Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: URGENT ADVICE... MY GP SAYS SHE CANNOT REFER FOR PRIVATE CONSULTATION -UK!!!  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
Hi All,
I've had a long struggle over the past 12 months, if anyone has followed my post:- follow my ACI start to finish, starts 18/10/04, then you will know.
For those that haven't seen it, to cut a long story short, I have osteoarthritis in both knees at garde 4 level. I've have had 10 operations under 6 anaesthetics in just 4 years. My ACI last year was not a complete success, and I am worse off than I was before! I am extremely low and my GP wanted to put me on anti-depressants for which I declined, and I am waiting to see a psychologist which has a 12 week waiting list.
I am looking for a TKR, and by writting to four consultants in the UK, I have found one in Derby that is willing to see me.
My GP said she was happy to refer me.
I then found out there was a minimal of a 14 week waiting list for a consultation, so I booked for a private consulatation, for 25th August. I am now told that my GP cannot refer me for a private consultation, even though any further treatment/consultations would be on the NHS? So I am being forced to wait at least 14 weeks! Surely that can't be right?
If anyone knows of how to get around this, or if I am being told incorrect information can you get back to me please.
Kindest Regards
Jules.
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Jules,

Sorry you've got such problems.  I don't live in the UK so I can't realy help you; but I can wish you the best and hope you do not have to wait 14 weeks!

GOOD LUCK

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
Thanks any way Rozzie, but I think I'm going to need a miracle to get me through the next 4 months if I have to wait!
Kindest Regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Since you are not privately insured, I cannot see why you need to fulfil the requirement for a GP letter Try ringing the surgeon's secretary if this is an absolute requirement of the surgeon. Some private surgeons do not demand such a letter.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline melody17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
You are being given the wrong advice.  I have seen a consultant privately and then had NHS treatment - not on my knee, but the process should be the same.

Ask you GP to keep the NHS referral for you bit to also ask for a prvate referaal so that you can discuss your options with the surgeon.  You wil then need to talk to the surgeon abotu whether he is willing to add you to the NHS lost without waitng for the NHs referral.

Kneeguru,
In most cases you do need a GP's referral to see a consultant privately.  It would worry me a little if a surgeon or hospital were willing to treat you without a proper referral.  But as I said, you can jump the queue a littlle this way

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
Thank you so much everyone,

PANIC OVER!

My GP had to gain permission from my local authority (PCT) to send me as a referal. Then because I said I was going private for the consultation, she said no she could not refer me, because she thought I was asking the PCT to pay for that as well, which obviously they would say no. So there was a big mix up in communication as always, but I said that I was paying for the initial consultation, just so I could see him quicker, and then it was YES to go a head with it.
Its such a lot of red tape, but I'm releived now that I can still go in two weeks time. And hopefully get what ever treatment on the NHS still.
The only other red tape thats a problem is that the local hospital will not let me take my xrays down to see the Consultant, they said he must request them himself, and as the initial consultation is private, they may charge for it. But I can't see them getting them down there in time for my appointment any way!
These people sure don't make it easy for us do they!!

Thank you again all.
Jules.
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
I'm glad you sorted out the misunderstanding, I'm doing the same thing (private consultation) and I got a referral from my doctor on Monday so I can keep an appointment next week. Good luck.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
Good luck to you too Charliemouse, it would be good to hear how you get on, as my appointment is not untill 25th August.
Regards
Jules.
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR