Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 12 weeks post Meniscus tear  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Jennygf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
12 weeks post Meniscus tear
« on: August 03, 2005, 03:14:48 PM »
Hey,
about 12 weeks ago i had arthroscopic surgery for a lateral meniscus tear.  the swelling hasnt gone totally away yet, but more importantly  am still experiencing pain when i run ,bike, and even walk upstairs.When  i swim i sometimes get a pain.   I went through at home PT and have been icing reguarly. I went to the doctor and he told me to rest my knee for two weeks thinking  was over doing it and for me to only swim, but I am still at the same place.  The pain in sharp at times but there is always a constant dull discomfort.  I am 16 years old and thought my rehab would be over by now.
Is this normal??  IS there anyone out there like me??
Thanks
Jen
16 year old
Basketball injury to knee 1/28/05
Bad bone bruise nad torn meniscus
Lateral menisectomy 5/6/05
Soccer Goalkeepr....I wanna play

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
Re: 12 weeks post Meniscus tear
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 05:32:29 PM »
(Cross Posted)
Hi,
Did you have a repair or menisecomy?? If you had a menisecomy I don't think you should still be having pain. I am 4 weeks PO today from a lateral menisecomy and I'm still having alot of pain too. But everyone heals differently and it takes some people longer to heal than others.Where's the pain at?? When do you go back to your OS?? Sorry don't really know what to tell you. Haven't gotton this far yet. But I don't think you should be in this much pain after 12 weeks. See what other people think. Good luck!

Morgan 
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline vgabriel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 03:43:24 PM »
Hi Jen,
it's hard, I can relate to your frustration.  I can tell you that we do not heal the same way (that's correct) however 12 wks is a long time...for a meniscus operation.  Did you also have ligament tear as well.  It’s very common that you would have ligament tear with a Meniscus injury… did the MRI or OS inform you correctly… If you did then that would explain the extended healing process.

I had the same problem, but I also had ligament tear... give it time and DO YOUR PT.. everyday.  if you have a list of exercises to do and you feel that they are not working then you should try a different PT...
Over all it's time that will correct most problems…you mentioned that you are 16 yrs old, you are young and should fully recover

Offline Jennygf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 10:16:28 PM »
My doc. didnt say anything about a ligament problem.  I had a bad bone bruise when i first hurt my knee so he had to put off surgery until the bone healed.  I dont know what to do since i am going to my coaches camp next week and then practices start.  I think once i get back from camp i will go for a MRI but i just  am scared that something else might be wrong. 
16 year old
Basketball injury to knee 1/28/05
Bad bone bruise nad torn meniscus
Lateral menisectomy 5/6/05
Soccer Goalkeepr....I wanna play

support