Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee catching 4 weeks post op..need help  (Read 779 times)

Offline Matt13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee catching 4 weeks post op..need help
« on: August 10, 2005, 05:21:25 PM »
First all I want to say thank you. I have never posted but I have been reading the boards since my injury on Memorial day of this year and it has helped.  I had a 100% tear of my right ACL while playing volleyball. I was told originally by the OS after MRI and X-rays that I  possibly had a torn lateral and meniscus also.  My surgery was on July 13th, 4 weeks ago. post op I was told it wasnt near as severe, It was only the ACL. It was 100% and the ends had frayed, partly binding in my knee joint. I was also told that at 3 weeks I would most likely start to come off crutches (PT started at 1 week). I also went under 4 weeks of pre therapy, just wanted to note this for later reasons.

So here is my problem... at 4 weeks I am not off crutches or even close. I have been pushing to try and regain, I am doing the exercises PT seems good .However I still cant bear any weight (it buckles, not a pain thing) and I dont think you could get it to go strait if you parked a truck on it.   But on heel slides and other movements my knee continues to have a catch just under my knee cap.
It does this regularly and has almost totally stopped my PT.  My original therapist in pre-surgery ask if i had a meniscal tear, she based her question due to movements and the way my knee reacted. Now after having this catch for over 2 weeks my group of therapists seem to feel that the catch is due to a torn meniscus. There basis is that if I rotate my knee to the outside while doing a heel slide it gets past the catch. I have not returned to the OS about this, i am waiting for an apptmnt.

I am just looking for input and advice. Its very frustrating, I am a fairly active person and work is climbing all over me wanting to know when I will be back. i am even having a hard time working at home because I just cant seem to focus, which again, is very frustrating to me. any feedback is welcomed, thank you.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Knee catching 4 weeks post op..need help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:45:09 PM »
You definitely need to get back to the OS. I don't have any idea what the problem may be, but if your rehab is not going anywhere near the way your OS thought it would, it is time to get back to him. Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.