Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help! efushion what is this  (Read 1971 times)

Offline moodeetoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Help! efushion what is this
« on: February 21, 2003, 02:38:02 AM »
My husband fell and kind of like ripped his knee out of socket. There was excruciating pain followed by gross swelling. So far the er took xrays and the tech said he has a bad efusion... bleeding in the knee?? It was bad. He has to see an orth surgeon wed but was wondering does anyone know what this is? Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Thanks,
Terry

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: Help! efushion what is this
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 03:21:56 AM »
I don't know if he has bleeding in the knee, I think they would have done a operation right away to fix that, but effusion sp? is just swelling, water or whatever it is on the knee. They must have told you to keep it elevated above the heart and iced right? I'm not a doctor but if the knee did dislocate I bet some ligament/s were torn. Make him take it easy and let us know what the OS says Wed. Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline moodeetoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 03:26:37 AM »
Thank you! They did tell him that it is bleeding and to keep it elevated with ice. It's just that our Dr's schedule here is so far out he couldn't even get in until next wed which I wasn't happy about.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 04:12:45 PM »
Actually, effusion is swelling inside the joint. Too bad he has to wait so long for the doctor. It seems like this would be more of an emergency situation and he should be seen sooner. I twice had blood drained out of my knee (when I was a young kid). I don't remember it as being too bad, and it really did relieve the pressure of the swelling.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline moodeetoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 04:18:58 PM »
Yea, it is ridiculous that they can't get to him sooner. They did tell us he is bleeding and that his knee is worst case scenario. Whatever that means. We're figuring he will have to have surgery. You all have been really helpful. Thankyou. I will post what the Dr says next week.
Terry

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 09:42:16 PM »
If the swelling after an injury is immediate then that almost certainly means that the effusion is blood. (an effusion is just fluid in the joint and can be either clear form chronic inflammation or bloody from an acute injury- known as a haemarthrosis)

At least 70% of haemarthroses are caused by anterior cruciate ligament tears. However I injured my left knee skiing many years ago and had blood with NO ligament damage so it's not inevitable.
The second time I had a haemarthrosis it was a different matter altogether as I had ruptured both cruciates and ended up with all sorts of surgery.

I don't think it really matters that you are not being seen until next week, there is not much to be done in the first few days other than treat the pain and let some of the acute damage settle. The only problem is - it is often quite hard to exaMINE the joint when there is a lot of swelling and muscle spasm because the tests for ligament instability rely on relaxed muscles and detecting excessive movement of the joint.

An MRI will give more information, an arthroscopy even more but you may be offered neither if the OS is clear what you have done from the examination. Even if surgery was needed many would say it is better to wait a few weeks until the acute swelling and pain has settled in order to get a good outcome in terms of mobility and lack of stiffness.
However I know just how frustrating it can be when you really want to know what you have done and what's in store.
Good luck
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05