Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee guru help post MRI after LR,OA clean up  (Read 1247 times)

Offline tamter

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee guru help post MRI after LR,OA clean up
« on: August 04, 2005, 02:07:33 AM »
I had LR,  Chrondamalcia bone to bone contact so OS cleaned that up developed leaking portal of synovial fistula for six week.  And then developed huge effusion with cellulitis this is what the report after all that says please if anyone can give me some more laymans terms on this it would greatly be appriciated...
1. Essentially, a complete tear of the lateral patellar ligament with torn edges retracted by 3.0cm.  Intra-articular fluid is held by a thin membrane only.  Remainder of the lateral collateral ligament is intact.
2. A horizontal posteromedial meniscus linear tear that tntersects inferior and capsule meniscus surfaces.
3. An 3 cm area of bone edema involves the central later femur condyle.  No linear or depressed fracture associated.
4.  Moderate volume effusion estimated at 10-12 cc not associated iwth Baker's or popliteal cyst.
5.  Prominent bulge of right intra-articular effusion due to tearing of the right patella collateral ligamnent and retraciton oby 3 cm better visualized on standard axial MR sequence images.
6.  Bilateral mild degree patella lateral subluxation of approx.  1.5 cm Such Bilaterally partially corrects with flexion.

All that happened with my first OS after him saying nothing was wrong I got a 2nd opinion and he said nothing about any tears of the ligaments or meniscus.  He said that he just went in and cleaned out scar tissue and flushed out the synovial cyst.  Which he told me was caused by a bone spur.  But after receiving this narrative today and reviewing my records this MRI shows the effusion caused by the patella collateral ligament tear.  Is this the ligament they cut and release during the LR?  I have had ongoing issues from my knees to my back now my SI joint and hip.  I am just trying to figure all this out and at my wits end :'(
Please can someone help me shed some light on this whole situation.....Thanks

Offline tamter

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Knee guru help post MRI after LR,OA clean up
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 02:11:29 AM »
Sorry forgot to add one thing my first MRI I had done in 10/04 showed nothing wrong with meniscus or any ligaments that was all normal the post MRI I had done was in 01/05.  And I had no other injuries for christ sakes my knee was locked straight for 6 weeks because of the fistula.... Please help frustrated as can be  :'(

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »
Hi Tamtater, Im very sorry to hear about your knee..I have an appt to diagnose my knee problem next Tuesday with an O.S.  I'm curious, how did you injure your knee?

Steve

Offline tamter

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 05:02:04 PM »
Thanks Desmoface, I did not injure my knee that is just it.  I did nothing to tear the meniscus or tear the ligament, I just had the first surgery because of OA, chrondamalacia and for patella tilt.  The other stuff happened from the first surgery best I can tell because the MRI done before the first surgery did not show any of that.  And I know that my knee hurt alot more after the 1st surgery kept telling my 1st OS that but he wouldn't do anything that is why I got my second opinion and he repeated the MRI and below is what the MRI showed.  So to be honest I don't know what happened I know I did not injure it because the leg was locked straight in a immoblizer for 6 weeks due to the synovial fistula.  So I can't help but wonder if the damage was done in the 1st surgery and that is why it hurt so bad afterwards who knows I would just like some answers.  Good luck on your appt.  be sure to write down questions and get them answered and be sure you understand everything.  And if you have a MRI make sure you see and have a copy of the narrative... Good luck and thanks.

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 06:21:11 PM »
Wow, thats a horrible thought that your first surgeon actually damaged your knee he was supposed to fix.  That's what scares me, my dr telling me that he wants to scope the knee and afterwards I have more pain/problems than now.  Good luck and thanks for the reply.

Steve

Offline tamter

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 02:25:30 AM »
Desmoface, I think what happened to me can be complications from the surgery unfortunately.  And I know what has happened to me is uncommon so I wouldn't worry I had the same procedure done about 9 years ago and everything was fine.  Just make sure you fell comfortable with your doctor and ask questions..
Tammy