a lateral release?  Are you still going to PT?  As you said, you are only 4 weeks out from surgery and the shaving may have made that area a little more tender.  Give it a little more time to heal.  Weak quads after surgery could also be contributing to the problem.  By giving out do you mean the knee is buckling on you?  Or is the knee cap subluxing ?  I would also think that 4 weeks is too soon to be squatting, but that is just my opinion.  Good luck and let us know if you have more info or questions.

Patty

Offline bbcygnar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 10:58:58 PM »
Thaks Patty and Shade for your imput. I had the LR because my knee cap was off track and tilted it would grind and pop when ever I bent my knee and I had alot of pain going up and down the stairs or bending it to do anything. I also have arthritis under my patella. I saw my OS today and he said I needed to keep up with PT and that it was to soon to tell if it had failed or not.
What is the difference between buckling and subluxing? All I know is I will be walking and almost fall backwards out of nowhere with no warning, so is that buckling or subluxing? Thanks Brooke
Scope with LR -  07/13/05 
Scope with Harvesting - 11/30/05
ACI & TTT scheduled - 02/02/06
Married with three beautiful boys!

Offline trish85

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 03:25:21 AM »
Hey

Your story sounds so familar.  I went through almost the same thing I had LR's on both of my knees and they didn't work.   All I can really tell you is to tell you that you really have to stick out PT and keep ypur head up.  The LR's ended up not working for me.  Keep up with your excersises and make sure your knee gets enough rest. 

Good Luck,
Trish
R LR 2/02
R TTT/LR 8/02
L LR 1/03
R hardware removal 7/03
L TTT/LR 8/03
L hardware removeal 6/04
L VMO realignment 6/05
L TTT/VMO revision 10/05
R VMO advancement 4/06
L hardware removed 7/06
R VMO recon 9/06
L VMO recon 7/07
L MPFL recon w/ hamstring autograft 3/14/08
EDS type 3

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 05:16:16 AM »
Brooke....My kneecap has been subluxing since Jan. when I twisted it coming down a ladder. In April, I had a debridement (where he cleaned out everything in there, and shaved under my kneecap.) It is now 4 mos later, and I am still subluxing. My PT does not want to do a LR, as he says when it is done alone, as a single procedure, it often fails. He  has me doing extensive PT to strengthen the quad, which has literally become mush. Its all very frustrating, but I just keep doing what Im told and hoping something works. I wish you the best. Give it more time. Work at quad strengthening, and avoid things that irritate it or cause it to sublux. This, I am told, only irritates it and makes it harder to strengthen things to get it back on track. Take care....

DONNA :)
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 06:50:25 AM »
I had a lateral release, medial plication, and bone spur removal (sliver of edge of kneecap shaved) on July 13th also. I have grade three tri compartmental arthritic changes, patella alta, severe chronic subluxation, markedly increased J sign and lots of grinding, poping, knee locking and giving out. Both knees are bad, but the right was the worse.  Surgery was done on the right knee.  I am also a bit over four weeks post op also.  I still  have a fair amount of swelling in my knee.  It is stiff and feels kind of rubbery when I walk. I still have some crepitus, but less then before the surgery.  When I go from flexion to extension, my knee still tracks laterally, but less than before.  I started walking without any crutches about 5 days ago. The incision down my knee and areas that the lateral release and plication were performedare still tender.  Since ditching the crutches, my knee felt like it was going to give out about 6 or 7 times.  Both the physical therapist and doctor said that the giving out could be due to the muscles being weak. Alsi, my knee is now tracking differently as the doctor alligned my kneecap with the little cartldge that is remaining in the pattela femoral joint. My knee also has to get used to the new tracking pattern.  In my case, I had medial plication which affects the area that the VMO attaches to.  From what I understand four weeks is too soon to tell whether or not the surgery was successful. My range is returning. Extension is normal and flexion is up to 135 without really pushing it too much. The focus of PT is massage to prevent scar tissue formation, electiral stim, ice, heat, stretching hamstrings, shin, loosing the IT band, strengthing quads and vmo and normalizing gait. In my case, if I can go on a thirty minute walk without worrying whether or not my knee will give out on me, then the surgery will have been successful.  The doctor is hoping that this surgery will allow my to stall 5-7 years before needing a TKR.

The pain is kind of different now, but all in all worse but that doesnt suprise me considering the fact that I was sliced up four weeks ago.  Things take awhile to heal.  I think that is is way to early to do squats. Pt has my doing straight leg lifts and has graduated me to a one lb weight, stretches, squeezing a ball between my thighs, leg press maciine to develop quads, and a balance machine.  Next week I will start on a bike, but set so my knees don't have to go past the comfort point. At home, steps are the hardest to do.  I have started going one foot in front of the other but I have to hold two banisters when I do that and really focus on making sure, i tighten my quads before stepping down on the bad knee. Bending, squating doing lots of steps are out of the question at this point.  I have come to realize that I may never be able to squat or kneel again, but then agiain it will not be a big deal in the scheme of things.  Good luk, keep us posted. I know how nerve racking it is to have gon through a surgery and not know whether it helped, hurt or did nothing.  My doctor sait that it takes between 6 to 8 weeks to gain 80 percent of your function back and up to a year to get the rest back.  Of course each person is difference  I have some good days when I feel that i am a success story but then have a set back and start to wonder whether the 6 inch scar is worth it. Just plug awayat PT. ask qiestoms.  Remember it is your body.  Boyh the pt and doctor said that you should feel the muscles working to make gains, but you should never experience joint pain or extreme pain.  As soon as I tell the pt that an activity hurts, she asks me to describe the pain and then either modifies the activity or discontinues it depending on the type of pain and degree of pain.  Sorry that I am rambling here. Hopefully some of this long and convoluted rambling will give you some helpful information. Pleae feel free to ask any questions. I promise that my answers are much more to the point durng the day
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

support