Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn ACL and Torn Knee cartilidge  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Deucetre33

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn ACL and Torn Knee cartilidge
« on: August 03, 2005, 10:24:12 PM »
hey hows everyone doin? well I just got back from the doctor, and worser news then I thought, he told me that I have torn knee cartilidge and a torn acl and he would have to reconstruct it. my surgery date is on august 12. it just sounded sooo bad how he was telling me, and ima college basketball player! it just all sucks. 6 months of rehab also with no sports. now Ima a heavy trainer so I'd definately do everything its just I don't wanna over do it. the biggest thing for me is just trying to get it as close to 100% as possible. but it was just so bad how he was telling me it was as if my life was over. I would have never thought it was this bad because its like I can still run and dunk but I can't land on it. or do some cuts like I could before. anything that you guys could tell me to get my knee as good as possible would be very much appreciated Thank you

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Torn ACL and Torn Knee cartilidge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:26:56 PM »
HI there,
getting strong quads before having ACL recon. done is REALLY important..and it will help alot with rehab. And be sure to do 100% at your PT excersies..dont skip any! Goodluck on the 12th,
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Deucetre33

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 10:30:08 PM »
hey smiley thanks for your reply. do u know some good quad exercises that I can begin doing?

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 10:32:47 PM »
Well im not sure how bad yur knee is....there is a rang of them from very simple ones to using weights and what not. If you belong to a gym, the leg press is good..I use that with minimal weight at PT and doing squats with an excersise ball behind your back. Straight leg raises while sitting down help strenghten your VMO..hope this helps
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline Deucetre33

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 10:36:29 PM »
ok thank you I will begin immediately doing them. and also try finding a few more to help

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 10:37:58 PM »
no problem, if you search google for something like "quad strenghtening after knee surgery" it should show you a few more, goodluck
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 12:58:06 AM »
Oh, Deuce....so sorry to hear about your knee.  Between now and the 12th you can do squats and hamstring curls.  Your hamstrings are very, very important to your ACL stability after your surgery, so if you can work them now that would be cool.
I'll warn you up front....you're going to lose alot of strength (quads and hammies) really quick after surgery.  It's your body's way of making sure you don't do too much.  But, really Deuce it's not over for you unless you make that choice.  Your other choice is to work your butt off and do everything that your PT and doc tell you to do.  You'll be great!  Lots and lots of pro jocks continue with great success after ACL recon, so this is just a minor detour.
Will you still be going to school while you rehab??  This might be a good opportunity for you to focus on your studies and while you can't actually play bball, you can definately work on your 'mental' game.  Watch your team mates and figure them out.  Work on understanding your coach's strategies.  This can be a positive thing.  Without playing you can still develop as a player....it CAN be a very positive thing.
One thing I would have liked to have done before my surgery was to test my quad and ham strength so I'd have an idea of where I needed to go.  Since you're functioning pretty well, do you think your surgeon will do a prescription to your physical therapist to do a strength test?
Keep posting and be sure to let us know how you're doing...
Kat
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »
Bit of bad luck that you tore that ACL..... I completely ruptured mine in December and like you was devastated that I couldnt play sport any more.... or so I thought.  I found an excellent OS who says that I should be able to return to the level that I was playing at before.... so that is good... and Im well on the way to recovery. 

I had the surgery in May and am now 3 months down the track and it feels great although there is a long way to go... although my surgeon also said I'd be right in 6 months.... it is also not uncommon to refrain from a full return to sport for 12 months.... even for top level athletes here....But for me the knee feels as good as it did before the injury, but there is a little pain and I still can't run yet because of quad wasteage..... The hardest bit about the ACL reco I reckon is the rehab.  You have to be disciplined and patient.  I thought that I'd recover a lot quicker then I have, and I've been awfully frustrated through the process,.... until I resigned myself to the fact that it does take time to recover from, and you cannot rush it.  My knee feels really good and stable, but it also lets me know quite clearly when I am overdoing it.   I really have only been happy with my knee for the last 3-4 weeks, before that I was frustrated and upset because I still had a massive limp and couldnt get about easily.  But over the last 4 weeks I've had a pretty good time of it and it is paying off.  I guess what Im saying is that you might go through periods of being totally frustrated, but remember to push on.... if you stay patient and disiplined with your rehab.... but dont push it too hard.... it will pay off...  A friend said to me a few weeks ago... "listen to your knee and be guided by it".... it works for me.

Alla     
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 04:50:13 PM »
Hey Deuce,

Sorry to hear about injury.  In addition to your quad and hamstring strengthening, don't forget your lower leg muscles.  For instance, you can push the leg press machine all the way out (if reclining machine) place toes on lower part of board and press to do toe-ups to strengthen back leg muscles including lower leg.  As you are a college basketball player, your athletic trainers should be able to help you focus on "knee friendly" apparatus for entire leg strengthening exercises.  Also ask them about doing some proprioception exercises, or one leg balance exercises as you will be doing many of these post-op.  First start by just standing on your injured leg for three one minute periods.  Proceed to standing on a pillow and doing same thing.  Up the number of pillows.  Stand in front of a tilted tramp on one leg and throw  ball at it and catch ball on rebound.  If this isn't available, just get someone to "play catch" with.  Do this from three directions:  facing tramp (or friend), tramp or friend to left of you, tramp or friend to right of you.  Ask your trainer if they have a "sports cord" you can walk out in four manners:  walking forward, walking backward, sidestepping from each side.  As others might have mentioned, make sure you don't overdo to the point where you strain a muscle. 

Life most certainly isn't over; nor are your sports pursuits.  I was fifty years old when they did my acl recon and they had me back on the racquetball court in six months, though not at full pace.  I am close to nine months post-op and each time on the court I notice I am able to tolerate harder plants and sharper pivoting.  As yuntigrl said in her post, look at this whole deal as a great oppurtunity to work on your mental game.  I kept focusing on how to make the shots in rball which would make my opponent do all the running.  If an OS can take an old, many times pounded into the floor in rball for thirty years, knee like mine and a person who NEVER worked out, just played games, and repair my knee and train me to do disciplined workouts, you should have an even more satisfactory outcome from the surgery.  Best of luck to you. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline xXxpunkrockerxXx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My xanga site
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:05:39 AM »
ok now thats just freaky....i tore my meniscus (cartilage) AND my acl...AND my surgery is the 12th....wierd-o! yeah it really sucks being out of sports. i am like having siezures because of it!! just keep your muscles surrounding the injury strong and  do excercises. they help immensley! And try not to re-injure it. i started out w/ a torn meniscus...falling off a skateboard of course but then i re-injured it MULTIPLE times. once in football (backyard game) once at a track meet, and then finally in softball, and i forced my mother to take me to the er. just baby the hell out of it. best of luck on the 12th!
~mo~
*15 y.o*
4/05 Torn Medial Menicus
6/05 Torn Acl

Please..just let me get back to my soccer and softball!!

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 12:14:47 AM »
Hi there Deucetre 33:

You have gotten some really great advise here.  I cant tell you how much I have learned from everyone here.  I am waiting for surgery for a torn ACL (total or partial not to sure yet)  and the advice about the excersises I have gotten here has really helped me stay in shape.

Good luck to you and one important thing I have learned is listen to the knee, let it be your quide as to how much you can do.

Take care,
Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline Deucetre33

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 10:36:07 AM »
thank you guys, I really appreciate all the replies and advice you all have given me. lol I have started on all the excercises and am a bit sore. but it feels kinda good to awaken some muscles. but I will excercises as much as I can before surgery lol and hope to be actually better before the injury. thank you all