Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sudden sore knee from road cycling  (Read 894 times)

Offline niklas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sudden sore knee from road cycling
« on: August 09, 2005, 03:12:01 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light or suggest some recovery tips for me.  Two weeks ago I was on a training ride and was racing friends up hills in a high gear, standing on pedals various times over a 100k ride then I noticed a slight burning feeling in my left knee on the outside at the rear I think at the same height as the top of the knee cap maybe slightly lower.  The burning continued to get worse whilst pedalling until I had to limp the last 20k's home pedalling mostly with my right leg.  I didnt cycle again for a week but I did run 2 x 12km that week with no pain apart from maybe a slight clicking/popping for the first 200meters or so.  When I tried to cycle again a week later the pain started in the same way after 10k's a slow burning that got worse until I had to limp home again not completeing 20k's.  So no running the next week but still when I cycled a week later the pain came on again maybe not as bad but still trying to put pressure few the pedals when it sets in is painful.  I have been icing the area and strecthing various leg muscles but im at a loss as to what it is or how to fix it. Im away from home and cant really afford to see anyone about it so can anyone advise me what it is and how long I should rest up for? I wanted to race a half ironman in oct but not sure now that I cant train.  It doesnt hurt when walking. 

Thanks

Nick

Offline ClimbingGirl

• Regular Poster
Re: Sudden sore knee from road cycling
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 10:55:39 AM »
May be iliotibial band syndrome - I know cyclists suffer regularly from it & the area of pain sounds about right. Check out:
http://www.csuchico.edu/phed/atc/Projects/ITband/ITBFS.html.
A visit to the doc should be able to diagnose this to enable you to get the appropriate treatment for it though.
Climbing Girl
Several L kneecap subluxations
R kneecap dislocation '00
Diagnostic scope Jan '06
R MPFL reconstruction & lateral release Mar '06
L MPFL reconstruction Dec '07

Offline niklas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Sudden sore knee from road cycling
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:13:42 AM »
Thank you very much climbing girl that sounds about right - I think a may go and see a physio here in oz as I have no doctor.  But the symptons and pain area seem right and I have been running and riding lots on a new bike too so maybe a few weeks off with ice and i'll be ok, I hope!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link