Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: back of knee when going up steps  (Read 1787 times)

Offline s3marc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
back of knee when going up steps
« on: August 10, 2005, 11:52:48 AM »
Hi All,

My problem is thankfully no where near as serious as many on here, but before I approach my GP I wouldn't mind any comments as to people's thoughts on what might be causing my condition.

I have a pain in the back of my knee approx 1 inch below the crease behind my knee, the pain is only apparent when the leg is bent and is trying to take my full weight , i.e when I walk upstairs and it is my leading leg.  It is quite a sharp pain and feels as though the knee will not take the weight (although it can, if you ignore the pain) , it only appears to be painful at a particular range of my knee being bent , for instance at 90 degrees (sitting against a wall) I feel no pain, and standing fully straight or walking is no pain. The pain is apparent at about the angle that a skier would stand (which is worrying as I would like to going skiing in January , I went last year , but the pain did not start after this. It is quite recent - last 2-3 months)

I have tried not using the angles that cause the pain , so hopefully giving the knee a rest, but it doesnt seem any better. Of course, its pretty difficult resting a knee as we all know.

Hopefully someone has had something similar, I look forward to some pointers

TIA

Marc

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: back of knee when going up steps
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 12:26:07 PM »
Hi Marc ~ When you get the answer to your question will you let me know, please?<g> I've got plenty of diagnosed damage to my right knee but all of a sudden the pains, as you say sometimes quite sharp, are happening behind my knee & to the outside.

I thought perhaps it was my Baker's cyst filling again after the last knee twist but I'm reluctant to see my OS yet again at the moment. I'm still hoping this new pain will let up. Wishing you well..Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Gingergin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 02:12:08 PM »
Hi Marc,

I also feel lucky to not be in as much agony as many people on here, but I think I know you feel.  The back of my knee hurts so bad when I bend it past about 90 degrees that I just can't bend it any further.  It started last December, not a sudden injury, but suddenly a lot of knee pain, inflammation.  A lot of the pain went away but I am left with not being able to bend very much comfortably.  It is worse when it rains, and some days better.  The diagnosis I was given was that the cartilage behind my knee cap is just about all gone, but no real explanation about the pain while (trying to) bending.  It hurts in front at various, intermittent times, but I can't remember the last time I bent all the way it seems so long ago!  After 6 months of PT my range got no better, but I do have much stronge quads to show for it.  I am now trying accupuncture but it is quite costly so I won't be doing it for long.  I would be curious to hear what your diagnosis is.

Good Luck,
Ginger

Offline mingus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 08:58:24 PM »
hi, marc,
     i've had a similar problem with posterolateral knee pain that has eluded helpful diagnosis.  the pain that i experience is most frequently elicited in getting up out of a seated position, its like there's a nail being driven into the back of my knee.  its very fleeting and occurs only at about 100 degrees of flexion, not above or below that.  going up stairs has been a problem at times, and also bike riding causes variably severe pains.
     after a year of symptoms, i had an mri which was interpreted as showing a "repairable lateral meniscus tear", and also a cyst.  so i had a scope 6 months ago but the assorted degenerative and inflammatory changes that were found did not explain nor treat the pain.  nothing was done with the cyst. 
     my current diagnosis is "popliteus tendinopathy" with ? hamstring involvement.  my pt noted that the attachent to my fibula was fibrotic with adhesions and tried instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization without any positive results.  ultimately, he said there was nothing more he could do for me, recommended a second opinion, and dumped me.    lately my symptoms have been less severe, possibly because of the eccentric hamstring exercises that i've been doing at my orthopods advise.  i am a figure skater, and would love to get back to working on multirotational jumps again, but that is where the problem originated...
    i hope your problem doesn't turn out to be as tenacious as mine has - good luck!
                                           elaine

Offline s3marc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Had surgery etc....
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 01:53:56 PM »
Ok , so you can read my symptoms from the top of the thread.

Went to see the surgeon last Wednesday, had MRI scan that afternoon , went back for a consultation on Saturday and had surgery yesterday (Tuesday) - thankfully I am privately insured

I had an arthroscopy , had a few loose particles removed and an examination of my knee, I basically have a soft surface to my lateral tibia plateau and damage to the sulcus where knee cap runs on femur. initially the MRI scan showed that i may have needed a steadman procedure , but luckily it does not seem to have been necessary.

so i have been advised to stop doing any high impact sport such as squash , breaststroke swimming and running and let my knee try to recover over the next few months - hopefully I can go skiing once a year providing no extreme skiing, moguls etc.. stick to leisurely piste gliding.

off to see the physio on monday to get an exercise regime. Surgeon has recommended Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Hopefully this will help some other people with their problems - take my advise though, don't just read about it , go and see an expert and the sooner you see them , hopefully the less damage you may have done. I think if I had left mine it would have become more serious.

Please feel free to respond if you have any comments or questions.

Good luck to you all

Marc  :)