Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Tendonitis and Pool Exercises  (Read 1677 times)

Offline axnyda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Tendonitis and Pool Exercises
« on: August 04, 2005, 02:48:55 PM »
Hey Guys

I just had a couple of questions that I was really hoping someone out there could help me with.  I had reconstructive ACL surgery about 2 years ago, and most of my post- op conditions have being going fine.  However occasionally when I play soccer on a hard surface, my knee really swells up, and I get some form of knee tendonitis.  I have decided to take about 2 weeks off to give my knee some rest, and want to hit the pool.  I was just wondering if swimming with fins on is bad for the knee joint, and if I should stray away from doing this.  I really want to maintain the muscles in my legs, and was hoping that swimming with fins on would help this.  If fins are ok, would it be better to pick small fins or large fins?  Also, I heard running in the pool is a very beneficial form of exercise, but unfortunately the pool I have access too is not that deep (about chest level), and I was wondering if running while my feet touch the bottom would be bad for my knee?  If any one out there has any advice or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance, and good luck with all your realted injuries.

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Knee Tendonitis and Pool Exercises
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »
I would say swimming with flippers on is not a good idea but probably without them on it fine. Last summer I did all my PT excersies in the water and I found it really really helped because you also have the resistance of the water to work against, and the water helps create a really smooth ROM
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee Tendonitis and Pool Exercises
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 07:28:47 PM »
Lots of people walk or run laps in the pool.  With their feet touching.  As long as the water hits mid-chest, the water will carry a lot of the weight, reducing the impact on the knee.  The water will also add resistence, and you may be surprised and find it harder than you think.  Tendonitis, though, tends to be connected to overuse.  Water workouts reduce the impact to the joint, but you're not actually resting the joint if you continue to use it to workout.  You may want to consider that as you adjust your workouts.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)