Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please help me. Possible torn meniscus-inability to bend knee.  (Read 1931 times)

Offline IChiu02

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

Been really concerned with my first real injury, and am hoping you guys can help me out.

I was playing volleyball when I went up to hit a tight set...and I may have had some contact with the blocker on the other side (can't really remember, it happened so fast), I felt my knee crack or pop 2x and then I was on the court, in severe pain.  My teammates thought I torn a ligament, but after seeing the Dr. we think it's a torn meniscus.  I think they thought it was the ACL because I was in so much pain, but I think I might have dislocated the knee also, because later that night, I heard another pop and my knee felt a lot lighter and not in so much pain, also a little bit more movement.  I have not had an MRI yet, but things seem to be healing around the left knee.  My muscles are strengthening up, but I have one real big problem.  It's been 3 weeks, and I can't extend my leg completely or bend it much at all.  I'm limping about still.  There's been a few times when I'm limping/walking and all of a sudden my knee gives...(I'm thinking my joints are locked?  although I don't know too much about what it is...)  And when I accidentally bend my knee when sitting or when it "gives,"  there's no popping, but it hurts, ALOT.  Just yesterday, that happened, and I literally fell to the floor, holding my knee, in pain....even cried a little. 

That's my situation...I will be greatful to receive any feedback. 

shadehawk

Re: Please help me. Possible torn meniscus-inability to bend knee.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 10:43:36 PM »
Hi,

If you are still having so many knee problems than I think that you should call the OS office again and let them know that you are having so many problems still.

Are you icing, elevating and taking meds for the pain?  This really helps knee problems alot.

Other than that, I think you will just have to wait to see what treatment your surgeon suggests....

Shade

Offline IChiu02

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 10:50:42 PM »
When I went to see the Dr. he just told me to come back in a few weeks...kind of to wait it out and see how I heal....  I ice it, but since the swellings gone, I haven't done it much.  I elevate it when I go to bed.  Should I still take antiinflammatory even if the physical appearance of my knee looks normal again?

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:20:54 AM »
it definetely sounds like you need to see your doctor again! its pretty obvious that there is still somthing wrong......also get an MRI asap it will tell you exactly whats wrong so theres no more guessing games

good luck
amanda

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 06:33:28 AM »
I agree that you should go see another OS. Because it sounds like something's wrong. MRI's aren't 100% though. Alot of times they miss meniscus tears and it depends on how skilled the person is that is reading it. Keeo icing. I was insturcted to keep taking the antiinflamatory meds even though my knee wasn't swollen anymore, but it may depend on your OS.

Good luck,

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline paxgeek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 07:33:07 PM »
Hello to all...new here. Can't stay long. Had surgery a week ago and have worked up to sitting for 1/2 hour.

I had same problem - locked knee. An MRI showed  I had a bucket handle tear of the meniscus, :o. Almost poetic name...I would've named it Sautered (sp?) joint impaled with branding iron. Unlike you, I couldn't bear weight. The torn section folded back on itself and filled the joint space; hence, the lock up. Emergency room stuck my leg in an immobilizer and I nearly came off the table. Had surgery three days after diagnosis.

I'll find out tomorrow when stitches removed how much meniscus is left.

If you feel a burning pain with the locking, I'd suspect your meniscus is in the joint space, too.  Insist on an MRI.

Good luck!

Leslie

Offline vgabriel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 07:54:15 PM »
I'm no Dr, however my experience is very close to yours...
while playing Volleyball I injured my knee, did not feel any major pain just discomfortness.
morning after could not walk... called my GP and she gave me Anti's.. worked well until I stoped after 10 days.

went and see my OS, the MRI revealed a torn Meniscus and MCL.. WOW! all that damage.. went for a second opinion and
Yep! my OS was right...

it's now 7 weeks since my operation and feeling great... started walking, light jogging etc...

will start volleyball in Sept...injuries come with sports, and the older you get the more injuries you will receive...

all the best Vince

Offline IChiu02

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 04:03:03 AM »
Thank you so much for all the feedback you guys.  Yeah, I should be getting my MRI soon.  From all the reading I've done online, I feel like it is something blocking the knee, preventing me from bending.  I will take the advice, and keep icing it and I'll start on ibuprofen again.  Thanks again!

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 07:09:50 PM »
MMMmmm that sounds familiar. I have the same fixed flexion problem and am seeing a consultant next week (got a private appointment after seeing the waiting times for NHS...117 days) after 2 months of no improvement. I have been to physio who is pretty sure it's a meniscal tear and that PT isn't going to work so I'm hoping to get surgery in the next few weeks to sort it out.
Good luck
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!