Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteoarthritis before meniscus tear  (Read 948 times)

Offline skibum

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteoarthritis before meniscus tear
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:54:12 PM »
I've read many discussions on the board by people who are wondering about OA after torn cartiledge.  Well I have the opposite question.  10 years have passed since my major surgery which went very well.  The leg was fixed and the lateral meniscus repaired.  With OA being strongly hereditary in my case, no surprise that I'm developing it.

Last week my knee was killing me medially and I started on NSAID and my old brace which helped tremendously but not completely.  Went to OS who said arthritis is worse and saw bone chips on the x-ray. Medial meniscus area is very tender.  He ordered MRI.  I see him next week for the results.

I guess my question is.... am I know just in a bad downward spiral toward knee replacement or is there some hope?  PS.... I'm not giving up skiing.

Discuss........ please!  :'(
1994 Tibial Plateau Fracture w/torn lateral meniscus.  Bone Graft and Cartiledge Repair Surgery
2003 - Present Osteoarthritis

Ski Instructor, Scuba Instructor, Sailor (all for fun)

shadehawk

Re: Osteoarthritis before meniscus tear
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:01:02 PM »
Skibum,

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with patellofemoral OA.  I had a bad horse accident approx 9 years ago and the trauma from this might be the cause of my OA.  I was shocked to hear this diagnosis as it was totally unexpected by me, but anyway that is that.....

You should not necessarily have to have a TKR....there is debridement/lavage and osteotomy procedures for OA.  TKR should be the last step....There is also Partial Knee Replacement. 

Osteotomy surgery (if you are a candidate) can give you an addition ten years or more before you would need a TKR....

Ask your OS what options are available to you.

Good luck,

Shade

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »
Hi Skibum,
   I know it is hard to keep your chin up when you are having knee problems, but there is always hope!  Hopefully the MRI will just show some slight roughening of the medial meniscus.  I am glad to hear that your lateral meniscus repair was such a great success.  Did your OS say what he was going to do about the bone chips or where they are coming from?  Are you taking a glucosamine/chondrotin supplement?  It may not hurt to start if you currently aren't.  I just wanted to say not to give up hope and let us know what the MRI shows.  Good luck!

Patty
P.S.  I have had OA since my teenage years, and 30 years later I am still using the original knees!

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »
Hi Skibum, it's important to know that many many people with OA never have to do anything major about their knees. (or hips or other affected joints).  OA is wear and tear, plain and simple.  It happens to some degree to the majority of the population.  Like yours, mine is hereditary, and is confined for the moment to the medial compartments. 

The important question would be why do you have OA medially, is there a malalignment problem, do you have flat feet, is it caused by your previous surgery?...I'm sure your OS would not rush into a knee replacement, partial or total without trying some other options first.  And there are other things which can be done to ease the pain.  It's only when you've tried everything, and your quality of life is affected negatively because of the OA that you would consider such major surgery as KRs.

Good luck!

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline skibum

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 08:21:20 PM »
The knee replacement quote was a bit rhetorical on my part.  Nobody has actually mentioned one.  He didn't say anything yet about the chips.. just that they are there. 

The OA may be somewhat a result of my previous surgery.  When the lateral aspect of my knee was rebuilt a strange thing happened.  I reacted to the screws just like a tree reacts to a spike.  My tibia overgrew the reapair both laterally and medially (where no work was done).  10 months after the repair, they went in and removed the screws.  They also had to shave the Tib Plat back to a normal shape on both sides.

I think I'm tearing up the medial side because that's were torque typically results in damage.  I get a lot of torque all winter long on my skis.  A lot of twisting type moves and of course the wipeouts where I go flying head first down the slope leaving the ski behind.  Not to mention teaching beginners is especially hard on the knees.  The legs rotated slightly inward while traveling at slow speeds.

What I'll do for my sport.
1994 Tibial Plateau Fracture w/torn lateral meniscus.  Bone Graft and Cartiledge Repair Surgery
2003 - Present Osteoarthritis

Ski Instructor, Scuba Instructor, Sailor (all for fun)