Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: bad knees  (Read 1081 times)

Offline joanpec

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
bad knees
« on: August 05, 2005, 05:47:40 PM »
I wonder if anyone has a similar story. I am 3 months post op from torn cartilage repair, left knee. Two weeks after surgery called os and told him something didn't feel right. He told me to wait for 1 month post op check, to allow swelling to go down. At that visit I continued to tell him something was still wrong. Os asked me to wait another 3 weeks for portal swelling to go down. Back again, still in pain, now we try anti-inflamatories. Guess what, didn't work. Back to the os again. This time I get a cortisone injection, and am told, Oh by the way, during your surgery I did notice you have grade 3 chondromalacia. Okay, 3 weeks later cortisone shot did nothing, now laets try pt. Now I am getting truly tired of being in pain, and knee has sublaxated twice. Went to pt and was told I have great muscle tone, and flexibility, but my knee cap seems to be maltracking badly. I am not thrilled about having another surgery, but am willing if it can help the pain, the popping, grinding,sublaxating, and can get me back on track. Anyone have any advice, or been in a same situation. Really getting worse as os and I play this lets try something else game. 

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: bad knees
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 03:28:06 PM »
Why not go and get a second opinion on this knee ? It's the first thing I'm thinking of if you don't know where to go from here. Is this OS good at these issues I mean Chondromalacia ? Where do you have this grade 3 ?
You need to have a plan for your future, if you need more treatment or not.
Talk with your OS and say you want to know how this will affect on you and what options you have.
If you're not satisfied, don't hesitate get a second opinion or even third.
Good luck !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline joanpec

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 08:57:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I have a second opinion scheduled. But feal such guilt about it. I don't want to offend my os. I realize he would not be bothered, but  I still feel like I'm questioning his abilities. I am hoping with this second opinion I do at least feel like someone is listening and believing that I am in tremendous pain all day. It is kind of like someone is stabbing my knee with a shard of glass. and the popping with every step is getting progressively worse. Just frustrated I guess. Sometimes I feel like my present os is just placating me, and not helping me.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 09:05:57 PM »
Don't feel any guilt over your second opinion. Docs come and go, but your health is most important.
You need your knees to function, remember that.
I hope this doc will give you good answers why your knee is like this. A maltracking knee gives damages like torn cartilage therefor it's important to see if this can helped somehow. There are different options from surgery, to brace and tapeing and of course pt to try make the patella track more propertly by making better balance in the muscles.
Good luck and please keep us updated.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 11:38:15 PM »
joanpec,

Don't feel guilty. Getting a 2nd opinion shows that you interested in getting the best care possible and that you have a clue about what is going on. I felt guilty about getting more opinions after 1 OS suggested surgery. It ended up being the best thing I could have done. I found my current OS who is amazing and the best OS for me.

Best of luck to you!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

support