Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica Band Surgery - pro or con?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Mary Elizabeth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plica Band Surgery - pro or con?
« on: August 03, 2005, 04:30:56 PM »
Hi! I am new here and my problem seems comparatively minor.  I have plica band syndrome in both knees, the left being way worse. Otherwise my knees are fine, and I had a perfect MRI just a week and a half ago.  I am supposed to get arthroscopic surgery in a few weeks, and my worry-prone mother swears she has talked to several people (including nurses) who were scared away by horror stories that it never works or only makes it worse.

All I have found on the web are stories of people with that plus other issues I don't have, success stories, and statistics on success that sound pretty good (20 of 24 successful in one study).  One person in another forum on here said it didn't work for them but they too had other issues going on and didn't sound bitter about it.

I have been on the "conservative" course of PT, ice, and Advil for over a year and half. I had one cortisone shot that didn't seem to do much.  It gets better, then boom, I overdo it just a little, and it swells up and hurts again. PT sometimes aggrivates it.  I'm very active and love running so it's driving me nuts!

Does anyone know of examples of plica band surgery results, for good or bad?

Thanks!!

shadehawk

Re: Plica Band Surgery - pro or con?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 09:04:16 PM »
Mary Elizabeth,

Welcome to the KNEEguru!!   Sorry you are going through these knee problems.  I have just undergone arthroscopic knee surgery and it is not as bad as it sounds.  You have to trust what your OS is saying and if not then find another surgeon. 

You can read both successful and unsuccessful stories on these surgeries.  It depends upon the doctor, the condition of the knee and your rehab.  It is just not one thing...if you have an experienced surgeon then that is half the battle....

Read some of the Diaries in the Rehab Dept - you'll get an idea about some of the personal stories of people rehabbing  with this surgery.

Remember, you know the pain that you have and if you can continue to live with the pain or try to find a good surgeon to help your situation. 

Arthroscopic surgery is a fairly simple procedure, but there are risks with any type of surgery. http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic543.htm

Good luck with your decisions.

Shade
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 09:06:26 PM by Shade »

support