Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Motorcycle driving post ACL surgery  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Singe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Motorcycle driving post ACL surgery
« on: August 09, 2005, 12:43:26 AM »
Hello~
I was wondering if anyone here has had ACL surgery and is a motorcycle driver ?  If you are,  how long was the recovery time before you could feel safe holding the motocycle up with stability and did you have any problems?...  Thanks  :)
Torn left ACL 4/2005
ACLR (hamstring) 7/2005
Re-Injured-2nd ACLR(Allograft) 11/2006

Offline Durden

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • G land
Re: Motorcycle driving post ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 08:26:26 AM »
i ride a motorcycle (a big 1200cc rocket).  im not sure if they have you non weight bearing for just an acl (i tore the lcl, mcl, meniscus, pcl/acl) surgery, but for me, it was about 3 months until i felt comfortable walking, etc.  i have tried sitting and leaning my buddies bike slightly with my bad knee, and it hurts a little bit, but i am able to do it.  im pretty sure you will have a recovery time in no way as long as i did, so hopefully you'll be able to get back on your bike before the season ends.  ...it never ends in hawaii though ^_^
"Sadness and nostalgia for an idealized and nonexistant past."

Offline Singe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Motorcycle driving post ACL surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 08:36:38 PM »
Durden-

Thanks for the reply...

Well, ..i WAS in the process of getting ready to take lessons. My husbands a biker and my intention was to take the proper lessons and get my own....iv'e got the bug :)
But now iv'e injured my leg and i am about 2 weeks post op . I am walking on it and am starting PT this week. I don't know if i could ever trust myself to hold a bike up now. (my knee was giving out many times before the surgery)...( i actually tore the ACL while swinging my leg over the back of my husbands motorcycle, fell straight to the ground...what luck huh? ::)  )
I know the recovery takes time but i hadn't seen anything posted on this subject and was curious of the recovery time.

Like you,...Riding is year round here too....i'm in Florida  ;D
Torn left ACL 4/2005
ACLR (hamstring) 7/2005
Re-Injured-2nd ACLR(Allograft) 11/2006

support