Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: new and not sure where to post  (Read 833 times)

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new and not sure where to post
« on: August 09, 2005, 02:18:44 PM »
I am new to this site and I wasn't sure where to begin so I'm starting here.  I am 41 years old.  I live in the US.  I've had knee trouble for quite awhile.  3 years ago I had a scope done.  It didn't help much.  More surgery was reccommended but I didn't want to do it at the time.  I waited until I was at a point where my knee was very unstable.  It was buckling often and climbing stairs was very difficult.  In January I had a tibial osteotomy and an OATS procedure on my left knee.  The recovery was slow and it was not a fun process.  I thought I was doing better.  In June I felt as if I was finally getting back to a somewhat normal routine.  My range of motion was much better and I felt stronger.  I started to get back to my normal routines.  Now it is starting to give out again.  My surgeon took x-rays and the osteotomy looks fine.  The bone is doing great.  He thinks it may be fragments "floating around" or the bone graft "didn't take".  He said the only option is to "look under the hood" and see what is going on.  I don't really want to do another surgery so soon.  I'm very frustrated!!!  I was told that a knee replacement would help but with my age they were hoping the surgery in June would buy me 7-10 years.  I haven't even had 7 months!  Does anyone have any advice or thoughts to help me with this!

Kathy

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
Re: new and not sure where to post
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:21:50 PM »
I know it's frustrating when you're new here and no one answers, so I'll give my two cents even though I've never had those procedures.   ;D
I believe that you can never have too many second opinoins. Maybe you should look into another OS and see what they think is going on. Have you been going to PT during this? Maybe a new PT would have different ideas on how to strengthen the joint. What I'm saying is, if you strongly feel that you don't want more surgery- ask around and see if it is the only option.
I hope that helps out. Good luck to you!
~Dubs

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: new and not sure where to post
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 07:21:02 PM »
Kathy,

Have yu checked down under the Arthritis   ther is a section on Cartilage plug transfer?  You should find a lot of information and folks more knowledgable than I to answer your question. 

I have not had anything like the procedures you've had but from what I've read sometimes after OATS you need to have some overgroth cleaned up and possibily foreigh bodies removed.

If you're concerned get a second or third opinion.  Then you will know if you're getting the care you deserve>

GOOD LUCK

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support