Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: surgery date  (Read 1184 times)

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • They sed this wouldnt last, well there wrong!!!!!!
surgery date
« on: August 02, 2005, 03:45:19 PM »
iam getting arthroscopic surgery on august 18 and i was wondering what i do should do,any advice or anything i would love. my os said something about shaving me bands and doing something else, but i not iam not sure.iam scared,has anyone gone through this and could help me. he wanted to do a lateral release, but cant because of my knee disolacted to the inside, i really need your help ??? ::) ;D >:( :o :'( :-\ :)

-can anybody help me

-heather frum mass
*25 years old
* right scope aug 16-plica removal-sheet
* left scope dec 18-lateral release and plica removal,partial synovectomy,and debridement
 2 cortisone shots
*left scope sept 13-ttt,and lateral release,well see what else? And placed 2 screws

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
Re: surgery date
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 07:16:24 PM »
could someone help please

-heather frum mass
*25 years old
* left scope dec 18-lateral release and plica removal,partial synovectomy,and debridement
 2 cortisone shots
*left scope sept 13-ttt,and lateral release,well see what else? And placed 2 screws

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 09:22:27 PM »
Heather,

I haven't really don't know what you're going to be having done, but whatever if ya need to know anything else let me know. Sorry I can't help you with the band shaving and LR. Just IM me

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 10:00:03 PM »
Heather-

Not sure about the specidfics of your surgery, but some basic tips:

1) ask your OS about an ice machine - polar ice or something similar.  They keep your knee cool, and you can keep them on all day.  If you can't get one of these, buy frozen peas or corn.  They're cheap, you can use them over and over and over again.  (Just don't eat them).  And they mold to fit your knee well, regardless of how it's wrapped up after surgery.

2)Set yourself up for a few days worth of tv, movies, books, etc.  You may be on crutches after surgery, so think about where you want to be.  In you bedroom?  The family room?  Is there a bathroom on the same level of the house?

3) who will be home to help you out/take care of you?  Make sure you won't be alone for the first day or so.  After that you'll probably be able to handle the basics.  Get out your backpack for hauling stuff if you're alone and on crutches.  Botlled drinks, snacks, etc. travel just fine in a backpack.

4) stock up on simple foods and comfort foods.  Some people get an upset stomach from the anesthesia, or from the pain killers.  Make sure you have some basics like applesauce, or whatever makes you feel better.  Also get some favorite snacks for munching in front of the tv.  If your friends will be coming over to keep you company, keep that in mind when you shop.

5) Don't stress about it between now and then.  All you'll do is make yourself nuts, and that does nothing positive for your knee.  You've made the decision, you trust your doctor, your family is  supportive.  You may want to take care of school shopping before surgery, but that's about it.

6) Be prepared to work hard at rehab.  If your doctor doesn't tell you when you should start rehab, ask.  Or remind your mom to ask.  You may get some exercises to do at home.  You don't want to work so hard you delay healing, but you may have specifics to do.  Don't avoid them - the rehab is the most important part of your surgery and recovery.

Good luck on August 18.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 10:02:23 PM »
aww thanx jess
that made my day

-heather frum mass
*25 years old
 2 cortisone shots

Offline Jennygf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 10:22:04 PM »
Be prepared that once u are out of surgery ur knee will most likely be very immobile.  I had my scope done in may  and i wasnt able to walk for about a week.  Also make sure that u keep moving ur foot and ankle to keep the blood flowing.  Try to move your knee even when it feels stiff.  when i had my scope i would hold my leg and help my knee bend so not to have weight on my knee.  if that makes any sense.  What type of surgery are u having. Cartlige, ligament...or what?

Good Luck
Dont get stressed between now and then...u will go crazy if u think about too much

Jen
16 year old
Basketball injury to knee 1/28/05
Bad bone bruise nad torn meniscus
Lateral menisectomy 5/6/05
Soccer Goalkeepr....I wanna play

shadehawk

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 12:37:23 AM »
Heather,

You'll get post-op instructions from your OS office before surgery.  You will also be told at the hospital any other last minute instructions before they let you go home. 

For my surgery I did not need a pre-op at the hospital - I had mine done with my GP and faxed it to the OS office.  Day of surgery I just had to sign some forms and then got into the surgical gown and went into the pre-op section of the hospital and was there until my surgery.

Everything is explained as it is happening & you can ask questions.

If you are offered a femoral block get one - mine was given in my upper thigh area and it lasted for two days - the time varies person to person apparently.  Your leg is numb feeling, but you have approx 95% feeling.  I was on full NWB after surgery because of the femoral block and remained that way until the block wore off......  This femoral block is a wonderful thing - I did not have to take pain killers for two days as the block took all the knee surgery pain away.

Good luck,

Shade

support