Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Medial Pain Syndrome  (Read 1059 times)

Offline evshaw3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Pain Syndrome
« on: August 11, 2005, 04:48:43 AM »
Hi,
  For the last 2-3 years my left knee has slowly incresed in pain on the inner-most medial side of the tibial plataue. The pain is most notable at night when I lay on my side with knees together or with a slight twisting out of my left foot. Also when I sit for any length of time the pain increses. At times when walking and I sudenlly bump somthing with my left foot which twists my foot outward, the pain in my medial area just about knocks me out! My O.S. has rulled it a stress fracture but I am not convincied that a stress fracture can haunt me for this long without healing. This week I am scheduled for a bone scan, which he says will prove that this is a stress fracture. My athletic lifestyle has come to a complete halt over this and I my continued concern over just what is this is melting my spirit, plz help with any post that might resemble my condition in any way
E.S.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Medial Pain Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 07:32:19 AM »
You have had this for long time the pain now and have you have been very careful with that leg you loose musclemass which can make a pain get worse, casue you walk directly on the knee more.
Why haven't the doc performed this bone scan earlier ? Maybe you haven't seen the doc until recently.
Make a topic under "Bone break around the knee", you find it if you scroll down this site.
I'm sure you get better feed back there.
Good luck to you !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:36:10 PM »
Evshaw3,

Hi, good that you will be getting a bone scan, but why did it take so darn long.  If I were you and a very athletic person - after getting the bone scan I'd be also calling around and getting another appointment with another surgeon.

It certainly would not harm anything for you to get another person's view.  I would also be stressing that you have intentions on having an active lifestyle....

Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

Shade

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 02:10:13 PM »
Hi, Sorry you're having so much pain and that you are uncomfortable with your OS's assessment. The bone scan is a good start, but I would get another opinion or 2.   Then you can make an informed decision on your care.  It's your body and you can control the treatments.
Good Luck

Let us know how you do.

Gozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:19:50 PM »
If it's a stress fracture, what does your OS suggest for treatment?  Stress fractures are notoriously difficult to heal, as they tend to occur in weight bearing parts of the body.  If you have a stress fracture, did you spend a period of time NWB 100%?  Ir did you just reduce the impact activities?  It is completely possible for an untreated stress fracture to linger for years.  You are still stressing the area if you're walking on it.

If you're OS never prescribed any treatment, and is just trying to prove that he's right, then yes, you need a new OS.  If he has offered treatment, and you haven't followed the protocol because you disagree with his diagnosis, well, you can't blame him.  So it really depends on what exactly happened.  If the bone scan show no fracture, and your OS doesn't have a new strategy for diagnosing and treating your problem, request a copy of your records on the way out of his office.  Including all film.  It will help you as you go to the next OS.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline evshaw3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 12:08:01 AM »
Hi All,
  Well today was my bone scan, and as I look at it I dont know what Im looking for? My left knee definently looks mad as hell. The brightest areas are the medial plataue, outside lateral area of the knee, and kneecap area? It looks like my pain (bright). Next week Ill see the O.S. again and see what he thinks. He is the second O.S. Ive seen on this, he operated on me in March and removed loose bodies, said he did a slight repair on the medial miniscus, and scraped the inside of pettella area. I have had increasing pain over a 2 yr period since a ski accident that I think might be associated w/ this? He says this bone scan should I.D. a stress fracture, but I dont see it. Anyway he will get the full report from the lab, all I have is the pictures. I Will update next week.
Thanks for the replys
evshaw3

support