Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS--How many times??  (Read 1565 times)

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS--How many times??
« on: August 09, 2005, 02:32:24 PM »
I had a tibial osteotomy and OATS procedure done on my left knee in January.  The recovery to where I could walk and feel "normal" took 6 months.  In June I felt stronger and my range of motion was pretty good.  I started to get back to normal.  Now I'm having problems again--pain, and instability.  My OS wants to do surgery again to see what is going on and suspects the OATS may be the problem.  I've been reading the posts here today and seeing that people have had surgery several times for this.  I didn't realize this.  Should I expect multiple surgeries?  How often?  I'm very frustrated.  I did this to hopefully hold off a knee replacement for 7-10 years but I didn't know I was getting into multiple surgeries!

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: OATS--How many times??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:08:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble again!! Not everyone has multiple surgeries. There are a few of though that are difficult cases and have had to have a few surgeries. I have had 3 OATS proceedures.

The first was a synthetic material that just wouldnt adhear and had to be removed so I had a traditional autograft OATS on the medial side and allograft(cadaver) OATS on the lateral side. My Lateral side is doing awsome. The medial side still giving me trouble but I am allowing time to fully heal.

Did you have tests that your OS suspects that your OATS is the problem?? Some OS say that OATS dont fully heal for 12 to 18 months so hopefully yours is doing well and just not fully healed yet!! I will have my fingers crossed for you and let us know your progress.

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 02:02:27 PM »
My Os didn't do any tests.  He just went on my description of the pain and instability.  He said I'll know more when I can "open the hood and look around".  He also wants to take the staples out from the tibial osteotomy.  I guess I don't have a choice and I'll have to do it.  It is reassuring to know that many people have the procedure multiple times.  I had assumed, incorrectly, that once would do it.

Offline jmcreynolds

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 08:34:04 PM »
Doleriggs,
Would you mind letting us know the location of your OATS (weight-bearing portion or not) and the size?  Also, what type of pain were you experiencing up until June and is the pain you are experiencing now just like the 'up-until-June' pain? 
Scope 10/04 and debridement of chondral defect,  OATs on 1/05

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
It is on the inner side of my knee.  I'm not sure the size.  I can't remember and I can't find it listed in any of my paper work.  The pain is different than before.  It is a sharp pain when the knee buckles.  I feel it up my leg and sometimes it is almost like a "shiver" through my body.  It was a weight bearing surface but with the tibial osteotomy the weight bearing surface has changed slightly.