Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need to find medical terms for these words  (Read 894 times)

Offline gouldengirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need to find medical terms for these words
« on: August 03, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »
I am trying to understand a letter from my Dr. that I need to send off.I'm trying to find the meanings of these words.Where can I look for the info,or can you help??I need to know..lateral views....elevation of the patella in keeping with the joint effusion....abnormal surface nerve conduction....reduced amplitude....popliteal fossa....re-innervation polyphasic motor....in peroneal and post tibial nerve...focal injury.I just put in the main words that I need info on.Can anyone help???? PLEASE   ???

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Need to find medical terms for these words
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 06:15:43 PM »
There is a glossary from the main web page.  That will help with some of it.

Lateral view describes looking from the outside of the knee.  On the left knee that's the left side, right knee it's the right side.

Effusion generally refers to liquid in the knee - swelling.  Not sure what he means by elevated patella.  The patella is the knee cap.  Elevated could mean it's *floating* on the excess fluid,  but it could also be describing if it's sitting closer to your thigh than your shin.

Sorry I couldn't help more.  Have you met with your doctor yet, and asked him to explain all this in English?
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Need to find medical terms for these words
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »
abnormal surface nerve conduction....reduced amplitude....popliteal fossa....re-innervation polyphasic motor....in peroneal and post tibial nerve...focal injury.I just put in the main words that I need info on.Can anyone help???? PLEASE   ???

What kind of testing did you have done?  Are you having any nerve problems?  This looks like he is saying that your nerves on the surface are not conducting sensations normally, do you have numb spots or areas very sensitive?   It looks like he thinks you had a discrete injury to the peroneal and post tibial nerve.  Are you having troubles moving you foot up towards your shin?

Hope this helps.  Your Dr should explain this to you in plain English.

Good luck

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support