Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bone Scan  (Read 1051 times)

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
Bone Scan
« on: August 08, 2005, 03:41:47 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place to post this.
I went to an OS on Sat (yay- took me a long time to go through this again). I brought my xrays from 2 years ago with me. Now I don't know the medical words, so bear with me. On my left leg, on my thigh bone close to the knee joint, there is kindof a bump. It looks like the bone has a bunch of bubbles or sacs in it. So he said he wants to get a bone scan to get a good look. He thinks it's just a cyst, I think that's what he called it. I'm just terrified about what else it could be. He also is sending me through PT again. That'll be fun. And perscribed some anti-inflamitories and gave me a knee sleave. Donjoy, this one is actually one of the more comfortable ones I've ever worn.
That's all. Just a little freaked about this bone scan... And wanted to rejoice that I'm starting to do something about the knee again.
- Dubs

Offline paxgeek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Bone Scan
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »
I was a Nuclear Medicine Tech so I can help you with the bone scan question. Like many patients, sounds like you're more scared of what it might find than the actual scan, a natural fear.

They'll inject a small amount of a radioisotope in your arm, give it time for your bones to uptake it then lay you on the table under the scanner.

Things like fractures show up 'hot' on the image meaning the bones are actively generating osteblasts, baby bone cells. These baby bone cells take up the radioisotope and produce the hot spots.

Things like cysts do not activate the osteoblastic activity, meaning cysts show up as cold spots.

Other than the injection, the test is painless. The scan is so relaxing, many patients fall asleep during the scan.

The imagination can, and does, terrify. I encourage you to complete the diagnostic process to ease your mind. Knowing what it is is much better than imagining what it might be.  Bone cysts are benign - thats medical for no problemo.

Hope this helps -

Leslie

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 04:14:28 PM »
That does help- thank you. And I am more worried of them finding something worse. The shot & scan don't bother me at all. Bad news is the only scary part.
If I could ask you one more thing- would a bone scan show anything that an MRI wouldn't? Because I already had the MRI. Do they look for the same thing, or would the bone scan still be a good idea?
Thank you for the reassurance!
~Dubs

Offline paxgeek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 08:21:03 PM »
The difference is the Nuc Med bone scan reveals the metabolic (cells building up, breaking down) activity of the bone cells vs an MRI, CT and x-ray can be performed of even cadaveric tissue. 

The doc has the last word. If he still wants you to have it, then go. If there was something scary wrong, the MRI would have shown it.  What did the MRI reveal?

Leslie

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 10:54:14 PM »
They told me the MRI was clear- nothing on it. That's why I was wondering if the scan was necessary. I think I will call the OS back before I make the appointment and ask what they think.

Thanks again!
~Dubs