Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: trouble sleeping  (Read 1954 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
trouble sleeping
« on: August 07, 2005, 06:42:20 PM »
I dont know if this effects anyone else but I have ound since about June I have had a horrible time sleep with my knees. They ache like no other at night..which I assume is from the beatings they take all day long and are complainig about it. I have Pennsaid which I put on before bed, and it helps some. I find lseeping on my stomach puts too much pressure on my kneecaps and that hurts. Does anyone else have troubles getting to sleep and staying asleep? I go to bed around 9, 9:30 and don't even get sleepy until usually 12:30-1:00. Needless to say Im tired and drained. How can I help this?
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: trouble sleeping
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 06:51:37 PM »
Krista, are you sleeping long in mornings ? /NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 09:25:57 PM »
nettan,
im actually quite the morning person and all my life I have woken up pretty early...around 6:30-7ish...no matter how hard I try to go back to sleep I just can't..im too pumped up to start m day :P
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 11:14:22 PM »
Krista...try some easy stretching before bed and when trying to sleep, see if you can use some pillows in various ways to give comfort to your knees.  I can only sleep on my side and I put a pillow between my legs...seems to help a lot.  Maybe a warm bath too, before bed to loosen and relax the muscles.  If there is no swelling, try a hot water bottle.

I still wake up many times during the night and my knees are as good as they are going to get.  The problem is when you are in one position too long, they yell at you.

BTW...I think you are the first 15 yr old I know of who gets up EARLY!!   ;D

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline a2n

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 12:25:02 AM »
Hi Krista
I too have trouble at night, both due to discomfort, and my mind just won't quit thinking about my injury.
Here are some things that help me....  Do you like to read ?   If I read for a while when I go to bed, it seems to get my mind onto something neutral.
I too like to sleep on my stomach, and have devised a foam pad with a space for my knee, which allows me to do that.
I have a whole variety of pillows for propping.... when sleeping on my side, one goes between my knees, and one to put my arm around.
There are some relaxing herbal teas out there too, and they do work.  There's one called "Sleepy-time" 
Good luck and sweet dreams!
Ann
age 53
fall from ladder on July 11, 2005
2 fractures tibial plateau, non-displaced
damaged meniscus
torn acl
acl reconstruction surgery /allograft Sep. 12, 2005

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 03:48:00 AM »
I used to sleep on my stomach when I was a kid till I developed bad back problems. About 10 years ago my Chiropractor told me to put a pillow between my legs when I sleep on my side and under my knees when I sleep on my back. That made all the difference in the world for my back problems and also after my knee surgery it helped too.
Try various thicknesses of pillows till you find the one that works.
I have other pains that wake me constantly through the night in my neck and shoulders. So I have to move from side to side to back to alleviate those pains. But the pillow seems to be a part of me now and rolls with me when I roll.
I haven't slept more than 5 or 6 hours in a night for decades.
As a kid my Mom said I hit the floor running in the morning. On my bike at 5 am when the summer sun was up.
 Living in the rural areas as a kid had it's advantages in the 1960s and 70s.
Hope you all find the solution to your sleep problems! Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 11:06:39 AM »
Hi Krista ~ My normal sleep pattern is 3 hours at a time max & I, too, am an early riser. It's just 6 AM now & I've already been up an hour. Immediately after my knee injury in April I, too, had an awful time sleeping & spent more time tossing & turning rather than sleeping. Limped around all day like a zombie.

I did resort to the pillow between my knees & that helped. I also planned on taking the last anti-inflammatories just before lights out & probably most comforting was a good icing of the knee before going to bed.

I make my icepacks with 2/3 cup 91% isopropyl alcohol added to 2 cups water. I put the mix in quart sized freezer bags & two of them seem to work more effectively for me & stay cold longer than chopped ice in a bag. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 01:50:40 PM »
Krista,

I too can relate to not sleeping well. It has been over a year for me that my knees wake me up. I usually get about 2 hrs then they wake me up. I sure hope someone can give us relief soon like a magic pill or something LOL  ;D

Anyway hope you get some relief soon

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

shadehawk

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 01:57:56 PM »

Krista,

Oh you have received some good ideas.  I like the warm bath and hot water bottles for myself as well as listening to my favourite cd's on the cd player....It sure relaxes a person. 

Hope that this new doctor you will be seeing soon has some answers for you.  I am no doctor, but think a scope would certainly be warranted to see firsthand what is causing all this pain.

Know your dillema - you are an early riser like me - it does not matter when you go to bed - you still wake up early.  Hope you find a solution that will work for you.

Good luck,
Shade
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 02:03:17 PM by Shade »

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 04:56:15 AM »
Smiley-

I've been a stomach sleeper all my life.  Try one of the small pillows with microbeads in the pillow.  they are real squishy and you can position them and flatten as much as you like.  I can't fall asleep without mine under my knee.  Plus, my knee is still numb from my surgery and it really, really bothers me to have my knee on my sheets, but with the pillow I don't notice the numbness.  Strange, but it works.  Kat
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 02:14:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies!
I do sleep with a pillow between my knees to relieve some of the stress on them but Im a really restless sleep and usually end up kicking it outta bed. Ellie..thanks for that little recipe of the ice packs..ill def. try it! I will also try the reading and bath and stretching hpefully that will help a bit. Like Ann said, once I wake up I usuall can't fall back alseep because Im caught thinking about my injury and the upcoming appt. and yadda yadda. Thanks so much!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 08:34:55 PM »
Hey Krista,

I have trouble sleeping too...especially since my surgeries. I can't get comfortable and my legs ache. I have pain medicine, but it doesn't seem to help much for sleeping or the aching. I'm thinking of trying Tylenol PM tonight....maybe you'd want to try it. Hope you start sleeping better and your next OS appointment goes real well!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR